Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vans.... any experts?  (Read 3762 times)

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
Re: Vans.... any experts?
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2018, 19:29:43 »

I suppose there is always an element of luck....& risk. I can only try & mitigate against any huge bills/disasters by going for one with a good history
& reasonable mileage. There are an awful lot of Sprinters on the road, I assumed because they were very reliable but maybe it's because of lack of choice. The Transits seem very popular too but maybe for the same reason. The Transits are a bit cheaper so I could get something newer & therefore less likely to start rusting  :-\  Or maybe, I go cheaper & keep funds in reserve in case of any future big bills...
Anyhow, radar is now switched on & being monitored!

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2018, 00:38:55 »

This bloke is based in Oxford & sells ex plod, no idea if he`s any good mind  ???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/forcevans

Ebay trading rules might play in your favour if it turns out to be a lemon  :-\

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2018, 07:59:28 »

This bloke is based in Oxford & sells ex plod, no idea if he`s any good mind  ???

Thanks...I had already seen a couple they were advertising, will keep an eye  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2018, 09:32:21 »

It's a case of finding one of a size and shape that suits your use, and hoping you get away without too many of the expensive problems.

So basically the same as buying a car?  :) Though I do get that vans are considered entirely 'consumable' - primary market, I guess, is medium and up businesses who run them until they're financially off the books (3 years?) and then dispose of them, at which point they get bought up on the secondary market that Ford/GM/etc don't give two hoots about..

On second thoughts, that sounds a lot like cars, too, just replace 'financially off the books' with 'the PCP is finished' and 'medium and up businesses' with 'people'! :(

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2018, 11:00:20 »

It's a case of finding one of a size and shape that suits your use, and hoping you get away without too many of the expensive problems.

So basically the same as buying a car?  :) Though I do get that vans are considered entirely 'consumable' - primary market, I guess, is medium and up businesses who run them until they're financially off the books (3 years?) and then dispose of them, at which point they get bought up on the secondary market that Ford/GM/etc don't give two hoots about..

On second thoughts, that sounds a lot like cars, too, just replace 'financially off the books' with 'the PCP is finished' and 'medium and up businesses' with 'people'! :(
....all sounds plausible to me. The other issue for me is paying for it! As well as being old  :o I am maybe old school!? I have always tried to stick to  the adage : "If you haven't got the money, don't buy it". My Dad kind of tried to guide me & other than a mortgage of course, if I can't afford to buy it, I don't buy it. I won't borrow money for a car - probably why I drive an Omega  ;D :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2018, 16:12:50 »

Using his stock as examples,

ALL OF THE VEHICLES WITH TWIN REAR WHEELS, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, REQUIRE A C1 LICENCE AND TACHOGRAPH.

The two large Transit Minibuses, as above, but require D1. If you past your test in 1997 or later, then budget about £1400 for an appropriate five part test or forget the idea. ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 24 January 2018, 17:11:57 »

Given JDX referred to himself as "old", I suspect he passed his test long before 1997, but you never know..

I mean, I'm barely middle aged and I have C1 & D1 entitlements (passed 1995) - part of me would still like to get my C & CE, for no particular reason other than filling my license up ;D

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 24 January 2018, 17:28:34 »

Given JDX referred to himself as "old", I suspect he passed his test long before 1997, but you never know..

I mean, I'm barely middle aged and I have C1 & D1 entitlements (passed 1995) - part of me would still like to get my C & CE, for no particular reason other than filling my license up ;D
Mine has: AM, A1, A2, A, B1, B, C1, C, D1, D, BE, C1E, CE, D1E, DE  and fklnpq whatever they are.  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 January 2018, 20:11:49 »

Mine has: AM, A1, A2, A, B1, B, C1, C, D1, D, BE, C1E, CE, D1E, DE and fklnpq whatever they are.  :-\
Unless you have had a medical for them, these aren't valid, Driver CPC notwithstanding ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 24 January 2018, 20:16:28 »

Mine has: AM, A1, A2, A, B1, B, C1, C, D1, D, BE, C1E, CE, D1E, DE and fklnpq whatever they are.  :-\
Unless you have had a medical for them, these aren't valid, Driver CPC notwithstanding ;)
No idea, Al, it’s just what it says on my licence.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.