Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mating old hi fi to Bluetooth speakers  (Read 942 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Mating old hi fi to Bluetooth speakers
« on: 20 April 2018, 23:02:27 »

I rediscovered a box of my old hi fi from twenty years ago. Tuner, cassette deck (twin of course), cd and separate amp. Haven't tried them because my speakers are in a bad way. The Kefs cones have rotted and the other pair weren't so good in their day and have decayed too.

Question is if I resurrect the HiFi is there a way to use it with wireless speaker(s).which I flippantly call bluetooth like I know about this stuff. There seem to be plenty available but I am guessing I would need a gizmo to transmit from the amp.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
Re: Mating old hi fi to Bluetooth speakers
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2018, 23:44:32 »

Have you checked to make sure the speakers don’t also offer a wired connection?

If not then first port of call is to determine the method of wireless communication used, and then search for an appropriate adapter.

Generally speaking, it will be something that plugs in to a headphone out socket on the hifi, and pushes the output wirelessly to the speakers, so also worth making sure there’s a headphone out socket.

It can be done without one, but slightly more ‘involved’

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Mating old hi fi to Bluetooth speakers
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2018, 14:25:13 »

Is it Wireless or Bluetooth?, if its Bluetooth then, as said,  its fairly easy to get an Line Out or Headphone adapter to do the job, if its Wireless then could prove more challenging as the Wireless protocol is probably more suited to the Manufacturers Transmitter spec.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the above, just take the Speakers apart and fit a switch and some external connectors that are wired directly to the Speaker, just make sure you get on the right side of any Crossovers fitted, there is a slim chance, but unlikely, that the speakers may be internally Active Driven per Speaker or offer Sub Base output, if thats the case then you need to to apply a bit more work.

i actually did this to a set of Loewe Wireless Floor Standing TV Speakers (made by Linn), I bought them for £1 at a closing down TV/HiFi Shop as they had Sold the TV off before hand (TV had the Wireless Speaker Transmitter built in), by passed the Wireless gubbins and wired them directly to my own Loewe TV Speaker Out, sounded brilliant.   :y
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 14:31:41 by zirk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.