Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Parcel Shelf Blind Fitting 2  (Read 3415 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Parcel Shelf Blind Fitting 2
« on: 11 April 2017, 18:42:54 »

I am about to start work in fitting a blind to the rear parcel shelf.

I have decided to use my current shelf and cut out the opening for the blind, using the acquired spare shelf as a template. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

With all the great advice given to me on my previous thread I feel very confident of going ahead with this "project".  All, I think, is understood by me with one exception.  How do you unscrew these headrest fixings from their tubes please? :

I do not want to damage these precious parts, so I know I must be very careful and not hamfisted!

:y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Re: Parcel Shelf Blind Fitting 2
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2017, 18:50:51 »

You will need brute force and a screwdriver to remove them....

If you drop the seat backs down and look up at them, you will see them protruding into the rear parcelshelf, you need a longish flat blade screwdriver to push in the pastic clips that hold them in place, them brute forve to push them through the hole they are sat in... If they break, theres plenty more in scrappies...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2017, 18:53:35 »

Two clips to press in at the rear.

Think you'd be better to use the blind and shelf complete rather than try and cut your one, pretty sure it's bonded and glued to the parcel shelf.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2017, 18:57:34 »

Thanks to you both :y :y

The shelf that has come through, that I bought to get hold of the blind, is not the same colour as mine and is not so well looked after; it looks dirty! ;)

The blind is already pulling away from it's shelf, and the fixings look to be no problem for me to redo :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2017, 19:08:16 »

Get upside down in the boot (ooo-errr, missus) and look at the head restraint clips from there, the clip mechanism will become clear :y

A couple of the clips are quite fiddly to get to, so you end up pressing them with a screwdriver.

Just take your time, all will be good :y

not sure about trying to reuse your existing shelf, but if you think you can, and its want you want to do, go for it :y
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2017, 19:31:11 »

Get upside down in the boot (ooo-errr, missus) and look at the head restraint clips from there, the clip mechanism will become clear :y

A couple of the clips are quite fiddly to get to, so you end up pressing them with a screwdriver.

Just take your time, all will be good :y

not sure about trying to reuse your existing shelf, but if you think you can, and its want you want to do, go for it :y

Many thanks TB :y

Lincs Robert

« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2017, 20:10:15 »

I've fitted a couple in the past & half way through found myself thinking "what have I started?"

Se be warned! Take it steady & it will be fine - just be careful with the speakers .....

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2017, 21:00:24 »

Lizzie.

I found a pair of long nosed pliers or small mole grips are best on the tangs of the headrest tubes.Once they have been depressed enough just to get them to start moving they will then just push trough as the tang will continue folding as you push .

I would also not be too inclined to be cutting your existing shelf as you could in effect end up with 1 scruffy shelf and 1 that the blind doesn't fit.

When I bought mine it was also quite shabby and the colour wasn't quite right.I got a rattle can of matt black spray paint and gave it a couple of light mist coats just to add some colour and tidy it up.In truth it isn't really matching anything else in the car and being careful will end up with a good finish.Mine when done looked factory and saved any grief of cutting bits out.

The blind is bonded to the shelf so some strong 2 part araldite or similar will hold it all back together until its fitted then its own weight will keep everything in place :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2017, 21:08:27 »

I've fitted a couple in the past & half way through found myself thinking "what have I started?"

Se be warned! Take it steady & it will be fine - just be careful with the speakers .....

Thanks LR.  I love a challenge and that is why I have worked on cars for so long.  I hope this project ends well, and I note what you say. "What have I started" I have felt on all too many occasions, but the reward of satisfaction at the end is usually so good!  So here I go........ :D :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2017, 21:09:45 »

Lizzie.

I found a pair of long nosed pliers or small mole grips are best on the tangs of the headrest tubes.Once they have been depressed enough just to get them to start moving they will then just push trough as the tang will continue folding as you push .

I would also not be too inclined to be cutting your existing shelf as you could in effect end up with 1 scruffy shelf and 1 that the blind doesn't fit.

When I bought mine it was also quite shabby and the colour wasn't quite right.I got a rattle can of matt black spray paint and gave it a couple of light mist coats just to add some colour and tidy it up.In truth it isn't really matching anything else in the car and being careful will end up with a good finish.Mine when done looked factory and saved any grief of cutting bits out.

The blind is bonded to the shelf so some strong 2 part araldite or similar will hold it all back together until its fitted then its own weight will keep everything in place :y

Thanks amba. Hadn't thought about respraying the shelf. Sounds like a very tempting way to go. :y :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2017, 21:11:08 »

Will save you some grief I bet  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2017, 21:19:38 »

Will save you some grief I bet  :y

I notice that in my old thread EMD said he had retro fitted a blind and had cut out the opening for the blind. I am now torn 50/50 on the best option.  My current shelf is like new and is exactly the right colour. Do I want the hassle of cutting a hole (I have all the right tools) or risk being dissatisfied with an off colour shelf?  Oh, decisions, decision!!  :-\ :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2017, 21:23:52 »

I realise that the question I ask in this thread had been answered in my first thread.  But, as I was still not sure or confident of really how to get the fixings for the headrests out without damaging them, I HAD to ask for clarification.

Sorry if anyone thought "why is she asking that again?". and the answers to this thread have finally clarified exactly what I have to do :-* :-*

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2017, 23:17:54 »

Recover the shitty shelf with alcantara of a shade WOT matches your interior.

Job jobbed :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2017, 16:15:09 »

Recover the shitty shelf with alcantara of a shade WOT matches your interior.

Job jobbed :y

That is a damn fine tip DG :y :y

It is pricey, but I am considering it as a possible solution as the attempt to spray paint the donor shelf is not working.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.