Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smell of hot oil when engine is warming up  (Read 3353 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Smell of hot oil when engine is warming up
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2018, 23:01:40 »

Good tips there, "cam.in.head", thanks.
I do agree with you that the drainbung has a purpose, but mine allowed a swimming [pool to develop and gave my carpets an unwelcome rainwater wash! When I managed to clear the debris, the flap was so tired it didn't work, so it got "Serek-ed" during a service!  ;D

Ron.
Only because it had never been properly looked after...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2018, 23:12:05 »

Probably true, DG, but I didn't know there was a bung to look after until advised on here - another reason to love being here.  :-* :-* :-*

Ron.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2018, 00:08:57 »

I find the best way to clear the drain bung if it's full of crud is to fill the void below the pollen filter with half a gallon of water with a watering can or hose, wriggle your hand between the abs unit brake pipes, and squeeze the protruding end of the drain a few times, and the weight of the water will force its way through dislodging the crud, flushing the drain and flap at the same time. Far easier than removing the drain bung to clean it (getting it back is the hardest bit) or attempting to poke some wire through (which never works in my experience).
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2018, 10:40:04 »

Why such a big problem having once had a cabin of water I regularly check the flap area, if needed flush out any rubbish and if dry  hoover out any debris.The answer is regular attention.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2018, 10:58:10 »

Dare I ask if anyone is breaking an Omega and has a serviceable drain bung on offer?

Ron.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2018, 11:08:29 »

Probably true, DG, but I didn't know there was a bung to look after until advised on here - another reason to love being here.  :-* :-* :-*

Ron.
.  this is so true and i bet many an omega owner ,myself included only found out about the blocked flap once they discovered a gallon of water in the passenger footwell. a bug*** to dry out so now i check the drain regularly . all cars have these ,dare i say “design faults/issues” which only come to light as the cars get older. still worth it thou!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2018, 11:33:11 »

That is exactly how I found out about the skuttle drain.
I asked on here why I had a minor paddling pool in the footwell, as it didn't smell of antifreeze and only occured after an English summer, i.e. heavy rain! As my driveway slopes upwards, I got the benefit of a pool in the back as well.....lucky me!  :(

Ron.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2018, 19:11:58 »

i would imagine as others have said earlier that the drain grommet is in effect a one way valve with a flap to allow water out and hopefully no fumes back in. it was originally designed and fitted by gm and if it didnt need it they would have saved on production costs .theoretically there shouldnt be any fumes coming from the engine but as we all know these engines have a history of various oil leakage areas and after sorting them there are some hard to reach areas to clean off. so personally i would refit the cable grommet and clean up the drain grommet and refit .the valve realy needs checking regularly for blocking and cleaning. incidently when checking for oil leakage /smells on the passenger side its noted that the oil filler cap extention tube can leak on its bottom o ring and also from the cap especially if the o rings have hardened over time.
also a tip on a BASIC  check of the breathers to check they are at least partly open and not totally blocked is to get a piece of hose that will just fit onto the dipstick tube end and blow into it.if they are totally blocked pressure will build up and be very obvious but if there is a way through you will hear yourself blowing into the plastic ecotec bridge.a quick basic test if you are about to set off on a journey and dont want or have time to get dirty. i check mine this way when i check oil level and clean breathers out properly at oil change time
Thanks, cam in head, for your comprehensive advice. I performed your breather function test, all well there, and no hissing from cam cover gasket region. As shown in the pic, the grommet taking the wiring through the bulkhead was displaced, good thing too, because the scuttle drain grommet was completely blocked with mud. I failed to relocate the wiring grommet, so pushed the drain grommet downwards out of the scuttle bottom plate, hoping I could retrieve it from below; not so, there is a heat shield in the way. I tried to pull it upwards, but failed.
At least the scuttle will drain properly now. I suppose this is the state of affairs I should expect on an 18 year old 200,000 mile car. At least it has not flooded the cabin.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 January 2018, 11:13:36 »

thats true cos its a sod to dry out when it does especially this time of year.
also re the breathers. mine is only a basic test to meke sure they are not totally blocked. i doubt you would hear air escaping from the cam covers anyway but on an unblocked breather you should hear yourself blowing through into the plenum plastic top section.on a blocked up breather you would not be able to do this and would end up creating a pressure inside the. crankcase as you blow.
sorry if i misunderstood what you just replied. you have many years more experience on omegas than myself so not trying to tell you how to do stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.