Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 2418 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2018, 10:06:40 »

I am waiting in for a delivery so had a look for my dads "lost" SSE smart meter. predictably there is a smart box wired into the meter that wasn't there last time I was here.

I found the thing he was referring to. It is a plug in to a wall 13 amp socket device that gives you usage info. e.g. how much you have spent since midnight . One thing I noticed was it made me go and look for lights that could be turned off!   ;D

That sounds more like a stand-alone energy monitor. They have a current transformer that clips round one of the meter tails (and thus they can only measure current, so are wildly inaccurate). A smart meter would just be a different type of meter, with no additional boxes connected.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2018, 12:44:09 »

I am waiting in for a delivery so had a look for my dads "lost" SSE smart meter. predictably there is a smart box wired into the meter that wasn't there last time I was here.

I found the thing he was referring to. It is a plug in to a wall 13 amp socket device that gives you usage info. e.g. how much you have spent since midnight . One thing I noticed was it made me go and look for lights that could be turned off!   ;D

That sounds more like a stand-alone energy monitor. They have a current transformer that clips round one of the meter tails (and thus they can only measure current, so are wildly inaccurate). A smart meter would just be a different type of meter, with no additional boxes connected.

No, my "smart" meter also has a standalone box as Varche describes which does look very much like the old style energy monitor, but is talking to the meter rather than attaching a monitor to the meter tail.  Doesn't say much that is useful after the novelty of seeing how much it all costs.  Mine hasn't been plugged in for months.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2018, 18:17:34 »

Well they were supposed to be calling me back yesterday and didn't,nor have they tried today so I haven't even been able to tell them I don't want one :D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.