Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Historic?  (Read 4096 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Historic?
« on: 25 March 2018, 13:09:39 »

I see the first non-stop passenger flight from Australia to England has just been done.Apparently it landed a few minutes ahead of the estimated time and doing the journey in one go shaves something like 3hrs off the usual time taken when stopping in the middle east for fuel/change of aircraft.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Historic?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2018, 14:05:30 »

Historic indeed; another great milestone in aviation! 8) 8)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2018, 19:13:19 »

I vowed after 5 hours transatlantic that was it. 17 hours in the air?  :o :o
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2018, 22:53:13 »

I vowed after 5 hours transatlantic that was it. 17 hours in the air?  :o :o

I avoid flying whenever possible, but I would have thought that a bit of a break would be good rather than 17 hours and DVT  ::)  And with time differences etc, do 3 hours really matter ?
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2018, 09:01:07 »

For me, it's not a question of three hours - it's the hassle and stress of trying to clear immigration/security/etc in the transit airport, get from gate to gate, hope that your first flight wasn't delayed because, if it was, you've probably missed your connecting flight etc.

I'd much rather get on, go there, and get off where I intended to be. In fact, I fairly regularly travel to Seattle for work and I much, much prefer the 9-9.5hr direct flight than the hassle of transiting via anywhere - especially as, every time I've done that, there has been a lot of additional stress, lost luggage, almost missed flights, cancelled connections etc.

.. of course, the new direct route is to Perth. Who wants to go to Perth?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2018, 09:29:02 »

But from Perth you can get a connecting flight to.. Oh, Wait! ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2018, 09:34:11 »

Exactly ;D

I suppose it's only a short 41hr drive to Sydney...

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2018, 09:42:23 »

Exactly ;D

I suppose it's only a short 41hr drive to Sydney...

Just take an Uber. Oh.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2018, 10:26:59 »

The first civil UK (Heathrow) to Sydney non stop was done back in 1989 and took just over 20 hours. There were only 16 passengers on board though. http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Qantas%201st%20England-Aust%20non-stop%201989.htm. The RAF hold the record for UK->Perth at around 16 hours, but that does include two in-flight refuelings.

For me the daftest part of the traditional Kangaroo route is the insistence on departing LHR at night (typically 9PM-11PM), bouncing through some mid point for a 2 hour refuelling break (Bankok, Singapore, or the mid-east) and then arriving in SYD at 5-6AM. That may work for business and first class passengers with lay flat seats and beds, but for the cattle down the back (like me) arriving after a 22-24 hr flight at 5AM, and then facing staying awake for another 12 hours till it gets dark again to avoid near fatal jet lag is dreadful.

Much much better to get the noon flights (11AM-1PM), arrive in SYD at 6-8PM and go straight to bed. However, the number of lunchtime flights has dramatically reduced in recent times presumably because economy passengers aren't profitable, but business/first class passengers are.

The way home is more difficult. You can get back in the same day, but only from Darwin leaving at about 6AM, and arriving at LHR around 6PM. Virtually everything else arrives LHR at 5-9AM which leaves you with similar jetlag issues. Much better to get a daytime flight SYD->SIN, overnight in Singapore, then a daytime SIN->LHR. Plus it allows you to read off the mil ramps at Changi from the cactus garden near the Burger King (or is that just me  ;D).

And I'd rather walk than use BA or Qantas.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2018, 11:53:36 »

For me, it's not a question of three hours - it's the hassle and stress of trying to clear immigration/security/etc in the transit airport, get from gate to gate, hope that your first flight wasn't delayed because, if it was, you've probably missed your connecting flight etc.

I'd much rather get on, go there, and get off where I intended to be. In fact, I fairly regularly travel to Seattle for work and I much, much prefer the 9-9.5hr direct flight than the hassle of transiting via anywhere - especially as, every time I've done that, there has been a lot of additional stress, lost luggage, almost missed flights, cancelled connections etc.

Lot of UK expats live in Perth including my brother in law and family. They cannot wait to use the service rather than the old style stopover with all the hassle as described. Not for me. I would consider driving though............  They wouldn't put the service on if it wasn't going to make money.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2018, 18:31:12 »

17 hours in the air ? ye gods , i can just about cope with the flight to Turkey  :o

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2018, 19:04:47 »

17 hours ... ?? Just over 1/2 my longest flight (30 hours 35 minutes) .. although that did include 3 air-to-air refuels ...... :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2018, 19:08:02 »

What did you do Nige - tie a knot in it?  ::)

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2018, 19:21:52 »

I have to tolerate going to America this year, and that's only 7hrs.  That's about double my flying limit.
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2018, 19:34:24 »

Range of a normally-laiden 787-9 = 14,260km
LON > Perth = 14,468km

They must be limiting capacity in order to make it which means they will up the fares to compensate.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2018, 19:42:26 »

Ron.

No need .. the facilities on the C130 Hercules were 2nd to none ..... (believe that and you'll believe anything!! .. but we did have proper urinals and a "bucket-and-chuckit" chemical toilet ...  :)  )

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2018, 19:52:14 »

Ron.

No need .. the facilities on the C130 Hercules were 2nd to none ..... (believe that and you'll believe anything!! .. but we did have proper urinals and a "bucket-and-chuckit" chemical toilet ...  :)  )
Not to mention the sodding great big self flushing hole at the back :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2018, 19:56:38 »

Ron.

Not a lot of use at 28,000 ft ... depressurising to open that would be a tad painful and "might" just lead to a "slight" shortage of breath as well as rather cold "bits" ...  :)  :)  :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2018, 20:05:37 »

Ron.

Not a lot of use at 28,000 ft ... depressurising to open that would be a tad painful and "might" just lead to a "slight" shortage of breath as well as rather cold "bits" ...  :)  :)  :)

Not to mention disposing of the 'privacy shower curtain' in a rather dramatic fashion ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2018, 20:22:31 »

LON > Perth = 14,468km

They must be limiting capacity in order to make it which means they will up the fares to compensate.
The 789 is a deceptively large aircraft... Possible that they aren't planning on carrying freight on that route :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2018, 20:23:01 »

Ron.

Not to mention disposing of the 'privacy shower curtain' in a rather dramatic fashion ::)
Well, there is that :D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2018, 20:55:32 »

LON > Perth = 14,468km

The 789 is a deceptively large aircraft... Possible that they aren't planning on carrying freight on that route :-\

Just wait until the A350-1000 comes in to service in Europe. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2018, 22:32:53 »

787-10 shouldn't be too far behind it 8)

The standard A350 is another aircraft that is bigger than it looks... Prettier than the A380, but the Dreamliner is a more elegant design... Something about the shape of the nose reminds me of the Comet...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2018, 22:55:50 »

Ron.

Curtain only of use if you actually lower the bucket into position before use ..... and yes .. I've seen a passenger climb up and try to use it in the stowed position ........  :)  :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2018, 22:58:43 »

787-10 shouldn't be too far behind it 8)

The standard A350 is another aircraft that is bigger than it looks... Prettier than the A380, but the Dreamliner is a more elegant design... Something about the shape of the nose reminds me of the Comet...

3x3 in the back. Can do 3-4-3 but it's very cramped. The amount of IT on board these things now is incredible. Will keep me in a job for a while :D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2018, 09:05:37 »

I’m certainly looking forward to using the Direct flight in the future... Dubai to Melbourne is 16 hours so the extra hour makes it worth it (if flying Direct with no stopover). I’d then seriously consider driving from Perth to Melbourne when doing it.

As for flight times... We had a midday(ish) departure from LHR and arrived into Melbourne late evening... Virtually no jet lag at all going out there but it hit me like a ton of bricks about 5 days after getting back to the UK - just as I was getting back into work ::)

What people forget is that long haul flights are not in the same league as short haul when it comes to comfort and facilities, especially if you have a young child and get the bulkhead seats 😉
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2018, 09:33:06 »

I’d then seriously re consider driving from Perth to Melbourne when doing it.

FTFY LD  :)

That's a great drive to do once for the adventure.  :y

The reality is that much of it is a very long boring drive through flat scrubby desert.  One well known stretch the '90 mile straight' is notable, but there are lots of 89,88,87 etc etc straights as well!  ::)

It took me 3 days in an elderly Ford Cortina which I rarely took over 70mph and it's not advisable to drive across the Nullabor Desert or the vast farmlands at night as feral camels tend to settle down on the warm tarmac at night and Kangaroos have a habit of jumping out!  :o

You regularly see massive bloodstains on the road where a Kangaroo has jumped out in front of a roadtrain!  ::)

Believe it or not the Western Australia Police patrol with planes to catch people speeding!  ::)  It really is the absolute middle of butt opps nowhere!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2018, 11:26:21 »

The reality is that much of it is a very long boring drive through flat scrubby desert.  One well known stretch the '90 mile straight' is notable, but there are lots of 89,88,87 etc etc straights as well!  ::)

It took me 3 days in an elderly Ford Cortina which I rarely took over 70mph and it's not advisable to drive across the Nullabor Desert or the vast farmlands at night as feral camels tend to settle down on the warm tarmac at night and Kangaroos have a habit of jumping out!  :o

You regularly see massive bloodstains on the road where a Kangaroo has jumped out in front of a roadtrain!  ::)

Believe it or not the Western Australia Police patrol with planes to catch people speeding!  ::)  It really is the absolute middle of butt opps nowhere!  ::)  ;D

Yep. Seriously looked at it last time we are there ;)

Looking at the prices I’ve just been emailed they have loaded the economy price for LHR - Perth... It’s cheaper to fly to Melbourne. Premium Economy is, however, slightly cheaper than the Melbourne flights.

I think we will actually have a couple of days layover in Bubai next time though
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2018, 15:08:43 »

Yep. Seriously looked at it last time we are there ;)

Looking at the prices I’ve just been emailed they have loaded the economy price for LHR - Perth... It’s cheaper to fly to Melbourne. Premium Economy is, however, slightly cheaper than the Melbourne flights.

I think we will actually have a couple of days layover in Bubai next time though

I got that wrong.  ::)

It was 3 days from Adelaide to Perth!  ;)  Melbourne to Adelaide was another 2 days IIRC.  :)

We took 3 weeks to drive from Sydney to Perth.  Although that allowed for a fair few drinking days!  ;D

We may have got entangled with members of the fairer sex as well, which held us up a bit here and there!  8)
« Last Edit: 27 March 2018, 15:17:36 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2018, 19:35:20 »

Great! When will they do Adelaide direct? I can go and see my mum.

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.