Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airlines getting their comeuppance  (Read 1095 times)

STEMO

Airlines getting their comeuppance
« on: 30 March 2018, 11:41:14 »

Airlines have always been arrogant when it comes to their liabilities to passengers. Not any more, apparently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43585393

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Airlines getting their comeuppance
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2018, 11:59:46 »

Seems like a good kick in the balls. :)

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2018, 12:31:13 »

£500 must be a number plucked from thin air, surely? A lot of cheap flights only cost about £50.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2018, 12:45:00 »

£500 must be a number plucked from thin air, surely? A lot of cheap flights only cost about £50.

True, although, in the past I’ve booked non  refundable accommodation abroad, for short breaks, and then lost out on it because of budget flight cancellation, or lost out on advance train fares etc

If it’s the airlines fault I’m all up for them forming out :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2018, 16:47:39 »

The price you paid for the flight is irrelevant. The compensation is related to flight distance and destination - €250 for up to 1500km within the EU, up to €600 for over 3500km to outside the EU.

Google EU261/2004. There are people who deliberately buy up cheap flights (sub €25) on 'unreliable' routes with no intention of ever travelling solely to claim the compo. 

The intention is to try and make airlines do every thing in their power to transport passengers in a timely manner.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2018, 16:50:40 »

True, although, in the past I’ve booked non  refundable accommodation abroad, for short breaks, and then lost out on it because of budget flight cancellation, or lost out on advance train fares etc

If it’s the airlines fault I’m all up for them forming out :y

Terms and conditions of all the carriers specifically exclude consequential losses. If you want to be covered for loss of hotels/car hire etc. then you either book a package holiday including the flights or take out separate holiday insurance.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2018, 19:35:31 »

Compensation paid is based on length of flight (km) and length of delay (hrs). So you can receive substantially more than the ticket cost you paid and claim it even if you didn’t pay for the ticket. I’ve claimed a couple of times for flights that my employer paid for.

Compensation is up to €600 per person. So a family of 4, delayed back from the USA for example, could be due over £2000 in total. But yes, £500 is a trumped up figure, but probably a sensible guess, by the time claimants add on court, baliff and other costs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.