Author Topic: MOT  (Read 5889 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: MOT
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2017, 18:14:52 »

I use my trusted local main Vauxhall dealer and enjoy my trade discount with them; MOT £27.

My car has never failed with them either. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2017, 18:37:40 »

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements.

It that because I never use it? Never have on all my auto cars, as park is more than adequate?

Was that a reason for failure or just an advisory?
He says below efficiency requirement. So that'll be a fail.

So (having had this numerous times), check mech at each drum is free, check cable free, then adjust as per the guide
Grumpy old man

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2017, 23:18:20 »

Still in the shop, rear calliper sent away to be refurbished. New rear pads, Rear brake pipes needed changing. Brakes have been rubbish since I bought the car.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2017, 00:57:29 »

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements.

It that because I never use it? Never have on all my auto cars, as park is more than adequate?

Simple - use it or lose it  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2017, 10:29:03 »

I pay £35 and usually get to play MOT tester alongside him doing the lights and fast idle test
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2017, 17:58:03 »

Still in the shop, rear calliper sent away to be refurbished. New rear pads, Rear brake pipes needed changing. Brakes have been rubbish since I bought the car.

How will any of that make the parking brake work better?

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2017, 19:13:11 »

How will any of that make the parking brake work better?

He fixed that, just needed cleaning up and the rear disks were o.k, needed a clean as well.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2017, 17:46:25 »

For 10 years I remained loyal to a local outfit, who changed me £45 'trade rate' for MOTs on 8 cars a year. I am still learning that loyalty is never rewarded in this world; they failed cars on more and more trivial things, and kept me waiting every time, slipping in other cars before me. Eventually I tried a smaller less busy MOT shop, they charge me £36 pensioner rate, and try to get my cars through the test if they can. They are never rushed, and have plenty of parking space. I should have changed long ago.

The same applies to car insurance and  energy suppliers, and probably several more regular purchases.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2017, 09:08:02 »

Looking at it from the other side, as a trading small printer, I must admit to charging what the market will stand, and accommodating a customer who finds  he can get a job cheaper elsewhere. 

I have insured 5 Omegas with Admiral Multicar for the last 5 years, and the premium has gone up every year. This year they wanted £3500. I sought prices elsewhere and got it down to £1461 (Hastings Direct and esure). I rang Admiral to advise them I would not be renewing with them, woman asked what price I had been offered. I told her. Oh, she said, we can match that. What! I said, you quoted £3500. Market forces, she replied. Thank you, I replied, I will bear it in mind.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2017, 12:20:11 »

Looking at it from the other side, as a trading small printer, I must admit to charging what the market will stand, and accommodating a customer who finds  he can get a job cheaper elsewhere. 

I have insured 5 Omegas with Admiral Multicar for the last 5 years, and the premium has gone up every year. This year they wanted £3500. I sought prices elsewhere and got it down to £1461 (Hastings Direct and esure). I rang Admiral to advise them I would not be renewing with them, woman asked what price I had been offered. I told her. Oh, she said, we can match that. What! I said, you quoted £3500. Market forces, she replied. Thank you, I replied, I will bear it in mind.

Yes, you must shop around.  I use the AA as my broker, whilst getting comparison prices from GoCompare. Between the two I seem to end up with a competitive price. :y

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2017, 21:17:49 »

Vented discs on my Omega, calliper beyond repair. Can't source a new one for vented discs anywhere. Even Vauxhall don't make new calipers for vented discs, have ordered one of EBay part number-9195054 if it helps anybody else with this problem.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2017, 21:50:11 »

Yup... modified and fitted early Monaro VXR calipers... same diameter discs, only they have 18mm venteds... so caliper carriers need trimming to fit the 20mm Omega discs :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2017, 21:16:38 »

For 10 years I remained loyal to a local outfit, who changed me £45 'trade rate' for MOTs on 8 cars a year. I am still learning that loyalty is never rewarded in this world; they failed cars on more and more trivial things, and kept me waiting every time, slipping in other cars before me. Eventually I tried a smaller less busy MOT shop, they charge me £36 pensioner rate, and try to get my cars through the test if they can. They are never rushed, and have plenty of parking space. I should have changed long ago.

The same applies to car insurance and  energy suppliers, and probably several more regular purchases.
I put my above thoughts to a friend at a meeting last Thursday, he said he took his car to Fourth
Avenue Autos for MOT, they were handing out vouchers at a local chip shop offering MOTs for £35. I commented there was a van parked in a layby sign written 'MOTs for £35, service and MOT for £99', I wondered whose offer it was.  I passed it again today, it was Fourth Avenue Autos. They have changed their tune.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 March 2017, 00:36:58 »

Advisory rear tyres near legal limit. Had this on the previous mot, only covered 1500 miles since then. How many miles do you think I've got before they need replacing? Fronts have 7mm each, would it be worth rotating them? On rear-wheel drive, what's more important front or rear tread levels?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 March 2017, 08:10:37 »

If they were near the legal limit 1500 miles ago, then they must be even nearer the legal limit now, although just legal maybe?!?
It's a 'no brainer', to me anyway, put some new tyres on the rear to replace the worn ones, and then you will have the better tyres on the rear which is the best position to put them.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.