Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total 4x4 electrics failure. Help pls  (Read 1090 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Total 4x4 electrics failure. Help pls
« on: 08 April 2018, 09:49:20 »

Have had the weekend from hell culminating on just getting home last night.

First sign of trouble was the headlights went dim. Wipers stopped working, electric windows didnt work. Dash lights went and also the headlights with about nine miles to go. Did the last five using a smart phone light and peering out of door. I am thinking alternator. With about five miles to go it stalled (diesel) . Nothing at all when tried starter but did jump syart in reverse. Nearer home the engine started to falter presumably as the battery went flat.

Any ideas please?  I can get the battery on charge and thankfully breakdown cover includes home recovery but i would like to investigate first. Skip next background para  if notinterested in  run up to weekend from hell!

Friday the 94 year old MIL had a funny turn so off to local hospital. Predicatably they kept her in and then on Saturday morning transferred her to Granada main hospital at 9 a.m. spent the rest of the day on a trolley being analysed, scanned, x rayed. Long periods of not really knowing what was going on or what next. Hard to get anything to eat in case you missed the tannoy call to take her to next place or consultant. Then the cafe closed at six. At eight she went into observation where they decide at 11 p.m. ish whether to keep in or not. So huge crowd of patients family gather outside observations wards. In our case a doctor very patiently ( despite clearly being over worked) explained she could go home but with a regime we have to follow. One issue was low blood sodium levels. For us there were pluses and minuses with her discharge. So about 1.30 a.m. we shovelled MIL into thecar and went in search of a 24 hour chemist for a long list of new prescriptions. Failed to find anywhere open so left it till Sunday to find somewhere.. got home at 4 a.m.  the saying character forming springs to mind. 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Total 4x4 electrics failure. Help pls
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2018, 10:28:48 »

Alternator (or the wiring from it to the battery)

Start with Kevin's guide......
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2018, 11:21:35 »

Definitely alternator (or charging) related. Follow the guide as suggested
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2018, 13:06:40 »

Not an answer to your question,but I sincerely hope your MIL recovers real soon. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2018, 14:20:57 »

Aye, sounds like alternator has packed in, but as others have said, follow Kevin Wood's guide in Mtce Guides section :y

Although a different car, you should get similar voltages :)
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2018, 13:28:28 »

12.44 volts. So assumed alternator. Had car lorried to garage today ( all car insurance has compulsory breakdown cover). They are doing job and replacing drive belt as well as it is cracked.

Thanks for help.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.