Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: battery labelled DO NOT JUMP START  (Read 4798 times)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
Re: battery labelled DO NOT JUMP START
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2017, 13:22:42 »

Just had a look at my bmw hand book out of curiosity. With reference to jump starting there is nothing unusual mentioned, with the exception of allowing a diesel to run for ten minutes prior to using it as a donor car.
As mentioned, they do have a +live post clearly marked with a big red cover under the bonnet but the starting procedure is pretty standard. It does say not to have the donor car running until the jump lead connections are complete but apart from that nothing any different.

I think that the by the time the F series came out all the modules are robust enough to survive a jump start. The service bulletin was issued for E series cars.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2017, 13:30:46 »

Just had a look at my bmw hand book out of curiosity. With reference to jump starting there is nothing unusual mentioned, with the exception of allowing a diesel to run for ten minutes prior to using it as a donor car.
As mentioned, they do have a +live post clearly marked with a big red cover under the bonnet but the starting procedure is pretty standard. It does say not to have the donor car running until the jump lead connections are complete but apart from that nothing any different.

I think that the by the time the F series came out all the modules are robust enough to survive a jump start. The service bulletin was issued for E series cars.

:y

I had several E92's (330d/335d's) but never bothered looking at the hand book/supplements so I wouldn't have noticed that.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2017, 13:32:50 »

When i was a boy in tut war, we was told on the car with the flat battery, make sure headlights are switched on, to eliminate voltage surge.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2017, 13:47:16 »

X5s were particularly fragile* for inappropriate jump starting...

Not exactly robust elsewhere either :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2017, 14:21:10 »

As jump-starting is a fact of life with cars of whatever vintage, surely the designers of modern car electronics should have incorporated a simple over-voltage protection to their sensitive circuitry? It IS easyto do!

Ron.

you've forgotten that German engineers don't expect their products to break down, so such measures are unnecessary.

There are worse problems though: Mercedes are particularly good at them. Many of the bigger cars won't shift out of park unless the engine is running. So how are you supposed to move it if it  won't start? The FWD ones have a different issue, in that they automatically move back into park after a few seconds. Winching one onto a truck is a tedious business.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2017, 15:05:08 »

The instructions came Direct from BMW Assist. It has now been rescinded  :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2017, 15:21:55 »

At one time[not long ago] if you tried a booster pack on some Fords-C-Max for one-it would blow the radio/head unit at least.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2017, 17:27:17 »

As jump-starting is a fact of life with cars of whatever vintage, surely the designers of modern car electronics should have incorporated a simple over-voltage protection to their sensitive circuitry? It IS easyto do!

Ron.

you've forgotten that German engineers don't expect their products to break down, so such measures are unnecessary.

There are worse problems though: Mercedes are particularly good at them. Many of the bigger cars won't shift out of park unless the engine is running. So how are you supposed to move it if it  won't start? The FWD ones have a different issue, in that they automatically move back into park after a few seconds. Winching one onto a truck is a tedious business.

Have a look around the shift, theres probably a small flappy bit of plastic which you can poke a screwdriver down and move a plastic lock lever, that then enables you move the auto shift out of park. There was on my c220  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 November 2017, 18:50:32 »

Ron.

Have a look around the shift, theres probably a small flappy bit of plastic which you can poke a screwdriver down and move a plastic lock lever, that then enables you move the auto shift out of park. There was on my c220  :y

But more & more models have an electrically operated column change .... like mine. I believe free wheeling hubs are available for these cars  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 November 2017, 18:57:26 »

Ron.

That doesn't apply to the ones with electronic shift levers on the steering column. Certain BMWs are the same. The original X5 had a manual release(the toolkit had a plastic thing supplied by Ann Summers to do this) which was deleted on later models.

JLR get electronic shifters and handbrakes right; they DO have a manual release. the

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2017, 08:47:32 »

Can't believe Panzerwankywagens have such fragile electrics as this while everyone else has managed to make electronics in cars pretty much bomb proof. ..   ;D

Hang on though.. Yes, perhaps I can. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 November 2017, 23:53:41 »

This is all news to me. My Volvo has battery right in the back. Never even looked at it, maybe I should.

So the risk is to your car if you are being jump started, not if you are jump starting another vehicle ?

Sorry for being so thick . . .
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2017, 01:06:37 »

This is all news to me. My Volvo has battery right in the back. Never even looked at it, maybe I should.

So the risk is to your car if you are being jump started, not if you are jump starting another vehicle ?

Read the handbook, but only ever use the engine bay terminals for jump starting purposes :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2017, 08:08:51 »

Can't believe Panzerwankywagens have such fragile electrics as this while everyone else has managed to make electronics in cars pretty much bomb proof. ..   ;D

Hang on though.. Yes, perhaps I can. ::)

'It woz not in zee spec!'

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2017, 08:27:38 »

Read the handbook, but only ever use the engine bay terminals for jump starting purposes :y

But not on an XJ Jag! Those are done off the battery in the boot and the earth stud in the wheel well provided for the job.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.