Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Removal of rear parcel shelf - Help!  (Read 3729 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Removal of rear parcel shelf - Help!
« on: 25 April 2017, 13:36:53 »

I am now on my project to install a rear blind and shelf.

I have met a problem that I would like some answers to please.

I have gone into the boot and looked for the "3 x 10mm locking nuts" but all I can find is:

A bloody big, long, black plastic box that I have taken the visable screws out of, but still cannot release it to (I think) get to those 3 x 10mm bolts.

Advise would be greatly appreciated please!! 8) 8) 8) 8) :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Removal of rear parcel shelf - Help!
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2017, 14:00:20 »

From memory - that's the cover for the Bose amp. It unclips from above inside the car.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2017, 14:11:36 »

From memory ..... the Bose amp cover stays where it is. The screws for the parcel shelf are at the bottom of a deep-ish recess in the Bose amp cover.

Can you get a neighbour to take photo's of you lying in the boot carrying out this job ......  ::)  ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2017, 14:20:22 »

That rings a bell Andy. I believe you are correct.  :y  Its a long time since Ive done the job.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2017, 14:29:03 »

From memory ..... the Bose amp cover stays where it is. The screws for the parcel shelf are at the bottom of a deep-ish recess in the Bose amp cover.

Can you get a neighbour to take photo's of you lying in the boot carrying out this job ......  ::)  ::)

Thanks Migv6 and Andy :y :y

I have now managed to carefully lift the shelf up in it's normal position and found there are no screws / bolts are anything else holding it in place.  Mine is a very late miggie without the blind, and it seems they decided no heavy fixings were required. With the shelf out of the way I will, as you say Migv6, be able to get to the screws fastening the Bose cover to the body of the car, so when I install the replacement shelf with blind I will be able to screw it into position.  I assume the 3 x 10mm self locking nuts are those that go on the three studs under the blind unit.

As I have been able to lift the shelf enough to see underneath, I have been able to, regrettably, see that there are no fixings for a blind, and with the moulding as it is, will not take a blind unit. Just as well I have my new shelf, as cutting any piece out for a blind I deem is not possible with this shelf design.

As for pictures of me laying in the boot Andy; no, I do not humiliate myself like that nowadays! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2017, 14:41:13 »

After spraying my replacement shelf with two 150ml cans of TRG The One Super Color light grey dye I am now awaiting a further two cans to arrive in the post. 

Turning a dark grey shelf into one that matches my current light grey one is taking a lot!  But I will not take any shortcuts with this project as I want a good/excellent result!

But the time it is taking! :o :o

I will report later, once I have finished, on how I have been around the houses with this job :D :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2017, 16:10:41 »

As for pictures of me laying in the boot Andy; no, I do not humiliate myself like that nowadays! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)

;D ;D spoil sport  ;D

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2017, 16:53:57 »

From memory when I did mine Lizzie,and mines s very late Elite too,the 10mm fixing studs had no nuts on them either.
Like you I assumed VX didn't trouble with them as all that was above was a light weight almost self supporting section of coated hardboard.
The black plastic Bose casing has a recess which allows you to get a deep 10mm socket onto the nuts once the studs have been pushed back through the metal of the bodywork.
Do be very careful when you lift and ultimately fit the new shelf in place as you can easily catch the speakers with the protruding studs and that would tear the paper cones.I set a couple of pieces of thick foam rubber at the edge of the speaker so the shelf would clear them and once the shelf was nearly in place pulled the foam out.Just be careful though.
Lots of light dusting of over spray will eventually get the parcel shelf the right colour...mines been done now for 2 years + and hasn't faded. 

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2017, 17:42:17 »

From memory when I did mine Lizzie,and mines s very late Elite too,the 10mm fixing studs had no nuts on them either.
Like you I assumed VX didn't trouble with them as all that was above was a light weight almost self supporting section of coated hardboard.
The black plastic Bose casing has a recess which allows you to get a deep 10mm socket onto the nuts once the studs have been pushed back through the metal of the bodywork.
Do be very careful when you lift and ultimately fit the new shelf in place as you can easily catch the speakers with the protruding studs and that would tear the paper cones.I set a couple of pieces of thick foam rubber at the edge of the speaker so the shelf would clear them and once the shelf was nearly in place pulled the foam out.Just be careful though.
Lots of light dusting of over spray will eventually get the parcel shelf the right colour...mines been done now for 2 years + and hasn't faded.

That's very very useful amba, and thanks for that! :-* :-* :y 

Everyone is now saying the same about the speakers, and I like your idea of pieces of foam rubber to protect them.

Yes, I have given the "new" shelf 10 light coats, using a total of 300ml of spray dye, and I am still not satisfied. I have ordered another 300ml; do you think that will be enough to make the shelf a good quality light grey? :-\ :-\

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2017, 21:53:46 »

Seems a lot of paint but you are the only judge for when its correct. :y

Just go careful with them speaker cones ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2017, 10:47:55 »

Seems a lot of paint but you are the only judge for when its correct. :y

Just go careful with them speaker cones ;)

Thanks amba :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2017, 13:54:06 »

You've undo the screws holding the Bose Amp in the shelf so those need to be returned!

You don't need to remove the Bose tray, the three studs on the lower edge of the blind drop through holes in the metal shelf, the middle one falls in the middle of the Bose tray and you just fit the nylock nut using a small bar and socket in the recessed slot provided in the tray.

All the metal parcel shelves are the same with the exception of cars with no rear speakers, so an Elite from 1997 will be identical to a 2003 Elite! Late, Early, makes no difference.

A few of us have ditched the Bose shelf and relocated the Amp to the First Aid cubby hole (Just needs one pair of wires extending). To remove the shelf you need to unclip the loom, remove the screws from the top side of the shelf and the shelf will lever down. Of course you only need to do this if you want to move the Amp so the cumbersome shelf is out of the way to fit a large LPG tank or have the ability to put two suitcases in the boot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2017, 14:57:22 »

You've undo the screws holding the Bose Amp in the shelf so those need to be returned!

You don't need to remove the Bose tray, the three studs on the lower edge of the blind drop through holes in the metal shelf, the middle one falls in the middle of the Bose tray and you just fit the nylock nut using a small bar and socket in the recessed slot provided in the tray.

All the metal parcel shelves are the same with the exception of cars with no rear speakers, so an Elite from 1997 will be identical to a 2003 Elite! Late, Early, makes no difference.

A few of us have ditched the Bose shelf and relocated the Amp to the First Aid cubby hole (Just needs one pair of wires extending). To remove the shelf you need to unclip the loom, remove the screws from the top side of the shelf and the shelf will lever down. Of course you only need to do this if you want to move the Amp so the cumbersome shelf is out of the way to fit a large LPG tank or have the ability to put two suitcases in the boot.

Ah, many thanks VXL V6. I was wondering about that and getting rather confused.  That has really clarified it for me.:y

I was also worried that when I take the old shelf out will I not find any pre-drilled holes still for the base of the blind, and I would have to drill some.  So glad I will not have to. 

I think I will keep the Bose shelf in position as it doesn't bother me. Still concerned that there is not the three recesses / holes for bolting up the blind unit from underneath with the tray there. I just cannot see them in my picture of the shelf and from what I saw when laying in the boot. Are there three holes there?  From what you say VXL V6 do I only need to put one self locking nut on one stud?  Is that right?  Or will I  have to drill holes in the bottom of the Bose tray to access the bolts?  Is that right? :-\ :-\ :y :y 

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2017, 15:09:30 »

The access to where the middle stud protrudes through is in your picture - it's the u shaped hole to left of the Bose Amp fixings in your picture if I remember correctly.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2017, 15:33:16 »

The access to where the middle stud protrudes through is in your picture - it's the u shaped hole to left of the Bose Amp fixings in your picture if I remember correctly.

Many thanks again.  I now know where the hole is. :-* :y :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.