Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XC60- initial thoughts  (Read 1846 times)

Lincs Robert

XC60- initial thoughts
« on: 04 November 2017, 22:10:28 »

Well, I’ve had it a week and am delighted. Just turned 800 miles today, collected from Edgware with 11 miles on the clock. Drove it up here & then down to Devon for a few days and back home yesterday.

It’s just superb and I’m glad I got it. I was a bit cautious about committing to such a large spend - but now know I made the right decision.

The ride is superb, excellent built quality, comfortable and surprisingly economic - for a 2.4l 5 pot with 4WD I’ve averaged 47 since collection. Driving style isn’t sporty - but I wasn’t expecting that. It’s only 5mm wider than the Mondeo, but a bit shorter length and higher, anything over 70 really sees the mpg fall, hey ho.

Tax refund on the Mondeo turned up in 6 days as well, so alls good  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: XC60- initial thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2017, 22:52:12 »

Glad you like it, I would not mind a V90 in a few years, hopefully they depreciate well !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2017, 09:12:31 »

anything over 70 really sees the mpg fall
A lot of modern diesels seem to be like that.  If I'm being stubborn an belligerent when travelling on works time (and absolutely obey every limit), the Shaguar returns very good MPG.

This tank is looking sub 30mpg I reckon  ::)
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2017, 09:51:25 »

Just over a year ago I left the Omega camp and got a '06 XC70 D5. After the MV6 the Volvo seems almost frugal  ;D

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2017, 10:32:07 »

Well, I’ve had it a week and am delighted. Just turned 800 miles today, collected from Edgware with 11 miles on the clock. Drove it up here & then down to Devon for a few days and back home yesterday.

It’s just superb and I’m glad I got it. I was a bit cautious about committing to such a large spend - but now know I made the right decision.

The ride is superb, excellent built quality, comfortable and surprisingly economic - for a 2.4l 5 pot with 4WD I’ve averaged 47 since collection. Driving style isn’t sporty - but I wasn’t expecting that. It’s only 5mm wider than the Mondeo, but a bit shorter length and higher, anything over 70 really sees the mpg fall, hey ho.

Yes.....a nice old-fashioned supple ride like cars had when they ran on high profile tyres rather than rims is good to have. The modern Germans I have driven shake your fillings. :y

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2017, 11:26:51 »

I took my astra over to Liverpool and back yesterday. For some reason the M62 was flowing freely yesterday and I didn’t spare the horses. 80-90mph most of the way back and got 55mpg.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2017, 11:45:50 »

Yes.....a nice old-fashioned supple ride like cars had when they ran on high profile tyres rather than rims is good to have. The modern Germans I have driven shake your fillings. :y

I've never understood the big-wheel-low-profile tyre thing. Just a bling thing that the motor industry can make more money from I think.  ???

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lincs Robert

« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2017, 12:02:48 »

I've never understood the big-wheel-low-profile tyre thing. Just a bling thing that the motor industry can make more money from I think.  ???

Yep, mine has 18” wheels with 235 60 profile tyres. There are also 19 & 20” options with wider and progressively lower profile and increasing costs. The actual tyre price is also pretty good, only a few pounds a wheel more than the outgoing Mondeo which was on 215 50 17s.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2017, 15:50:54 »

Do you worry about parking it close to other cars, Robert.........such as at the supermarket?

Last thing you want is for some ne'er-do-well to park next to your new pride and joy and then fling the  door open on his 1989 Orion.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2017, 15:52:25 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2017, 16:27:25 »

Do you worry about parking it close to other cars, Robert.........such as at the supermarket?

Last thing you want is for some ne'er-do-well to park next to your new pride and joy and then fling the  door open on his 1989 Orion.

But surely that can happen with any car ? I have a policy. I never want a car that somebody would want to nick or that I would lose sleep over if it got wacked in the supermarket. Life is simpler that way.

I used to have a neighbour when I lived in London who treated himself to a Porshe. He was afraid to drive it anywhere, and certainly wouldn't park it in a public place. So what's the point ?

Lincs Robert

« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2017, 16:53:00 »

That’s a good point Opti, however the first door stop seems to be set slightly less open than the Mondeo was, so I’m ok - it’s the others that are the problem & I was careful in the previous cars as well. I don’t like the Tesco car park in Sleaford, but find Lidl/Homebase ok. How do you manage?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2017, 16:58:20 »

That’s a good point Opti, however the first door stop seems to be set slightly less open than the Mondeo was, so I’m ok - it’s the others that are the problem & I was careful in the previous cars as well. I don’t like the Tesco car park in Sleaford, but find Lidl/Homebase ok. How do you manage?

I use the mighty Signum. It's huge for shopping and because it is only worth a paltry amount I don't worry too much. The Jag is used mainly for long trips.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2017, 16:58:46 »

But surely that can happen with any car ? I have a policy. I never want a car that somebody would want to nick or that I would lose sleep over if it got wacked in the supermarket. Life is simpler that way.

I used to have a neighbour when I lived in London who treated himself to a Porshe. He was afraid to drive it anywhere, and certainly wouldn't park it in a public place. So what's the point ?

Bit like my mate with his Insignificant. Parks it way away from anyone at local Tescos, Comes back and finds it surrounded. ;D ;D

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2017, 09:49:17 »

Bit like my mate with his Insignificant. Parks it way away from anyone at local Tescos, Comes back and finds it surrounded. ;D ;D

That has happened to me on more than one occasion  >:(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2017, 18:48:35 »

That has happened to me on more than one occasion  >:(

Likewise. So I now I park on the other side of the car park from the main entrance & 'encroach'  ::) on the space to my near side. It's usually enough deter others  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.