Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Very close shave this morning on black ice.  (Read 2851 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Very close shave this morning on black ice.
« on: 07 January 2018, 20:42:55 »

Heading home from work this morning on a single lane road which is a bit of a shortcut. I knew it was cold, so on a downhill section where the road was obviously wet I dabbed the brakes to check for ice. All was well so carried on as normal at 30ish mph.
As I started on the following uphill section I noticed a car approaching from the top, about 40 - 50 yards away, doing around the same speed as me.
I braked and was shocked and stunned as the car suddenly carried on as though I hadn't ! The road was like an ice rink.
Both cars were sliding towards each other at unabated speed with no room to pass, and I was certain I was about to have a big accident in a car with no airbags.
There were trees on the n/s and am 18 inch high bank on the o/s. Options were limited and the big accident was getting closer by the millisecond.
I started steering to the right, but the bank was in the way, but just before the two cars met head on , I must have steered into a bit of banking which was slightly lower and my car jumped up onto the bank. I was still sure our near sides would whack one another, but somehow they didn't.
I was then sliding along the wide grass verge on top of the bank with a deep ditch to my o/s until I saw another gap in the bank where I could steer the car back onto the road.
The biggest brown trouser moment I have had in many years. Going by the speed of my heartbeat afterwards, I think Im much too old for this kind of thing now.
It used to be fun in a perverse way, but its just scary now. ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Very close shave this morning on black ice.
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2018, 20:57:14 »

It used to be fun in a perverse way, but its just scary now. ::)

I think the difference is, when we were younger we did it deliberately, making sure we had the space to slide about/drift/handbrake turns/J turns etc. but it's a completely different matter getting caught out.
Also, we are far too sensible to do these sort of stunts now.  ;)
Glad it ended well.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2018, 21:02:24 »

I think the thing that might have saved me, which wouldn't when I was a youngster, is that I didn't panic, and actually instinctively knew that getting the car up onto the bank on the o/s was the only hope.
As a youngster I would probably have froze, or just twirled the wheel in all directions in a panic, and thought about getting up onto the banking a couple of days later.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2018, 21:06:35 »

Glad it made you think, Albs. Stop driving around in an ancient death trap, stinking the countryside out and buy a reasonably modern car that will give you at least some protection if the worst should happen.
You owe it to your family, you tight old bastard.  :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2018, 21:12:24 »

My old Merc is built like a tank. All I need to do is gaffer tape a pillow to the steering wheel, just in case.  :y ;D
I have my career as a George Clooney lookalike to think of.  :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2018, 21:13:48 »

Stop driving around in an ancient death trap, stinking the countryside out ..........

I bet he thought he'd had his chips.  ::)

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2018, 21:14:03 »

My old Merc is built like a tank. All I need to do is gaffer tape a pillow to the steering wheel, just in case.  :y ;D
Yeah. Trouble is, the only crumple zones in the vehicle are your skull and your spine.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2018, 21:14:28 »

Stop driving around in an ancient death trap, stinking the countryside out ..........

Tee hee  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2018, 21:16:08 »

Tee hee  ;D

Very droll.  :P ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2018, 21:17:18 »

Yeah. Trouble is, the only crumple zones in the vehicle are your skull and your spine.  ;D

They are both F*cked anyway, so no great loss.  ;D.............family are big and ugly enough to look after themselves now too.  :D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2018, 23:18:23 »

Glad it all ended well. :y :y :y

A lesson I learn't in my motorcycling days, once the brain has confirmed "I'm going to hit it" was to look for a way out and go for it. Luckily all the plan disparates worked with the closes to contact being rubbing an arm along the side of a car while as close to the kerb I could get while braking hard. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2018, 05:32:41 »

Agreed, don't panic and run with whatever decision you make, regardless of actual outcome  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2018, 12:53:20 »

I think the thing that might have saved me, which wouldn't when I was a youngster, is that I didn't panic, and actually instinctively knew that getting the car up onto the bank on the o/s was the only hope.
As a youngster I would probably have froze, or just twirled the wheel in all directions in a panic, and thought about getting up onto the banking a couple of days later.  ::) ;D

......you would have probably been so pissed up that you didn't care the 'rozzers' were after you and were about to crash. ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2018, 13:15:40 »

That's also true. They never once caught me in a chase though on two or four wheels. Roadblocks with cops with machine guns were a different matter though. Had to stop at those. Got caught at one on a Norton Commando when I was sixteen. A long list of charges ensued from that incident.  ::) ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2018, 13:35:42 »

That's also true. They never once caught me in a chase though on two or four wheels. Roadblocks with cops with machine guns were a different matter though. Had to stop at those. Got caught at one on a Norton Commando when I was sixteen. A long list of charges ensued from that incident.  ::) ;D

Did any of those charges involve things that go bang in the night?  :P
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.