Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Is This Really The End Of My Omega?

(1/5) > >>

Omega Geezer:
Hi All,

l'm a newbie and have written a bit about my Omega history in the Newbie Welcome Area section.

l have a 2.6 V6 24v Auto Elite 2003 which had some recent work done including both engine heads removed and skimmed and new cambelt kit. l was told that the water pump was okay, so it was not replaced. Problems are still developing with the car and it's too complex a situation to take it back.

When l turn over the engine a knocking noise comes from the top of it. Also water is leaking from the water pump. The AA say it is most likely the camshaft that is causing the problem and in effect the car is a write off. Another person has said similar. Can this work be done and at what cost? Is it worth it? The car has lots of new parts and new Michelin Sports tyres all round. The other biting question is, if l really have to get rid of this car, are there any other trusted Omegas out there at all for sale? Even an Estate?

Any help and advice will be most welcome. Thank you.

deviator:
I think the best option is to return the car to the place that did the work. You seem to hint this may not be possible? Although the fact they didn't advise you to change a £40 water pump when you are all that way down is not a good sign.

If you know the car and like it, it's worth spending the time and money to bring back up to scratch. Even a replacement engine isn't that much, assuming you can get it fitted cheap enough or can do it yourself. In fact there is a £50 engine here. This is a cheap price, these engines are normally a lot more.

If you replace the car with another Omega, you could have the same issues and be back to square one.

tigers_gonads:
If you have a receipt but don't trust the garage, phone trading standards  :y

jonathanh:
let's not worry about the water pump for now, the immediate issue is the camshaft knock

candidates for me could be slipped cambelt or failure to rebuild the head properly. 

in the hands of someone who knows what they are up to this is all fixable

Kevin Wood:
Could just be a tired hydraulic lifter.

How long has it run since the heads have been off? Because it can take a good 20 minutes' driving to quieten down the lifters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version