Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: google chrome pop up  (Read 2840 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: google chrome pop up
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2018, 22:03:54 »

Chris (zirk) put this up a year ago.....and it still works. I have just loaded windows 10 on a new drive, took a chance on this, and it installed with no problems, and runs well. Also updates with no problems.
Although not a virus protector, it does clean loads of crap out of temp folders, etc, where a lot of nasties hide, and reclaims space.....

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=138453.msg1783046#msg1783046
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2018, 23:30:46 »

Ive just installed this. I ticked to turn on automatic maintenance. Is this the correct thing to do ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2018, 10:10:59 »

Ive just installed this. I ticked to turn on automatic maintenance. Is this the correct thing to do ?
That's what my car is set to.  :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2018, 10:38:11 »

That said, I wouldn't use AVG or Avast either ;D
For free they are better than nothing. Look at the other options....
1. Symantec - This program is(possibly was) awful. In fact the reduction in performance caused by this used to be worse than the effects of the virus.
2. Kaspersy - The Russian issue as mentioned above. This is one of the better options IMHO.
3. McAfee - I've mainly used this in an enterprise environment and it was horrendous to manage. It's also not the best at finding malware/viruses. We currently use this at work and the 'Endpoint Protection' has stopped many applications from working without work arounds. AV should be a background, unnoticable element, until it finds something.

The other players are all quite small and may offer some amazing AV solutions, but I have no real world experience of them. I do have real world experience of the above 5. For free, I'd opt for Avast/AVG. For paid for, I'd still go with Kaspersky unless you are working on secret stuff.

You'd be a fool to trust your data/computer to Windows Defender and something like ClamAV.  :)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2018, 11:12:41 »

You'd be a fool to trust your data/computer to Windows Defender and something like ClamAV:)

Fixed, and we can all go home now. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 April 2018, 11:16:54 »

You'd be a fool to trust your data/computer to Windows Defender and something like ClamAV:)

Valid point.  ;) Although Windows is what most people use. I would describe myself as quite an advanced Windows user, but when it comes OSX and Linux, I consider myself just a user. I can follow instructions, but I know DOS commands a lot better than than the other two OS's.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 05 April 2018, 14:09:00 »

Yeah. Window's Malware Protection Engine does a really good job </sarcasm>

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 April 2018, 17:20:08 »

You'd be a fool to trust your data/computer to Windows Defender
I do every day, both professionally and personally.  Even if the last 3 weeks have been fraught ;D.

Even with the last week, when we have looked elsewhere "just in case", overall the MS suite, including Defender for users, comes out a winner for Windows.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 April 2018, 17:36:31 »

Its a myth that Unix and half arsed derivatives like Mac OSX are virus free...  ...even if our oppswit developers thought their stupid Macs were immune, and they run (even more oppswitted) as UID 0.  Needless to say, after some red faces and being shouted at, they use AV and their local accounts are normal users (though I still notice the oppswits immediately su as soon as they open a terminal window).

Windows is secure. Every bit as secure as things like Linux and Mac OS, probably more so because it has to be. The problem is the users.  The first thing a really thick Windows user does is use an Admin account day to day, the next retarded thing is read dangerous wank on t'interweb and disable UAC, because security is so tedious, and they think it makes their penis match the size of their ego... ;). These types of users then install the lame Ubuntu (aka, Linux for *REALLY* stupid people) and run as root, giving their machines over to anyone who wants them.

MS are ahead in security practices, because they have been doing it longer, due to being targeted for longer.  The others all playing catch-up. That includes kernel devs, and browser makers.  Although, I do think MS have lost their way in the consumer area, following the excellent Vista and almost as good Win7 their OS's have been flawed.  Win8 is a great OS with a near unusable UI, Win10 is still buggy and suffers bipolar.

Opps, sorry, I forgot, I should know its trendy to hate MS
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 April 2018, 01:39:39 »

Kaspersky has had some bad press lately, and have supposedly given the source to various Western authorities for them to look at.

Clearly the US security agencies still aren't happy, but whether or not that's the US playing silly buggers or Kaspersky showing modified code will never been known.

This is not the first time this has been rumoured, and part of the reason I stopped using it 15+ years ago.  That said, I wouldn't use AVG or Avast either ;D

Yes I read about the latest troubles on the news just before my annual renewal came round.

Personally I don`t think the average user has much to worry about and Putin certainly isn`t going to be interested in by browsing habits, it probably has more to do with it being trendy to hate the Russians at the moment. I still use it and it still works well.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 April 2018, 03:04:42 »

Kaspersky has had some bad press lately, and have supposedly given the source to various Western authorities for them to look at.

Clearly the US security agencies still aren't happy, but whether or not that's the US playing silly buggers or Kaspersky showing modified code will never been known.

This is not the first time this has been rumoured, and part of the reason I stopped using it 15+ years ago.  That said, I wouldn't use AVG or Avast either ;D

Which version of their 'source'? The problem for Russia is that the experienced Kremlin watchers know their games and why they aren't known as the people of the middle earth 'orcs' for nothing. The Russians are by far the best on the planet for security and psyop black arts and black hat techniques and it is only right they are called out for them. :y :y :y The West's weakness is that we are too trusting and give people the benefit of the doubt, especially useful fools. :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.