Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Food - Child hood days  (Read 12677 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Food - Child hood days
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2018, 13:13:53 »

Gravy powder or gravy browning........ you can still get it. I think it was Burdalls. A thick brown liquid made from melted down cows.

I am with my family in North Yorkshire at moment. Shocking how little cooking the 20-30s age group do.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2018, 13:16:00 »

Both my grandmothers made the gravy in the same way: add some flour to the juices from the meat, and mix to a smooth paste. Dilute with the water left over from the greens, and pour into a gravy boat.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2018, 13:23:08 »

Both my grandmothers made the gravy in the same way: add some flour to the juices from the meat, and mix to a smooth paste. Dilute with the water left over from the greens, and pour into a gravy boat.

Yep, that sounds about right  :y Possible a tiny dash of gravy browning just for colour.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2018, 13:39:23 »

Yes gents (and Lizzie), I vaguely remember doing something similar back when you did get juices from the meat, and flavourful fat, but now we are so "healthy", those days are gone..... :(

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2018, 16:17:41 »

Gravy can be made from the meat juices and thickened with flour or as I prefer cornflour. Mix a couple of heaped teaspoons of flour with water in a cup to make a liquid and stir it as you pour it in to stop it going lumpy. If it needs a bit stronger flavour I then add browning or some gravy granules :y

Making sauces which are quick and easy to do seems to be a lost art for the under 40's where sauces can only come out of a jar. :(

How many people have and use a stockpot these days. I use mine regularly especially after a chicken roast with the stock being used to make lunchtime soups. I remove the fat by letting the stock cool down and skimming it off. :y

If you like eating good food, which I do, it has to be homemade or cooked by proper chefs at a restaurant. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

2boxerdogs

« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2018, 16:23:31 »

When I was in the Ambulance Service in London (1979-1990) if we got a job to St. Thomas's Hospital staff on station would get us to pick up bread & dripping which they sold in the canteen! Didn't like it myself but I bet it's not on the menu now.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2018, 17:07:56 »

AAAH, dripping! We always had dripping from the Sunday roast when I was very young; brown sludge and jelly at the bottom of the bowl to add flavour to the fat when spresd on bread. It simply cannot be replicated nowadays - what has happened to the world?

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2018, 17:26:09 »

I think you have to be over 30 to savour the delights of liver Tig. Pigs of course. :y Lambs is a bit dry (or SWMBO ain,t cooking it right) ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2018, 17:26:31 »

AAAH, dripping! We always had dripping from the Sunday roast when I was very young; brown sludge and jelly at the bottom of the bowl to add flavour to the fat when spresd on bread. It simply cannot be replicated nowadays - what has happened to the world?

Ron.

Meat safety apparently Ron! :'( :'(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2018, 17:29:57 »

Gravy can be made from the meat juices and thickened with flour or as I prefer cornflour. Mix a couple of heaped teaspoons of flour with water in a cup to make a liquid and stir it as you pour it in to stop it going lumpy. If it needs a bit stronger flavour I then add browning or some gravy granules :y

Yes. my Great Aunt always made her gravy with cornflower and it was the best gravy I ever tasted.  I used to tell my mum that, and she was never happy about it as my Great Aunt and her never got on due to "class" differences! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 January 2018, 17:32:00 »

Uncooked cake mix. :y :y

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2018, 17:49:20 »

I think you’ll find that food tastes just as good today as it always did.....to kids. If you’ve smoked, or drunk alcohol, or binged on hot curries, then your taste buds are f**ked. Add to that the fact that they deteriorate with age.......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2018, 17:57:40 »

Uncooked cake mix. :y :y

Mum making a cake, stirring the mix and then pouring it into cake tins from the bowl.
Child: "Mummy, can I lick the bowl?"
Mum. "No, you pull the chain like everyone else"!

Ron.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2018, 18:31:04 »

:o I remember my dad having fried bread and salt sandwiches , talk about unhealthy !

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2018, 19:14:15 »

Yes mum used to use cornflower and Bisto powder for the gravy done in the meat dish after [iirc] she'd poured off the dripping[or as dad would have it the sweat off the meat]Dripping sandwiches or dripping on toast mmmmm,yummy :y
One type of sandwich I used to love-and still have from time to time-[some friends used to think it was "dirty"]were cheese and jam.They had to be made with white cheese[not red] and strawberry jam :-*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.