Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Smell of hot oil when engine is warming up

(1/5) > >>

terry paget:
pfl 2.5 petrol manual estate
My favourite Omega has the above failing. I do not smell it after the start up whiff, thought that may be my nose only detecting change of odour. I have cleaned the breathers yet again, but to no avail. I suppose it is smelled when the heater fan comes on as the coolant temperature rises.

Lizzie Zoom:

--- Quote from: terry paget on 10 January 2018, 10:51:22 ---pfl 2.5 petrol manual estate
My favourite Omega has the above failing. I do not smell it after the start up whiff, thought that may be my nose only detecting change of odour. I have cleaned the breathers yet again, but to no avail. I suppose it is smelled when the heater fan comes on as the coolant temperature rises.

--- End quote ---

Maybe a silly question, but you have done the breathers, did you check the spark plugs to see if any oil is around them after leaking from the cam covers? ???

Nick W:
You have cleaned the entire engine of all the old oil from the various characteristic oil leaks?
Especially the area's you can't easily see, like under the exhaust manifolds.

Omega Nige:
I had a similar problem and tracked it down to the 'o' ring seal on the oil filler cap  ;)

Enceladus:
To me this means the seals on the cam covers are leaking somewhere and oil is dripping onto one or both of the exhaust manifolds. Usually because the breathers are blocked or obstructed. Could be that the leak stops when the engine gets hot. If the breathers are clear then it might be that the cam cover seals are not the original spec GM. Also the original sealant, even when used with genuine GM seals,  will eventually fail. The newer black stuff is much better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version