Chat Area > General Car Chat

Corsa, Engine Problems

(1/29) > >>

JamesV6CDX:
Not a help or information request as such (although all opinions welcome) - more of a rambling thread.

Currently parked on my drive is a Vauxhall Corsa, it's a 2007 'D' with the almighty three cylinder 1 litre 12 valve engine. Female owned long term, not ragged or modified, reasonable history of oil changes etc.

I was told "It doesn't start very well, and when it's going, it judders a bit. It also stalls".

Understatement of the year  ;D It will only start at WOT, and then runs on at least only two cylinders, possibly one and a half. It won't idle, and cuts out as soon as it comes to a standstill.

Fault codes stored are: lambda sensor no2 open circuit, lambda 2 heater fault, general misfire, and misfire cylinder 1.

I've not looked at it, other than this (haven't even lifted the bonnet yet) - but will do so today.

My money, in this order, is on

1) Burnt out / damaged valve
2) Ring / piston trouble
3) Coil pack
4) Plug

Doesn't use any oil, and no visible smoke from the rear.

I'll be surprised if no1 is the troublesome cylinder, though, as normally on the three pot lumps, I thought it was usually no3 that suffers.

With aches/pains/rain I won't be doing any more than removing the plugs and doing a visual inspection / compression test today, but place your bets here as to what's wrong  ::)

JamesV6CDX:
Interestingly, four years (and only 20,000 miles ago) she paid silly money to a garage, to fix a misfire. Having seen the invoice, this includes "cylinder head removal, resurfacing, and replacement of burnt out valve(s)"

So - something causing valves to burn - running lean due to fuelling issue perhaps

Or, maybe the garage couldn't be arsed to grind the valves in properly, causing  this further premature failure through lack of heat dissipation

Or worn guides.

Who knows  ;D

Marks DTM Calib:
Well if its not using oil then it wont be a piston or ring issue

Compression test as first job (pop the throttle body off to get it to WOT or put something on the accelerator)

JamesV6CDX:

--- Quote from: Fuse 19 on 23 January 2018, 08:03:08 ---Well if its not using oil then it wont be a piston or ring issue

Compression test as first job (pop the throttle body off to get it to WOT or put something on the accelerator)

--- End quote ---

Will do so, and post results - first job today.

There looks to be loads of room to work, and the engine small and light, so I quite fancy taking it on as a little challenge, especially if it's likely to be limited to top end trouble :y

henryd:

--- Quote from: JamesV6CDX on 23 January 2018, 08:04:59 ---
--- Quote from: Fuse 19 on 23 January 2018, 08:03:08 ---Well if its not using oil then it wont be a piston or ring issue

--- End quote ---

Will do so, and post results - first job today.

There looks to be loads of room to work, and the engine small and light, so I quite fancy taking it on as a little challenge, especially if it's likely to be limited to top end trouble :y

--- End quote ---

If it's the same one litre lump that the Corsa C had then head removal is quite a laborious task for something so small although as said access is good

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version