Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: sat nav  (Read 3784 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: sat nav
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2017, 16:11:01 »

A decent, uk/ireland sat nav can be brought for £65-£80 from most department stores,..

I have a Tom TOM full European, works fine, also have a cheap Chinese European, using iq mapping, for large vehicle's, cost £40, works fine also.

Have also used, google maps, and here maps both very good, as long as you download to your phone, so as not to use data, .

You cant beat old skool maps tho. :y
« Last Edit: 21 April 2017, 16:12:44 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2017, 11:08:40 »

Navteq want £170 for a new map for my satnav :o.  Cheeky fickers.

And TomTom are about to expire my yours-for-life iPhone app. Tosspots.

And unfortunately the replacement has a somewhat difficult UI (although once used to it, not too bad) and is miles behind both the older App and the Android version in development. Having used the Android version of Go it's actually pretty good, just a shame the iOS version is so far behind!

Never had a problem with Waze, only today it suggested a different route from normal, cut out a jam ahead. Using Google traffic data it updates far quicker to incidents ahead, also used on country routes into deep Wales without any problem

TomTom does this all the time, including closed roads. They all use similar data and algorithms but I always found Waze too clunky and slow, although I've not used it for quite a while, as well as it making some "interesting" nav/guidance choices
« Last Edit: 23 April 2017, 11:11:54 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2017, 22:18:48 »

Navteq want £170 for a new map for my satnav :o.  Cheeky fickers.

"Only" £140 for the datsun update DVD  ::)

Here Maps App (Ex Nokia Maps), Free Nav App and Map Downloads, Offline, Online working, Live Traffic, Cameras (Speed Safety Zones). Available for iOS, WinMobile, Android, Symbian, Win8,10 Apps etc.

Always been free, they own Navteq these days.

Biggest pile of crap I`ve ever had the misfortune to use Zirk, though the Seat Leon satnav ran it a very close second.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 April 2017, 10:44:41 »

[quote author=Mr Gav link=topic=139379.msg1801933#msg1801933 date=1493155128

Biggest pile of crap I`ve ever had the misfortune to use Zirk, though the Seat Leon satnav ran it a very close second.
[/quote]
Never had a problem with Here, works effortlessly, knocks spots off my old Becker and Garmin stand alones I used to use.

You sure you set it up correctly, downloaded the Maps rather than using off air etc, gets me to where I need to go every time, even tells me what side of the street I need to park up on before shopping outside the House Number.  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2017, 11:34:08 »

[quote author=Mr Gav link=topic=139379.msg1801933#msg1801933 date=1493155128

Never had a problem with Here, works effortlessly, knocks spots off my old Becker and Garmin stand alones I used to use.

You sure you set it up correctly, downloaded the Maps rather than using off air etc, gets me to where I need to go every time, even tells me what side of the street I need to park up on before shopping outside the House Number.  :y
[/quote]

I just used it on my Windows phone in the same way I have done with google maps on my Android phone, Here maps took me on a ten mile round trip, one that should have been only two miles and I could have done it in under ten minutes instead of the 35 minutes it took me  :-\

One of those situations where I only had a postcode to work from but when I got there I knew where it was, no excuses though cos it should have taken me the shortest and quickest route and it`s done it to me twice so I`ll never use it again as I don`t trust it.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.