Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: xenon lights  (Read 7371 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
xenon lights
« on: 10 April 2018, 22:38:24 »

How high are they on your shopping list for another car or your existing car?

Essential?

Gimmick?

Just something else to go wrong after a few years?

Must have - to blind other road users?

Fashion statement?

Bi xenon? (i.e. main and dipped) good idea?

No point as once you reach a certain age you never go out in the dark as your eyesight "isn't as good as it used to be"
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: xenon lights
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2018, 22:51:45 »

My next car will NOT have normal halogen filament bulbs. I had HIDs on my Omega & just never expected my R Class to not have them ...... so never looked for them. My Merc's lights are sh1te. Never had a problem with my Omega's HIDs and never needed to change a 'bulb' in 10 years.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2018, 22:56:59 »

Xenon's are very high on my list of goodies.

After 3 Omega's (with) one e39 (without) and now Saab 9-5 (with)...... I certainly missed them on the BMW.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2018, 23:01:36 »

It’s a must have on my commuter/3.2 replacement, the Zafira’s lights are crap.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2018, 00:03:14 »

TBH, I've come across rubbish lights that are HID and excellent lights (MUCH better than Omega HIDs) that are halogen so it doesn't matter a lot to me. HIDs last longer, but more expense and hassle when they do fail. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2018, 01:47:09 »

TBH, I've come across rubbish lights that are HID and excellent lights (MUCH better than Omega HIDs) that are halogen so it doesn't matter a lot to me. HIDs last longer, but more expense and hassle when they do fail. :-\

I know you will give a honest answer Kevin, but how has a legal 55w bulb offered a better solution to HID?  I've use'd illegal bulbs (in a BMW) and still terrible 'throw'.

In my experience, Omega HID's are just as good as anything brand new (read, Mondeo's, 3eries, Hi-Lux, Navara)  They lose the Bi-Xenon, so High-Beam is compromised, but unless you are dogging.......
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2018, 08:37:19 »

I know you will give a honest answer Kevin, but how has a legal 55w bulb offered a better solution to HID?  I've use'd illegal bulbs (in a BMW) and still terrible 'throw'.

The reflector and lens are more important than the type of bulb. A good quality 7" round H4 lamp is still hard to beat for effectiveness.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2018, 09:47:03 »

Agreed Nick
I converted my Carlton estate to the Moretti quad kit and fitted the Manta quad kit to a Mk 1 Cav I owned
Best light is from a round light

Keith ABS

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2018, 10:48:50 »

The reflector and lens are more important than the type of bulb. A good quality 7" round H4 lamp is still hard to beat for effectiveness.

I have a spare one of those if anyone wants to buy a big hole saw and stick one on their car ;) (they came in pairs.. one got dropped, so now I have three)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2018, 11:10:40 »

My Indian motor car has HIDs which are adequate but nothing special, and not as good as the HID's on my 2003 MV6.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2018, 11:19:43 »

My Indian motor car has HIDs which are adequate but nothing special, and not as good as the HID's on my 2003 MV6.

Are you sure its not your eyesight that's dimmed over the intervening years?  :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2018, 11:31:00 »

Are you sure its not your eyesight that's dimmed over the intervening years?  :P

Absolutely not, James. :P

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2018, 11:39:54 »

Absolutely not, James. :P

Apparently, doing to much of 'it' can impact your eyesight

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2018, 11:55:45 »

Exactly. Packaging constraints and the need for them to look "right" has hobbled the effectiveness of a lot of modern headlights. You can't really beat a nice big, round, parabolic reflector.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2018, 12:35:36 »

For me they are a must, the quality of light is far better than halogen, the Omegas HID`s were a revelation after years of halogen lights and the Zeds are better still, plus they`re bi-xenon so full beam is excellent too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.