Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: lpg tank  (Read 3539 times)

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
lpg tank
« on: 24 November 2017, 20:21:42 »

Hi all what's the biggest lpg tank i can put in an omega eatate please thanks :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: lpg tank
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2017, 20:33:49 »

Hi all what's the biggest lpg tank i can put in an omega eatate please thanks :y

72L Torroidal with some modifications to wheel well and raising the boot floor about 3.5 inches
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2017, 20:40:35 »

Thanks LD don't fancy raising the boot floor though will have a rethink and maybe put a smaller tank in :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2017, 20:59:48 »

Sorry to sound negative but why have a good load lugger estate then shove a damn great tank in which surely defeats the object of having an estate. Just asking as i have never had either LPG or an estate. :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2017, 21:12:55 »

Sorry to sound negative but why have a good load lugger estate then shove a damn great tank in which surely defeats the object of having an estate. Just asking as i have never had either LPG or an estate. :-\

It goes in spare wheel location, no loss of practical load carrying  :y

For Saloons yes you do loose some space and abilities such as seats down for longer items.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2017, 22:07:58 »

Should have read what I posted then ;) It reduces the boot space to merely the size of most normal estate cars ::)

Thanks LD don't fancy raising the boot floor though will have a rethink and maybe put a smaller tank in :y

In which case it’s under 50L. Why don’t you want to raise the boot floor? :-\

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2017, 22:51:32 »

Quote from: b4ndit on Today at 20:40:35

Hav'nt really thought about raising the boot floor but my have to if the tank has to be under 50l, what does it entail? is it just a case of making a frame to lift it up? and what needs to be done with the wheel well? sorry for all the questions, thanks :-[

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2017, 23:15:23 »

Hav'nt really thought about raising the boot floor but my have to if the tank has to be under 50l, what does it entail? is it just a case of making a frame to lift it up? and what needs to be done with the wheel well? sorry for all the questions, thanks :-[

A picture paints a thousand words but it’s dark so... :D

Cut the lip off the rearmost side of the aperture to allow the gas tight box to fit and cut off the bits in the Centre for securing the wheel.

As for raising the boot... Mine was done by Cliffo b with some insulating foam and plywood. I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow, if I remember  ::)

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2017, 23:25:39 »

Been a while since I had mine put in but mine is torroidal, in the spare wheel well and around 70l? I get a 55l fill from empty.

Lasts me 200-230 miles on a 3.0 V6.

I had to raise the floor a bit, and used polystyrene sheet to do that. Cut it to shape, laid it under the boot carpet and put that back on top. Made a carpet-wrapped fillet at the boot opening to hide the edge. No need for wooden frame. No problem with heavy objects as the load is well spread by the carpet assembly.

Works a treat, and only lost a small amount of boot height. Less than 2 inches, probably 40-50 mm or so? I can measure it if need be as it's been a while since I did it.

I don't notice the loss of space really, the fuel savings more than make up for it. Still managed to fit a dishwasher in there!

No spare wheel, but in 25 years of driving I've only had to change a wheel at the roadside twice, and I have recovery.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2017, 23:29:37 »

A picture paints a thousand words but it’s dark so... :D

Cut the lip off the rearmost side of the aperture to allow the gas tight box to fit and cut off the bits in the Centre for securing the wheel.

As for raising the boot... Mine was done by Cliffo b with some insulating foam and plywood. I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow, if I remember  ::)
great thanks LD :y

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2017, 23:31:19 »

Been a while since I had mine put in but mine is torroidal, in the spare wheel well and around 70l? I get a 55l fill from empty.

Lasts me 200-230 miles on a 3.0 V6.

I had to raise the floor a bit, and used polystyrene sheet to do that. Cut it to shape, laid it under the boot carpet and put that back on top. Made a carpet-wrapped fillet at the boot opening to hide the edge. No need for wooden frame. No problem with heavy objects as the load is well spread by the carpet assembly.

Works a treat, and only lost a small amount of boot height. Less than 2 inches, probably 40-50 mm or so? I can measure it if need be as it's been a while since I did it.

I don't notice the loss of space really, the fuel savings more than make up for it. Still managed to fit a dishwasher in there!

No spare wheel, but in 25 years of driving I've only had to change a wheel at the roadside twice, and I have recovery.

thanks any pics would be helpful :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2017, 23:32:52 »

Thanks to all for putting me in the picture.  :y As i said, was asking due to total ignorance of the subject. :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2017, 09:41:50 »

To get the best from LPG, go for the biggest tank you can get away with, and also always try to run to near empty and completely fill it (IME, short filling leads to very low economy).

If the do-gooders get their way, and make soot chuckers socially unacceptable, maybe BP will reverse their daft decision to stop selling LPG, and refit the pumps at all their sites.  Then I wouldn't hesitate to have LPG again (TBE is still LPG, but I never get to drive that!)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2017, 09:44:34 »

Is it BP policy to reduce LPG selling? The BP at Hatton Cross would be my primary filling station if the 3.2 was converted.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.