Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery terminal clamp - dumb question cos I'm an idiot!  (Read 6949 times)

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
Re: Battery terminal clamp - dumb question cos I'm an idiot!
« Reply #30 on: 24 January 2018, 10:42:25 »

Pos and neg terminals are different sizes, the isolator should be fitted to the neg usually.
Thanks...I will attempt fitting the new one when it arrives  :y

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 January 2018, 10:43:56 »

Maybe a suitably positioned spanner under the bonnet is the answer. :y
Provided I fit it properly, I don't see whats wrong with the isolator - no spanner to find or loose  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 January 2018, 11:02:29 »

I ordered an isolator as linked by Fuse 19, and after reading your post, Rods2, I'm glad I did.
Ok, I may not suffer a similar fate, but the car and its electrics are now 17 years old.....

Ron.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 January 2018, 11:10:54 »

I ordered an isolator as linked by Fuse 19, and after reading your post, Rods2, I'm glad I did.
Ok, I may not suffer a similar fate, but the car and its electrics are now 17 years old.....

Ron.
:y :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 January 2018, 15:20:03 »

BH, that was quick! I ordered that isolator yesterday, delivered this morning!
looks quite solid, too, with a post hole on the extension to the terminal, just like on the Omega :y :y :y

Ron.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2018, 16:10:25 »

BH, that was quick! I ordered that isolator yesterday, delivered this morning!
looks quite solid, too, with a post hole on the extension to the terminal, just like on the Omega :y :y :y

Ron.
Marvellous... :y

dave-b

• Wigan, Lancs.
    • Elite 3.0 F/L
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 January 2018, 18:12:25 »

Dont forget, if you fit an isolator, you wont be able to unlock the car with the remote buttons on the key, unless it has a small fused bypass, which would defeat the object really, as it would also allow battery drain over long idle periods.
Whatever you do, dont deadlock it and then isolate the battery and close the bonnet, or you'll have fun getting back in.  :'(

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 January 2018, 20:02:14 »

Dont forget, if you fit an isolator, you wont be able to unlock the car with the remote buttons on the key, unless it has a small fused bypass, which would defeat the object really, as it would also allow battery drain over long idle periods.
Whatever you do, dont deadlock it and then isolate the battery and close the bonnet, or you'll have fun getting back in.  :'(
You can still Deadlock and then diss the battery, just make sure the key works correctly in the Drivers door, when unlocking all the other doors will remain deaocked untill the battery is conected again, then just re unlock using the Fob or Key again to re sync the locking system.  ;)
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 20:09:00 by zirk »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 January 2018, 21:25:38 »

You can still Deadlock and then diss the battery, just make sure the key works correctly in the Drivers door, when unlocking all the other doors will remain deaocked untill the battery is conected again, then just re unlock using the Fob or Key again to re sync the locking system.  ;)

Thank you, gentlemen; I had overlooked that aspect of isolating the battery. You could have saved me some furute aggro!

Ron.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 January 2018, 21:48:19 »

Thank you, gentlemen; I had overlooked that aspect of isolating the battery. You could have saved me some furute aggro!

Ron.
That goes for me too!  :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 January 2018, 03:48:18 »

Not on my 2.5 CDX Saloon. Battery flattened due to one of the rear reading lights left switched on with deadlocks engaged. Only the boot could still be opened with the key. By good luck I was able to fold down a rear seat and climb in to release the bonnet catch.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 January 2018, 09:05:44 »

Not on my 2.5 CDX Saloon. Battery flattened due to one of the rear reading lights left switched on with deadlocks engaged. Only the boot could still be opened with the key. By good luck I was able to fold down a rear seat and climb in to release the bonnet catch.

You weren't trying the door lock hard enough  ;) They will luck with a key, but you do have to use a lot of force. Plus you need to use the key every now & then.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 January 2018, 17:09:15 »

Theres 4 reasons why you couldn't open your drivers door.

1 Key Lock has seized up through lack of use.
2 Wasn't using enough pressure on the key to take it out of deadlock
3 The door did unlock but you didn't realize it because the button didn't pop up or you were not pulling the door handle at the same time.
4 The drivers side key lock only has been changed in its previous life.

My money is on the first 3, the 4th normally happens when someone falls victim of one of the first 3.  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 January 2018, 17:14:51 »

I have used these before (which looks like what was in the original post) and they have been generally ok....as long as they are well tightened when you go to start!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Battery-Disconnect-Isolator-Cut-Off-Switch-12v-24v/172096775398?epid=1689092970&hash=item2811c464e6:g:E68AAOSwsE1aFZLJ

How is the negative cable attached to this? It is not obvious from the pic Mark. :-\ :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 January 2018, 17:40:21 »

I have used these before (which looks like what was in the original post) and they have been generally ok....as long as they are well tightened when you go to start!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Battery-Disconnect-Isolator-Cut-Off-Switch-12v-24v/172096775398?epid=1689092970&hash=item2811c464e6:g:E68AAOSwsE1aFZLJ

How is the negative cable attached to this? It is not obvious from the pic Mark. :-\ :y
It clamps on the end of it at 90 degrees..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.