Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Booster Pack  (Read 8025 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Booster Pack
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2017, 13:40:11 »

Solar panel on the dash board seems a good idea, do they have to be hard wired into the car or can they just be plugged in to cig ligher socket? (or is that only only live when ignition is on?)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2017, 13:44:09 »

..... cig ligher socket? (or is that only only live when ignition is on?)

yes  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2017, 15:15:40 »

Solar panel on the dash board seems a good idea, do they have to be hard wired into the car or can they just be plugged in to cig ligher socket? (or is that only only live when ignition is on?)

Mine connects via the OBD socket. :y

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2017, 16:58:47 »

I had a good booster pack (3000 something or other) till swmbo rested it on the rocker cover of the astra and started the engine, it just dropped to the floor, broken panel cover both croc clips smashed
But as with the 6 million dollar man I rebuilt it and its still going.

Be careful with the solar panal on the dash, some berk took my dads one he left on the passenger seat and left my dad with a borked window and the cig lighter charger still in place
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2017, 17:26:40 »

Mine connects via the OBD socket. :y

Yep, that's a convenient unswitched live to connect to. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2017, 19:33:11 »

If you need one because your battery is frequently going flat, fix the cause, not the symptom.

Other than that, you don't need one. And as Zirk says, they are all universally shite when it comes to durability.

I would totally agree with you there but sadly the lack of use with the car is the problem, Due to illness the car hasnt turned a wheel since the 2nd of June so has sat idle for 8 weeks. :-\
You need to either get a trickle charger semi-permanently on it, or disconnect it.  Regularly letting it go flat will properly shag it remarkably quickly.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2017, 01:29:27 »

Omegas will shag the Battery if the car is left parked up, especially the Elites, if I park one one for a while I always diss the Neg of the Battery and put some plastic or cardboard between the Batt terminal and the Lead just in case, a good charged battery will last almost for ever under that scenario, as said, just make sure the Key entry works.  ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2017, 10:12:23 »

Sadly I am not in a possition (Health) to spend any time under the bonnet and cant due to the car being on the street run a trickle charger to it.

I have considered fitting a CTek charger plug in the car for connecting the CTek to it if there is ever a chance to charge it, this could also adapt to add a solar panel charger. :y

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2017, 10:19:56 »

Provided that you are only running a low voltage cable (12 volt) from your trickle charger and ensure that there isn't a trip hazard for pedestrians - like one of those flattish rubber cable covers you see in public places - you ought not fall foul of the law. Best to paint it in high visibility paint, maybe?

Ron.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2017, 10:21:19 »

Over the years I have had the AA out to start various Omegas and allways get told the battery is shagged, this one is three years old (Bosch) and with the AA paper work I should be able to claim a new battery under its gauratee.

I agree it doesnt help the life of the battery with the length of time it some times goes between use, but when it is jump started and used at least once a month the battery has never let me down which contrdicts what the AA constantly tell me.  Plus I have seen the TV documentary about the recdovery services ripping members off and know for a fact its bulls**t.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 August 2017, 10:41:26 »

In another thread (regarding leisure battery charging) I suggested checking the capacity of the battery. In brief, it entails fully charging the battery and then discharging it via a known load (I suggest an H4 headlamp bulb - 5 amp load, or two in parallel to draw 10 amps - and time it to about 90%l discharge (i.e. nearly empty).
Multiply the discharge current by the time taken in hours to discharge and you will have the ACTUAL capacity of the battery, which shoukd come somewhere near the figure on the battery's label!
If it's less that, say, 70% of specification, get your wallet out for a new one.  :'(

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 August 2017, 12:17:35 »

Over the years I have had the AA out to start various Omegas and allways get told the battery is shagged, this one is three years old (Bosch) and with the AA paper work I should be able to claim a new battery under its gauratee.

I agree it doesnt help the life of the battery with the length of time it some times goes between use, but when it is jump started and used at least once a month the battery has never let me down which contrdicts what the AA constantly tell me.  Plus I have seen the TV documentary about the recdovery services ripping members off and know for a fact its bulls**t.

Fairly standard procedure for the AA or RAC to inform the Battery is stuffed and you need a new one, they get there magic batter tester meter out, test a flat battery or one thats just been jumped and....  "Na, need a new one". When was the last time you heard a Breakdown Man say, "I'll put on slow charge overnight and come back in the morning and test it again".

I reckon Car Batteries are probably the most miss diagnosed part that gets replaced for a car, dont get my wrong they do deteriorate and sometimes just die but I'd hate to think how many perfectly good Flat Batteries end up in the Battery Container Skip, or worst still get fully charged and resold through the Breakdown Mans eBay account.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 August 2017, 17:16:32 »

I reckon Car Batteries are probably the most miss diagnosed part that gets replaced for a car, dont get my wrong they do deteriorate and sometimes just die but I'd hate to think how many perfectly good Flat Batteries end up in the Battery Container Skip, or worst still get fully charged and resold through the Breakdown Mans eBay account.
If one is left at low charge for any period, its usually not possible to get it back to anywhere near its pre-discharge capacity.  Most battery technologies exhibit this to some extent, but Lead Acid types are particularly bad.

That's not, of course, to say the battery won't be serviceable for a little bit longer.

Repeatedly doing it, or leaving it flat for extended periods (days), will severely reduce it capacity.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 August 2017, 23:36:27 »

As I have outlined in a previous thread, it is possible to recover from this low-capacity state due to being left discharged - IF it'snot a sealed or gel battery.. Messy procedure, involving emptying the acid out (and saving it), replacing it with distilled/demineralised water and repeat charge-discharge cycles several times. I suspect it ain't worf the effort, though!

Ron.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #29 on: 04 August 2017, 10:12:36 »

Not a cheap option, but we use these on a "commercial" basis, ie: just about every other car here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOCO-GB70-Boost-Pack-Jump-Starter-Peugeot-Geopolis-250-ie-Executive-ABS-2009-/272552361424?epid=1256503503&hash=item3f7562fdd0:g:SRUAAOSwtfhYnZV-

very small, quick to charge, and can start just about anything from a large diesel to a V12 Jag

Well worth the investment    :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.