Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New MOT Test  (Read 7989 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: New MOT Test
« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2018, 16:06:06 »

Buy a throwaway modern car, say three years old. Run it for 3/4 years and, well, throw it away. Nimps.

Problems solved , off to the building society first thing in the morning 😉

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 January 2018, 18:06:24 »

I recall with affection the comment by the police garage mechanic telling Quentin Wilson why they liked 24v Senators; "we change the brake pads every 2 weeks and the tyres once a month. Nothing else goes wrong on these cars".

Good job they didn't have TheBoy driving for them, then. :y
I'll have you know I'm yet to change the pads on the Jag...

If they look like this, they are past needing changing, just FYI ;)

;D
That could explain the brake judder....
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 January 2018, 19:18:07 »

Personally, I am more worried about cars over 40 years old being excempt from an MOT.

Can't agree with that most cars over 40 years old or older would be owned by enthusiasts probably owner club members & take pride in their chosen classic, I have a friend who owns a 1973  MG Midget & a 1975 MGB GT V8 cover very few miles annually but are still serviced & tested every year. My concern would be more with the local hooligan in the 3 series BMW who cannot really afford to maintain it properly & who drives with no regard to other motorists.

I know of quite a few who are incapable of maintaining their classic and rarely have work done on them unless it fails an MOT.....these very much worry me  :y

Exactly my point. Yes most people who drive classics know their cars inside and out and will maintain to a very high standard. Myself included. BUT as said above there are most likely people who drive their cars without a care in the world and know nothing about them until mot time,its been known for people to drive cars with known faults minor or major and do nothing sbout them until mot runs out when they then decide if it will fail on more things and become too expensive to fix.the point is.the new mot rules could maybee take a few more unroadworthy cars off the road but if no mot is needed on older cars they could be driven in a dangerous state as they may never get inspected .im all for tightening up mot rules but cannot see any benefit to anyone to make some cars exempt

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 February 2018, 14:34:34 »

You say rules come in May 2018, but already searching past tests at DVLA they list all faults found with 'fail' points at the top, then advisories right at the bottom.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 February 2018, 18:00:05 »

Personally, I am more worried about cars over 40 years old being excempt from an MOT.

Can't agree with that most cars over 40 years old or older would be owned by enthusiasts probably owner club members & take pride in their chosen classic, I have a friend who owns a 1973  MG Midget & a 1975 MGB GT V8 cover very few miles annually but are still serviced & tested every year. My concern would be more with the local hooligan in the 3 series BMW who cannot really afford to maintain it properly & who drives with no regard to other motorists.

I know of quite a few who are incapable of maintaining their classic and rarely have work done on them unless it fails an MOT.....these very much worry me  :y

I've met them too. And they outnumber the ones who care enough to maintain, let alone fix, their stuff before it breaks.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 February 2018, 18:04:14 »

Argh! Just what are we looking at there ? Is that a ventilated disc with one surface "gone" and the ribs acting as the disc? What vehicle is it?

Yup - exactly that.. no idea what vehicle though, just an image I've seen on the internet a few times (there are other examples, equally staggering!)

I've seen that on a recovery truck! When the grumbling noise under braking stopped, he previous owner told the driver I told you there was nothing wrong with it! :o :o  The whole thing was in a similar state; the centre track rod broke, and the prop fell out when a UJ fell apart

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 February 2018, 18:55:48 »

This egr stuff,is this from a certain year as my disco 300tdi runs with it removed and blanked off.
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.