Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: XC 60 - oil change question  (Read 8500 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: XC 60 - oil change question
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2017, 14:19:05 »

At the end of the day oils are vastly improved compared to years ago , you have a quality car in the Volvo I have a colleague at work who has an older one than yours covers at least 20,000 miles a year & the dealership has serviced it from new, the car has never missed a beat & is in superb condition.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2017, 15:54:49 »

Oil, like most fluids we put in our cars, starts to break down from the second it goes it.

Up until about 5 years ago there was no oil manufacturer who would guarantee certain properties of their product would still be met after 7000 miles in a fairly high performance, though NA, engine.  Given that info, I would not consider sticking to manufacturers schedules, that are not their to prolong the life of the engine, they are there to be the absolute minimum to get the car through its warranty period.

In a turbocharged car, which all diesels are now, and more and more small petrols are, you are destroying the oil faster.

The Independents, as has been stated, won the argument about non dealer servicing years ago. DIY follows the same route, it would be up to the manufacturer to prove that it was an error in the servicing AND that you were not competent.  The grey areas might be if a non genuine part that was fitted failed, as the car manufacturer could claim reasonable diagnostic costs.

As said previously, if ultra concerned about the arguments over warranty, take it to a Volvo dealer for an oil change only, though will probably cost £100-150.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2017, 16:00:32 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial excuse. :y

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty.  ;)

It'll cost you a lot more if the car develops a problem and you've invalidated your warranty.  :(

Sorry, don't agree, I've actually discussed this once many moons ago with a main dealer service manager, who reluctantly agreed that I was correct, and that as long as it is done as per spec. etc. warranty remains valid. I do agree that they may try to wriggle, but when push came to shove they would back down. :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2017, 16:15:30 »

Or go back to an old Omega & worry about sweet fa.😁

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2017, 17:13:16 »

The servicing to keep up warranty must be carried out by a VAT registered garage using OE equivalent parts.  ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2017, 17:37:31 »

The servicing to keep up warranty must be carried out by a VAT registered garage using OE equivalent parts.  ;)

Indeed, but as long as you've done that as a minimum, additional services can be done on any basis as long as you don't make a horse's @rse of it, surely? ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2017, 17:45:20 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial excuse. :y

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty. ;)

It'll cost you a lot more if the car develops a problem and you've invalidated your warranty.  :(

Yes indeed.  With all new car dealer warranties as soon as anyone else, DIY'er or non-dealer garage touch the car in any way, your warranty is invalidated. It is not worth the risk, so just let the dealer do the specified work.  As it is a new car, wasn't there a service agreement for 3 years thrown in?  The first service was always free in my day, but they were company fleet cars. :y

Lincs Robert

« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2017, 18:02:56 »

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty. ;)

Yes indeed.  With all new car dealer warranties as soon as anyone else, DIY'er or non-dealer garage touch the car in any way, your warranty is invalidated. It is not worth the risk, so just let the dealer do the specified work.  As it is a new car, wasn't there a service agreement for 3 years thrown in?  The first service was always free in my day, but they were company fleet cars. :y

It was pre-registered, so new but not new (10 miles on clock). I enquired about service packages - they are only available to new purchasers or on used cars if you take the dealer finance package - which I didn’t.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2017, 18:13:04 »

It was pre-registered, so new but not new (10 miles on clock). I enquired about service packages - they are only available to new purchasers or on used cars if you take the dealer finance package - which I didn’t.

When I bought my Mazda 626 in 2001 it was pre registered 45 miles on the clock I got the service package at £36 per month, that was from a Mazda dealership, was yours from a car supermarket or main dealer ? No finance involved.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #24 on: 17 December 2017, 18:44:36 »

When I bought my Mazda 626 in 2001 it was pre registered 45 miles on the clock I got the service package at £36 per month, that was from a Mazda dealership, was yours from a car supermarket or main dealer ? No finance involved.

Main dealer. Yes, service packages are available for a fixed monthly payment as you suggest - but I can’t see the advantage of them. The service deals available to some buyers however, offer say 2 years servicing for £199, which is a good deal - but not available to me unfortunately......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 December 2017, 18:58:53 »

And the dealer service packages are worth less than, to quote a posh bloke I used to work with, a used condom smeared in dogshit.

In this specific case, it would only get done at the manufacturer silly intervals.  And secondly, most main dealers are too incompetent/lazy/tight to be trusted to service cars.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 December 2017, 19:52:17 »

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty.  ;)

No this is incorrect Lizzie.  It used to be the case, but the law has changed that you can have your car serviced at a VAT registered garage and as long as they use genuine parts, it dosn't affect your warranty.  ;)

Some here seem to think that you can DIY with genuine parts as well and not affect your warranty, but I certainly wouldn't want to test that.  ::)

I'll be interested to see what Jimmy has to say on this subject as he has to be our resident expert on warranty issues!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 December 2017, 22:19:13 »

If it's petrol, then I wouldn't worry about it - that's what modern fully synthetic oil is meant for.

Diesels are another matter; I wouldn't run it past half the recommended interval without a change.

I'm with Nick :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2017, 08:56:50 »

If all your looking to do, is change the oil and filter for peace of mind, then just go and buy a filter from Volvo, and a quality oil, and change it, you don't have to inform any body,
Regular oil changes never hurt a car, just do it, and stop faffing about :P
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 December 2017, 17:59:06 »

If all your looking to do, is change the oil and filter for peace of mind, then just go and buy a filter from Volvo, and a quality oil, and change it, you don't have to inform any body,
Regular oil changes never hurt a car, just do it, and stop faffing about :P
Being a modern soot chucker, it has to be the right spec to protect the DPF nowadays.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.