Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Temperature Gauge  (Read 3221 times)

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
Water Temperature Gauge
« on: 19 March 2017, 19:15:06 »

Hi Guys

I'm really hoping someone out there can help me, first off I'm talking about a Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD the one with the 6 cylinder diesel lump in it although for my problem I don't think it matters what engine is in it.

My problem, the water temperature gauge has stopped working by that I mean the needle doesn't move off zero even when the car is up to full running temperature.

What I've done so far, both sensors have been removed from the car, the plug to the sensor nearest the bulkhead has two pins in it, when a voltmeter is connected to them and the ignition is switched on I get a reading of 5 volts.

The plug which fits onto the sensor nearest to the radiator has one pin in it when a voltmeter is connected to the pin and battery earth and the ignition is switched on I get a reading of 11.9 volts.
If I then connect a variable 1k Ω potentiometer between the pin in the plug and battery earth thus bypassing the sensor and switch the ignition on the water temperature gauge does not move, if I turn the spindle on the potentionmeter and check again the water temperature still does not move.

I'm assuming the senor with the single pin plug is the one which controls the water gauge, has anyone got any ideas where to go from this point??

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light

Clive

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Water Temperature Gauge
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2017, 21:37:54 »

single pin one is for gauge, 2 pin one is for ecu
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2017, 21:59:18 »

Take the single wire from the engine temp sensor and earth it ...... the gauge should go to fully hot. If it does, the sensor is goosed, if it doesn't, the gauge is goosed.

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2017, 23:07:30 »

Hi Guys Thank you both for your replies, Andy isn't connecting a potentionmeter between the pin in the plug and earth the same thing, I'm asking because I'm not really electrically minded.

Also could there be a break anywhere else, although I must admit I did get a reading of 11.9 volts at the plug pin.
Does this wire connect straight back to the gauge from the sensor??
I assume if I take the gauge out I should be able to test it, any ideas on how ??

Thanks for your help

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2017, 09:49:21 »

If your getting a voltage reading out of it then it does suggest that the wiring is ok and the guage has a resistance through it.then picking up the voltage from the dashboards voltage regulator. If nothing happens when you touch this wire to earth AND the fuel guage is working correctly then it does point towards the guage itself being faulty ,stuck .

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2017, 21:19:47 »

Hi Cam in head
yep I think it's got to be the gauge that's shot, looks as though my next job is take the instrument cluster out not sure if it can be done without take the steering wheel off.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2017, 21:32:02 »

Hi Cam in head
yep I think it's got to be the gauge that's shot, looks as though my next job is take the instrument cluster out not sure if it can be done without take the steering wheel off.

It can.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2017, 21:32:27 »

Hi Cam in head
Yes, it can be. Much easier if 1998 or later, but still possible on earlier ones
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2017, 21:40:06 »

Then its a case of opening up the instrument pod and replacing the guage. Ive not opened one up to look inside but the guage should be removeable. If you replace the guage ,one from any engine type from same model range will fit BUT if you replace the whole instrument panel it must be from the same engine size ,type .someone will no doubt be along soon to confirm this

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2017, 21:41:34 »

Ps ..do not turn ignition on whilst panel is removed or you will get airbag fault light i beleive . Idealy obtain a replacement pod to open up and play with before you start on yours.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2017, 21:44:12 »

Before writing off the gauge, test the connectivity between sensor and gauge, also palm of you hand firmly press of rev counter to see if instrument panel reseats on its connector.
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2017, 21:50:27 »

Thats what i was going to suggest originally but he says he has a measured voltage at the lead on the sender. This can only mean that its feeding right through the guage and getting power . Always worth a try thou! . As is reaching behind dash once its loosened and checking the main plug is in ok.

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2017, 21:46:11 »

Right fellas

First of all, don’t turn the ignition on whilst the panel is removed, I’ve been there done that on a pre facelift one I used to own.
I didn’t take the instrument panel out but I’d taken the steering wheel off and obviously the airbag, I think the job I was doing was something to do with one of the stalks, anyway I reconnected the battery turned on the ignition to check if things were working ok.
Disconnect battery again and put everything back together, steering wheel air bag etc. switched on the ignition, didn’t the airbag warning light stay on.
I was a bit worried about driving the car with it on, so had to get a mobile auto electrician to out, about 10 minutes work with his laptop, £50.

Right back to my present problem, I don’t know if I’ve opened a can of worms, I never thought about getting a scrap one to look at first, anyway it’s out of the car now and looking at it I’m thinking have I got to buy the whole instrument panel.

Tell me what you think or indeed if there are any further tests I can do at this stage.
How do I post jpeg images on this forum, you will then be able to see what I’m looking at, much better than trying to describe it.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2017, 22:40:01 »

Im sure its just a case or removing two little screws at the top and then releasing the retaining clips to seperate the front from the back .then you will see how the temp guage is fitted inside.i have a spare panel myself incase i needed any bits but havnt opened it up yet as i havnt needed any parts from it yet.someone on here will surely have a panel spare to get a guage from. Only reason i suggested getting one first to play with. They appear different pfl to fl but apart from that any panel will have the guage .but if you decide to change the whole panel you will need to be more exact

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2017, 13:39:20 »

Right .a little more here for you. ...i have looked at my spare instrument pod.if you remove the two top screws at the back it will then pop off its retaining clips all around and seperate.inside there are then 4 more screws and two more outside on the back. The whole insides then lift out. If you are going to attemp this i would strongly advise that you do it on another spare panel.the problems i can see are this. Inside is a few components and a chip. You dont realy want to be touching or damaging any of this.the temp guage has 3 soldered connections and it is held in with 2 screws from the front. To get these out you need to remove the pointer and then the legend.my pointer did not come off by gentle pressure. It may well come off with a little leverage or it may well break it. It may be possible to leave the guage 'complete' and split it between the guage and rev counter ? ?.if you Can obtain another panel to play with you will see what i mean. If it was mine i would do it but please dont take my advice on what to do its only what i would do. If you are not sure i would take down all the relevant numbers on the back and refit it. (It might work now!) then try to source a replacement.this may be the cheapest option. There should be plenty about hopefully
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.