Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corsa C - Steering Lock wont engage  (Read 1337 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Corsa C - Steering Lock wont engage
« on: 11 January 2018, 19:33:41 »

Strange one, 2001 Corsa C 1.2 SXi with EPS, Ignition Lock works but steering lock doesn't which is an MOT fail. Barrel seems all ok, steering lock mechanism free to move but had to press it down to get the barrel back in, if you take the barrel out again you have to do the same procedure to get it back in.

Anyone know the fix?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Corsa C - Steering Lock wont engage
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2018, 19:40:32 »

.....  Ignition Lock works but steering lock doesn't which is an MOT fail. .....

Never knew that,  :-\ since when? Perhaps that's why my tester asked 're my Smart Roadster which aren't fitted with one.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2018, 19:49:54 »

The Barrel has to pop out completely and click out in order for the Steering bit to lock, but I think you knew that already, so my thoughts are faulty barrel, or a strip down.

MOT fail fail, never heard that before, dont think my Tester has ever checked it, as I watch him like a Hawk when hes testing my cars.  :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2018, 19:53:12 »

.....  Ignition Lock works but steering lock doesn't which is an MOT fail. .....

Never knew that,  :-\ since when? Perhaps that's why my tester asked 're my Smart Roadster which aren't fitted with one.

I didn't think it was a fail, but I'm willing to stand corrected.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2018, 20:27:09 »

It is a fail

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/2.1/Steering-Control

Reason for rejectionn 4b
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2018, 20:29:33 »

Came into force in 2001 apparently as various Renaults had a fault where the steering lock would engage while on the move  :o

So an EU regulation enforced on our MOT test!

What's annoying is it's supposed to be from September 2001... the vehicle was first registered in November 2001  :'(

Barrel pops out as it should do, I think it's the actual physical column locking mechanism that the barrel acts on.

Just been reading on various MOT forums via a Google search and it appears that if the vehicle has alternate methods of immobilisation then should the steering lock not function (as long as it isn't impeding the steering function) then it will pass an MOT, well this car has a factory immobiliser - well it has a chip in the key, the immobiliser ring and module and wires plugged in it so i'm pretty convinced it has so i'm going to challenge that failure point.

Should add, none of my Omega's have ever failed on this and I don't think they have ever been tested for this failure (I also know that they all work anyway), this Corsa has been taken to a different MOT station to my Omega's due to time.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2018, 20:40:47 »

Therein lies my confusion. I had issues with the one on my 190 a couple of years ago, so removed the whole assembly before the MOT,which it passed.
I can understand why a faulty lock would be a fail, as its potentially lethal, but the requirement to have one shouldn't have any connection to the MOT. Its an anti theft device.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2018, 22:28:37 »

but the requirement to have one shouldn't have any connection to the MOT. Its an anti theft device.

As above,  it's not a requirement. My Roadster or Fortwo were never fitted with one, as on Saabs of old, you can lock the ignition into reverse gear.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2018, 00:09:13 »

It's certainly a construction and use requirement that there's some form of immobiliser. It doesn't necessarily have to be a steering lock.

But the wording of the MOT manual suggests that if it was originally fitted, it has to work. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.