Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT  (Read 5887 times)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
MOT
« on: 19 February 2017, 23:12:04 »

My normal mechanic wants to charge me £55, but Mr Clutch has an offer for £22, with no commitment to have any work done with them. With MOT's being so strict these days, does it make any difference which tester you use?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: MOT
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2017, 23:18:09 »

For many years my cars were MOT'd at full price at a place that don't do repairs..... I was quite happy to pay that. He's since dropped his prices from the max  he's allowed to charge.

The choice is yours  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2017, 23:56:10 »

I been using the same MOT Man for 8 Years, he charges me £35 per test, we have built up a relationship, so how can I say this, when it comes to minor fails that can be rectified by myself..............         it may need retesting......

« Last Edit: 20 February 2017, 00:05:11 by zirk »

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2017, 15:27:48 »

My normal mechanic wants to charge me £55, but Mr Clutch has an offer for £22, with no commitment to have any work done with them. With MOT's being so strict these days, does it make any difference which tester you use?
absolutely, this is why kwik*hit etc offer tempting prices -they will find all sorts of faults that a decent mot place won't.  ideally find a place that only does mots i.e. doesn't do repairs then they have no incentive to pick faults

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2017, 17:06:23 »

Yep, my local village garage charge the full price, and I don't mind paying it because that's a reasonable sum for getting on for an hour of his time, the use of a 4 post lift in a warm workshop, a brake tester, emissions tester and so on.

More importantly, he's completely honest, knows that any advisories he gives me will be rectified next time he sees the car and  therefore I don't get any hassle unless I deserve it. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2017, 17:19:34 »

Exactly the same here Kevin, and I'm more than happy to pay £50 for the privilege. He is also a top class mechanic and will give me advice, and even occasionally loan me tools when needed.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2017, 17:24:52 »

Exactly as above, I happily pay the £48, knowing hes not trying to make work for himself.
Grumpy old man

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2017, 19:22:07 »

Lucky UK

We had to pay 90 Euro here for MOT (called TUEV here). The price is the same everywhere.

I always go to the same workshop. We know each other, it is a friendly atmosphere there, even the boss knows, I never will give my Omegas there to repair. But he accepts me as a self made man and no TUEV report will be followed by any repair order.

TUEV certifications in Germany are not given by workshops, but most workshops have contracts with free certificated experts. These experts are visiting the workshops every week and do the examination.

Of course you can go to organisations like TUEV or Dekra directly. The price is the same, but you stand in a long row of cars waiting to be tested.

Workshop testing is more comfortably, because you get a fixed time and you do not have to wait for hours.

Rolf
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2017, 09:49:40 »

I would say that a good relationship with your MOT tester is more important than price.

Although I am classed as Motor Trade, I never ask for a discount and pay £40 for my tests. I also go to a testing centre that is very strict, but due to the mileage we cover, I am happy to know that the car is in tip top condition. However, what makes the big difference to me is that my MOT guy will allow me to accompany him when doing the test, and he will point out to me various unrelated mot aspects that may or may not need attention at some point soon, and will allow me to rectify anything if needed. He is not afraid to fail something in front of me either.

For that, I am happy to pay the price - its quite a small one given a years ticket and a second set of eyes
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2017, 09:54:13 »

My MOT bloke won't test the Westfield without my help.  ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • 99 2.5 V6, 03 2.2 CD FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2017, 09:01:46 »

My mot place is a good relaxed atmosphere and the guys there only do mots no repair work carried out(apart from minor bulbs on the spot)

I have used them since they opened a couple of years ago and have taken friends cars there he used to be the owner of the garage who looked after SWMBO Omega when we had it

If something needs failing it will but if not then your good to go and for a Mere £39 im safe in the knowledge im well looked after (bonus free tea/coffee & Wifi)  :y
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Elm327 code reader And OP COM available Locally PM Me

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2017, 22:29:54 »

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements.

It that because I never use it? Never have on all my auto cars, as park is more than adequate?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2017, 23:06:09 »

Yep. Mechanism seizes if not used and can be a pain to rectify. As for Park being more than adequate - to my knowledge its a small metal peg, holding 1700kgs. ;)
Having said all of that. I don't always use my parking brake either.  ;D
« Last Edit: 26 February 2017, 23:11:12 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2017, 23:06:40 »

It that because I never use it? Never have on all my auto cars, as park is more than adequate?

It's not very good even when adjusted properly, which many mechanics struggle with for some reason. And as you say, rarely using it doesn't help.

At least the parts are cheap; new shoes and cable are about £25 each, if simple adjustment isn't enough.

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2017, 17:42:27 »

Was that a reason for failure or just an advisory?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.