Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil cooler  (Read 1197 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Oil cooler
« on: 06 October 2017, 19:52:44 »

Enthusiasm is slowly building to fix the Elite[it's only been 2yrs since I stopped using it-apart from a quarter mile run to park it in the lock up]a part of which is replacing the oil cooler.So basically a simple question,when getting it high enough to get the oil filter off and the cooler pipes released where should I position the axle stand top support it?Even I'm not stupid enough to grovel about underneath it supported solely by my trolley jack.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2017, 20:57:00 »

Not a direct answer to your post, baza, but you prompted a thought: has any manufacturer considered producing a combined trolley jack/axle stand?
Only one jacking point needed and you could lock the jack up solidly and safely.

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2017, 07:41:51 »

I've never heard of or seen such a thing,so either they've not considered the idea or they have and found it impractical?You'd think though that especially in this day and age it would be doable.maybe a business opportunity for you there :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2017, 09:53:54 »

Perhaps I should submit it to Dragon's Den?
Seriously though, can it be all that difficult to design? The problem with relying on a trolley jack is the (remote) possibility of a hydraulic leak, allowing it to lower your beloved Omega on top of you. A good mechanical engineer - not me - ought to be able to incorporate a rigid prop into the trolley jack once it has reached working height: like the centre of an axle stand, for example?

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2017, 10:13:05 »

You're trying to combine two simple, effective, reliable tools into one complicated one.

They have several conflicting operating requirements too:

The jack needs to be on wheels for the scissor action to work.
The axle stand cannot be mobile to be of any use.
The locking mechanism must be independent of the jacking one, work in a different way, and yet be infinitely adjustable.

I don't want to even see such an abortion, let alone use one.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2017, 12:46:36 »

I have at home, an old AA trolley jack, that when at a certain height, has a locking frame which, stops the arm from coming down.

The reason nobody makes one is a stabilty issue, axle stand has a larger foot print, a trolley jack at height will wobble,
Someone be able to describe it better than me.
Hoof'land storeman.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2017, 14:06:35 »

That's why in my mind I envisaged TWO outriders either side of the jack, which could be swept back alongside the pivoting arm of the jack for storage and splayed out (and locked) when deployed to keep it stable and safe.
But, as I said earlier, it needs a GOOD mechanical engineer to design it, not me!  :P

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2017, 15:43:02 »

Meanwhile back at the ranch,where do I site the axle stand while removing oil filter and undoing cooler pipes?I could of course run it up onto my ramps or just onto one ramp at the nearside,but that would then probably leave the front end too high to do the top end work comfortably.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2017, 15:51:23 »

If your trolley jack goes high enough, plant one of the front wheels on your spare wheel.

Oil Cooler, if your carefully once youve got the top plate off, its not too much of an issue to remove the cooler with the 2 pipes intact, but try not to bend them.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2017, 15:59:26 »

Aha!,a bit of lateral thinking!Never occurred to me to use the spare as a "support".For the cooler pipes I reckon I'm as well off slackening them off as if anyone can cock things up big style it's me :D ;D ;D

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2017, 17:21:17 »

Perhaps I should submit it to Dragon's Den?
Seriously though, can it be all that difficult to design? The problem with relying on a trolley jack is the (remote) possibility of a hydraulic leak, allowing it to lower your beloved Omega on top of you. A good mechanical engineer - not me - ought to be able to incorporate a rigid prop into the trolley jack once it has reached working height: like the centre of an axle stand, for example?

Ron.

Nearest thing i can think of which is similar is a shelley mechanical jack as used on landrovers. Bit like a bottle jack but purely mechanical
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.