Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car covers  (Read 1843 times)

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
Car covers
« on: 04 January 2018, 21:40:05 »

With the new car on the way I’m looking to put the omega in my garage, can anyone recommend a car cover to protect her while she’s resting?
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Car covers
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2018, 11:36:08 »

Personally I don't think car covers are needed, especially in a garage. You need to let the car 'breath' with some air rotation, the cover will just block everything. Being in a garage it's protected from the elements, so not really needed in my view.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2018, 11:38:49 »

Personally I don't think car covers are needed, especially in a garage. You need to let the car 'breath' with some air rotation, the cover will just block everything. Being in a garage it's protected from the elements, so not really needed in my view.
Those cars that are left to ‘breathe’ in barns don’t fare too well.  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2018, 12:22:20 »

Assuming the roof doesn't leak and the floor doesn't flood, ventilation is required to keep something dry in an unheated building. A car in a ventilated barn will get damp, because, often there'll be a spell of very cold dry weather followed by milder damp weather. Damp air gets into the barn and the moisture condenses on the car which has been cooled below the dew point. You are relying on ventilation to take the moisture away again when the dew point rises.

Covering the car is a tradeoff between inevitably slowing this process by interfering with the ventilation and preventing dust, bird poop, etc. settling on the car.

There's no right or wrong answer. You just have to decide based on the environment what's best. Make sure the cover is of a breathable material, though.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2018, 15:07:06 »

Old cotton sheets are as good as anything IMO and can be picked up cheaply from your nearest charity shop.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2018, 15:22:54 »

Assuming the roof doesn't leak and the floor doesn't flood, ventilation is required to keep something dry in an unheated building. A car in a ventilated barn will get damp, because, often there'll be a spell of very cold dry weather followed by milder damp weather. Damp air gets into the barn and the moisture condenses on the car which has been cooled below the dew point. You are relying on ventilation to take the moisture away again when the dew point rises.

Covering the car is a tradeoff between inevitably slowing this process by interfering with the ventilation and preventing dust, bird poop, etc. settling on the car.

There's no right or wrong answer. You just have to decide based on the environment what's best. Make sure the cover is of a breathable material, though.

Friend of mine has  an inflatable bubble car cover which uses what looks like a couple of computer fans to keep it inflated,seems to keep the dust off his classic and with the air movement should be good for it plus the cover doesnt touch the car :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2018, 16:23:08 »

Yes, as long as the fan inlets are filtered, I'm sure it's fine.  :y

If not, the whole thing'll probably fill with dust eventually, like my PC does once a year or so. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2018, 16:30:01 »

Those cars that are left to ‘breathe’ in barns don’t fare too well;D

You've just posted this to demonstrate you know the difference between breath and breathe......and Tunnie doesn't

Smartarse.

.......and how much longer do we need to endure the fooking Christmas smiley?
« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 16:31:35 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2018, 16:32:01 »

You've just posted this to demonstrate you know the difference between breath and breathe......and Tunnie doesn't

Smartarse.
Nah. I’m incapable of being that subtle  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2018, 16:41:20 »

Smartarse.
Nah. I’m incapable of being that subtle  :)

...about as subtle as a shit in a swimming pool.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2018, 19:25:27 »

Dehumidifier in the garage?

We have a less than airtight garage and after a month under cover, one of the fleet was looking awfully "sweaty".
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.