Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear parcel shelf blind  (Read 10543 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Rear parcel shelf blind
« Reply #30 on: 01 April 2017, 17:21:40 »

Yep, you have to squeeze them together at the rear to release the clips then push them forward, the catch for the armrest needs to be unscrewed as well.

Ah thanks! :-* :-* :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 April 2017, 17:25:54 »

You will need to remove the 6 tube sleeves that the headrests fit into to get the old parcel shelf out.These have a tang on each edge which requires pressing in with a suitable set of pliers or mole grips then the entire tube will pull out leaving only the catch for the fold down back in the seats and the small center arm rest spike from being unscrewed.

All pretty basic stuff just time consuming if its the first time you have dismantled that part but very doable and quite satisfying .

Remember there is a couple of nuts that hold the parcel shelf down which need removing too,these being accessed from inside the boot area up by the Bose amp.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 April 2017, 17:32:02 »

You will need to remove the 6 tube sleeves that the headrests fit into to get the old parcel shelf out.These have a tang on each edge which requires pressing in with a suitable set of pliers or mole grips then the entire tube will pull out leaving only the catch for the fold down back in the seats and the small center arm rest spike from being unscrewed.

All pretty basic stuff just time consuming if its the first time you have dismantled that part but very doable and quite satisfying .

Remember there is a couple of nuts that hold the parcel shelf down which need removing too,these being accessed from inside the boot area up by the Bose amp.

Many thanks amba :-* :-* :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 April 2017, 17:43:09 »

Fortunately there's a guide ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 April 2017, 18:03:02 »

Just a very obvious question,Lizzie,but assume you are also getting the rear parcel with the cut out for the blind ? ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 April 2017, 18:06:46 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90506.0

Thanks DG and RobG.  I had already looked at that. It seems comprehensive enough, but the advice given in this thread gives information that does not appear to be in this guide.

Is this guide correct.  Do you for instance need to pull out the lower section of the rear seats?

VXL V6 and amb are just two members who have done this job.  I ask them, is this guide a full and correct account of what to do please? Are there any additions / corrections to be considered? :-\

Many thanks :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 April 2017, 18:07:15 »

Just a very obvious question,Lizzie,but assume you are also getting the rear parcel with the cut out for the blind ? ;)

Yes thanks, it is all coming complete :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 April 2017, 18:21:01 »

Thought you had ,but as hadn't read earlier in the thread thought I should just ask the "obvious " :)

Guide is pretty accurate although as with most jobs you will no doudt end up finding your own way of dealing with a particular method.Once all the fittings/nuts and clips have been removed you basically kneel in the recess from where the seat base was and pull the old shelf towards you from the plastic clips holding it in place by the back windscreen.It needs a good tug ,but also worth mentioning it should be lifted slightly to clear the speakers rings as these have a foam cushion on them and can get torn slightly although no big concern as they are never seen once all is secured back in place.

Also check the plug connection on your cars wiring loom as some plugs/sockets differ slightly and may require some wire cutting and soldering ...that will become obvious when you receive the new blind from Nigel

I thing you will have no issues fitting it and will appreciate the advantage of the blind when fitted :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 April 2017, 18:32:35 »

Thought you had ,but as hadn't read earlier in the thread thought I should just ask the "obvious " :)

Guide is pretty accurate although as with most jobs you will no doudt end up finding your own way of dealing with a particular method.Once all the fittings/nuts and clips have been removed you basically kneel in the recess from where the seat base was and pull the old shelf towards you from the plastic clips holding it in place by the back windscreen.It needs a good tug ,but also worth mentioning it should be lifted slightly to clear the speakers rings as these have a foam cushion on them and can get torn slightly although no big concern as they are never seen once all is secured back in place.

Also check the plug connection on your cars wiring loom as some plugs/sockets differ slightly and may require some wire cutting and soldering ...that will become obvious when you receive the new blind from Nigel

I thing you will have no issues fitting it and will appreciate the advantage of the blind when fitted :y

Thanks amba.  That is very reassuring. :-* :-* :y :y

In respect of the clips mentioned, is there every chance they will break, or if you are reasonably careful they can refitted easily?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 April 2017, 22:50:22 »

They are a white plastic push in lug similar to those that secure door cards and slot into the opposite shaped receptacle in the parcel shelf...this will become clearer when you get the parcel shelf from Nigel and have a good look at it.

In truth it would sit pretty well without them fitted as you could just push the top side of the parcel shelf tight to the rear screen ,but from memory non on mine bust so hope you fair the same,but as said they area  standard lug button .

Keep us posted when it arrives and you start fitting it if you get stuck  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 April 2017, 22:55:23 »

They are a white plastic push in lug similar to those that secure door cards and slot into the opposite shaped receptacle in the parcel shelf...this will become clearer when you get the parcel shelf from Nigel and have a good look at it.

In truth it would sit pretty well without them fitted as you could just push the top side of the parcel shelf tight to the rear screen ,but from memory non on mine bust so hope you fair the same,but as said they area  standard lug button .

Keep us posted when it arrives and you start fitting it if you get stuck  :y

Many thanks again amba :-* :-* :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 April 2017, 14:39:54 »

LZ, if you decide you are too unsure to fit your new blind when it arrives, and fancy a day out, I'll happily do it for you FOC.

But, honestly, its easier than it looks, though "fiddly" in places.  First time around, you may find it easier to the D trims (not necessary, but does make it easier the first time).  The big thing to be aware of is to look at the new shelf when it arrives, and notice the 3 (M10?) studs that aren't on your old shelf. The outer 2 of these, when you push the new shelf into place, ensure they DON'T drag across the Bose speakers.

Additionally, test the blind on the kitchen floor before fitting, using a good 12v supply, and dry lube it at same time (the stuff used for plastic curtain rails is ideal)
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02 April 2017, 16:00:04 »

LZ, if you decide you are too unsure to fit your new blind when it arrives, and fancy a day out, I'll happily do it for you FOC.

But, honestly, its easier than it looks, though "fiddly" in places.  First time around, you may find it easier to the D trims (not necessary, but does make it easier the first time).  The big thing to be aware of is to look at the new shelf when it arrives, and notice the 3 (M10?) studs that aren't on your old shelf. The outer 2 of these, when you push the new shelf into place, ensure they DON'T drag across the Bose speakers.

Additionally, test the blind on the kitchen floor before fitting, using a good 12v supply, and dry lube it at same time (the stuff used for plastic curtain rails is ideal)

Many thanks RS, and very kind of you to offer :-* :-* :-* :y :y

I am determined to do this job, as I don't normally shy away from anything.  But as much as I can do anything mechanically, when it comes to trim, things happen; like lugs and clips break, and old plastic falls apart! ::) ::)

I certainly note your advice and will do as you suggest.  If I get stuck you will be the first to know!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

With all the advice I can get on this great site of ours I should be ok :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 April 2017, 19:56:04 »

You'll also need the dashboard switch.

The centre grille doesn't have a speaker under it and the other two are fixed to the metal shelf, when you take the shelf out and especially when you fit a shelf with a blind you need to be careful of damaging the speakers.

The shelf with the blind has three threaded ends which locate through three slots on the metal shelf, when located you need three nylock nuts to secure the blind unit to the metal shelf - this is simply because the weight of the blind at a 30ish degree  angle strains the unit and it would twist.

Just one more question about the speakers please; I have Bose speakers on the back shelf with what appears to be plastic housings over them. Do you prise these off, or are there screws holding the covers with the speakers, as you say, mounted to the metal shelf?

Thanks again VXL V6, or anyone else who can answer :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.