Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank You Microsoft  (Read 2988 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Thank You Microsoft
« on: 17 December 2017, 17:36:57 »

For screwing up my pc  >:(

Got an update yesterday, after the restart I noticed that the time was one hour slow, so into time and date settings strangely the date, location and auto daylight saving were correct so I have no idea what has happened there.

Then I noticed apps missing from the toolbar and a shed load of bookmarks missing from Chrome  ::) It`s almost as if it has been set back eighteen months.

Also none of the recovery options work either, always some problem why it can`t complete the task and there are no restore points either, all gone  ???

A clean install it is then, fortunately I keep next to nothing on my C drive apart from essentials so it will be quite straight forward, just bloody annoying  :(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Thank You Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2017, 17:48:25 »

I must say over the last week I have had two Windows 10 updates and my PC is working better than when new! ;)

I must say though that, like you, in 2016 I had an update and I ended up rebuilding all my programs and re-loading most of my files, which fortunately I keep backed up on a Passport.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2017, 17:50:40 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2017, 19:04:59 »

Sounds like, quite simply, you've corrupted your profile, which is surprisingly common if you let it get too large. Only real cure for corrupted profile is restoring the profile from backup (the recovery options are to get a system working, not really for fixing profiles).

But look on the bright side, my stupid, gay, useless 2017 MacBook has just had to have the 3rd set of 2Gb updates in about the last month...   ...and the bloody thing has only been turned on about 3 times in that time.  Gimme Windoze any day of the week.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2017, 19:10:44 »

I must say over the last week I have had two Windows 10 updates and my PC is working better than when new! ;)
Its well known that my daily laptop is "old trusty", a £300 2007 HP/Compaq 6720s that comes in the bath with me several times a week, running Win 10 Creators Fall 1709, and it still boots up significantly quicker than £2,600 2017 top-of-the-range MacBook Pro. And the keys are in the right place.

Granted, its on its 3rd battery (which is about shagged as well ;D), but otherwise works well. And better than the gay Mac, hence remains my daily device :y
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2017, 20:46:03 »

Sounds like, quite simply, you've corrupted your profile, which is surprisingly common if you let it get too large. Only real cure for corrupted profile is restoring the profile from backup (the recovery options are to get a system working, not really for fixing profiles).

But look on the bright side, my stupid, gay, useless 2017 MacBook has just had to have the 3rd set of 2Gb updates in about the last month...   ...and the bloody thing has only been turned on about 3 times in that time.  Gimme Windoze any day of the week.

A couple of questions then:

How do you corrupt your profile, how does it get to big and how do I prevent it happening in the future?

After all this only happened after the Windows update.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2017, 21:12:35 »

Father in laws laptop had an “update” that crippled his browser Edge. Found no way to fix it, you can’t simply in-install and reinstall it. Left him using an alternative browser.

I also find Windows 10 incredibly hard to navigate and generally use, nothing is where you think it will be.

Also WTF have Microsoft been smoking to use capitals for tabs in office?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2017, 00:26:02 »

Funny how mankind has just accepted computing with all its many issues. Not fit for purpose.

Mrs v’s mouse went funny today. Useless for gaming. Somtimes it worked ok and other times it was slow or really quick. Swapped with my idemtical mouse and pc and it worked fine. Explain that . Rhetorical question.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2017, 09:33:41 »

Father in laws laptop had an “update” that crippled his browser Edge. Found no way to fix it, you can’t simply in-install and reinstall it. Left him using an alternative browser.
Which is the first thing I install on any Windows box I have the misfortune to use, anyway.

One wonders how many more painful Windows versions we'll actually have to endure before it all implodes with SatNad* at the helm.

*- not to be confused with a SatNav - a device which actually has some clue in which direction it's heading. :D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2017, 09:41:49 »

Had to look up Sat Nad but then I hadn't even heard of or seen a mini micro mobile phone till the government wanted to ban them.

How long before you are heading for an urgent appointment and your car stops (for an unspecified won't take long Time) for urgent software updates to be applied and a restart being necessary or worse it starts in Safe mode.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2017, 10:01:47 »

Funny how mankind has just accepted computing with all its many issues. Not fit for purpose.

Mrs v’s mouse went funny today. Useless for gaming. Somtimes it worked ok and other times it was slow or really quick. Swapped with my idemtical mouse and pc and it worked fine. Explain that . Rhetorical question.

Yes it still has it's faults, but just think back to what we had before; for most of us, nothing but pen and paper!  We didn't even have electronic calculators, and only big corporations had a room full of main frame components, with IBM 360's on another floor that had little computing power.  Now before that there was absolutely nothing (excepting the dismantled COLOSSUS at Bletchley Park) and we used our brains, along with pen and paper.  With all it's remaining flaws, I cannot imagine our lives without computers. ;)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2017, 12:38:42 »

Same happened to me yesterday...took nearly two hours to update. Then I had no emails, Apps missing, Drives renamed. >:( >:(

So I went into 'Security' and forced Windows back to the previous build. Took a few minutes, and we are running as previous, with no problems  :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2017, 16:08:21 »

Same happened to me yesterday...took nearly two hours to update. Then I had no emails, Apps missing, Drives renamed. >:( >:(

So I went into 'Security' and forced Windows back to the previous build. Took a few minutes, and we are running as previous, with no problems  :y

The update itself was pretty swift but the damage done will take longer to sort out, that is tonights little project. Everything still works ok, I have manually changed the time but there are still a few apps missing and loads of bookmarks have gone, it`s almost as if it has gone back in time but I don`t trust it so I`m doing a clean install.

I can`t use the `previous build` option as I have been on Windows 10 since it first arrived.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2017, 18:32:52 »

How do you corrupt your profile, how does it get to big and how do I prevent it happening in the future?

Generally too much shit, installing/uninstalling lots of stuff, loads on desktop, loads in c:\ProgramData.

A lot of your profile is stored in the registry, and the registry is a really piss poor storage system - moreso whe registry cleaners have spilt their milk all over it. That's why MS discourage its use for apps, but developers are inherently lazy.

You can check profile size in Advanced Settings, Advanced, User Profiles.  I too have currently got profile corruption on this laptop I'm using (Old Trusty), as my profile has grown to 9Gb, which is outrageous, but a lot of shite goes through this machine. Sub 200Mb is good.

Nowadays, I don't even bother to recover desktops, just wipe and rebuild.  Takes about 90mins...   ...when I CBA.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2017, 18:37:34 »

Of course you can't uninstall/reinstall Edge (or IE) - remember the effort they went to to ensure it was a core part of the OS a few years back, to appease the do-gooders.

I just hope to god it isn't Chrome you put on. Other, more secure options available, as Google (across the board) have not grasped security yet, as is seen on an almost daily basis ;D

My day to day browser on Old Trusty is Edge.  Its a crap browser, but is the fastest, renders well, and the first to have the balls to ban (most) plugins, thus the first wave of reasonably secure ones.  Just what the doctor ordered on a 2007 era laptop ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2017, 18:42:03 »

I do feel MS have lost their way, not really innovating any more.  That was always going to be the case when Bill Gates stopped running the show (same as crApple san Jobs).

Our problem being, there isn't a viable alternative to Windows as a desktop.  Linux (as a desktop) is a long way off for the masses, with probably the nearest being the god awful, inconsistent, bastardised distro going by the name of Ubuntu.  As for Mac and OSX, you have to be a hardened fanbois and formerly brainwashed to believe that is anywhere near Windows, though has per survey after survey, does cater well for the ladyboy (not so) niche.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2017, 21:21:15 »

Generally too much shit, installing/uninstalling lots of stuff, loads on desktop, loads in c:\ProgramData.

A lot of your profile is stored in the registry, and the registry is a really piss poor storage system - moreso whe registry cleaners have spilt their milk all over it. That's why MS discourage its use for apps, but developers are inherently lazy.

You can check profile size in Advanced Settings, Advanced, User Profiles.  I too have currently got profile corruption on this laptop I'm using (Old Trusty), as my profile has grown to 9Gb, which is outrageous, but a lot of shite goes through this machine. Sub 200Mb is good.

Nowadays, I don't even bother to recover desktops, just wipe and rebuild.  Takes about 90mins...   ...when I CBA.

That is good to know, I`ll keep an eye on that.

The odd thing is though that I don`t install loads of programs, just the ones I use and keep, I haven`t used a registry cleaner in over ten years and I only have about six things on the desktop  :-\

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2017, 09:23:06 »

Of course you can't uninstall/reinstall Edge (or IE) - remember the effort they went to to ensure it was a core part of the OS a few years back, to appease the do-gooders.

I just hope to god it isn't Chrome you put on. Other, more secure options available, as Google (across the board) have not grasped security yet, as is seen on an almost daily basis ;D

My day to day browser on Old Trusty is Edge.  Its a crap browser, but is the fastest, renders well, and the first to have the balls to ban (most) plugins, thus the first wave of reasonably secure ones.  Just what the doctor ordered on a 2007 era laptop ;)

Just looked at mine - 99gb  ::)

Any ways to see what's in it and do some clean-up?  My laptop is a x1 carbon which I use for work, it's still running like a dream, but slightly concerned that now that may soon be about to change :-[
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.