Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MK4 Mondeo Airbag issue  (Read 5267 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
MK4 Mondeo Airbag issue
« on: 31 December 2017, 02:36:20 »

I've started another thread, because, although I mentioned it in a previous one, it was more of a "rant" about car washes, and has turned into a humorous thread to this effect, so I'd like to use this one to discuss the fault / diagnosis, if that's ok. Cheeky, I know, being an Omega forum, but there are some clever folk on here :y

The Car

2010 Mondeo Zetec TDCi 140 Estate, 6 speed. 70k ish from new. Owned by my family for most of it's life.

I've driven the car for a year with no issues at all and thoroughly enjoyed it. The other day I took it to a hand car wash, and, immediately after I drove away, the airbag light was on. I thought maybe they'd rammed the hoover into a connector under the seats and upset the SRS system etc.

I took the car to the local garage on the way home, who pulled out the fault code B0001 - Driver Frontal Stage 1 Deployment Control - Circuit Resistence below threshold.

They told me that "the airbag in the wheel needs changing mate". I didn't believe them, so decided best bet would be diagnose myself.

After reading online, and a trip to Maplin I soldered a switch into my ELM327 reader  to enable me to read the Medium Speed CAN Bus and talk to the RCM (Restraint control module, AKA Airbag ECU) - and got a copy of some software that talks to Fords. So I can now read codes, reset them, and get all manner of live data. It's pretty cool.

Anyhow, I reset the codes, and the above code came back. I then looked at the live data. All of the airbags were reporting a 3ohm resistence (correct) apart from the drivers airbag, which was reporting a resistence of 1ohm. At this point, I thought maybe the garage were correct, and decided to remove the driver airbag to test the resistence myself. As I had the airbag half out of the wheel (but not disconnected) I had to start the engine to move the wheel, and noticed that the fault light had gone out, with the airbag half way out. When I put it back in, the fault came straight back.

Anyhow, I removed the airbag, and after removing the little shorting bar, I got a 3 ohm resistence with my meter, proving the airbag is GOOD and the fault lies elsewhere.

I installed a 3 ohm resistor in it's place, but despite doing so, the live data still showed a 1 ohm resistence. Then interestingly I read the data with nothing connected in place of the driver airbag, and, got the same 1 ohm reading.

To cut a long story short, with either a 3 ohm resistor or the airbag connected, when I press HARD on the clock spring behind the steering wheel (the bit with electronics in, that turns) the fault goes away, and it shows a 3 ohm resistence. Let go, and, back to 1 ohm.

So the issue appears to be the clock spring.

Would folk concur?

Can this be taken apart and the connections checked / soldered, or is it goosed? They are very costly new, and second hand parts of this nature after being beaten off by some Neanderthal breakers yard might not be a great call.

I'm pleased I persevered with it, because the garage would have charged me for a new airbag I didn't need. I really should get some of my confidence back, I'd have never considered going near a garage in the past  :( :(

Interestingly not sure how a car wash would have damaged the squib. Unless they sprayed a LOT of fluid around. I guess could just be a co-incidence, that the mondeo electrics reared their head at this stage!
« Last Edit: 31 December 2017, 02:39:49 by JamesV6CDX »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 31 December 2017, 08:06:34 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: MK4 Mondeo Airbag issue
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2017, 16:53:46 »

I would say clock spring to, repair is not an option due to how they are constructed.

Just be careful what you use to test the airbag resistance a.some meters Chuck a fair bit of current through things for low ohmic measurements.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
Re: MK4 Mondeo Airbag issue
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2017, 21:58:51 »

The clockspring connection can come loose . Found this out after a clutch change if the steering wheel isn't kept in position .Plug pulls out just a tad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.