Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega is getting rare  (Read 4645 times)

M Kerr

• Birmingham
    • 2.5 GLS Omega, X Type
    • View Profile
Re: Omega is getting rare
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2018, 14:46:29 »

Sadly one day these will all be classics and beautiful to drive.  I just posted on here about having to get rid of mine... There's a slight nudge on the NSF wing but noting to difficult to sort. beyond that its close to mint.  I don't know of any rust anywhere on it!  MOTs for 18 years have been a piece of cake...

brassedoff

• scotland
    • omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2018, 20:45:11 »

my two have an MOT one silver one petrol blue never seen another that colour I think its Cavalier/Vectra colour bought new that colour :D :D :D :D

ChrisPee

• Kent
    • Omega Select estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2018, 18:13:40 »

On the subject of Carltons, I have owned my Diplomat since 1999 when it 89k, it now has 275k and has only been off the road since last summer due to a still un-diagnosed electrical issue. I used it every week at least two or three times up until then. It's a manual 2.0 in Spectral Blue with grey leather. I splashed out 2 grand on a repaint in 2012 as there were a few car park dents and a bit of rust on one front arch and the rear panel. Hoping to have it sorted in June. I was running my 1968 Vauxhall Victor since last summer but had to find something cheap for a runabout. I found a 2.0 8v Select estate on Ebay (one owner) and I love it, drives perfectly. It had a broken drivers mirror and the hubcaps were chewed to bits. I've replaced the door mirror and treated it to a set of very nice CD alloys from the face-lift model and spent a few hours cleaning the filthy interior. What else could you buy that reliable for £550 with MOT and no rust.  :y

On the subject of cars becoming rare (British cars), I've been doing my own research on this since the Cortina went out of production in 82/3 - it's 15 years that is the point at which you see a car and think "I haven't seen one of them for a while". The Omega is nearly there.
I remember buying a mk4 V reg Cortina from my neighbour in 1995 for £60 with MOT, by that time it was viewed as and regarded as an old banger - possibly the last of the chrome bumper cars - and therefore the Sierra Dated every previous Ford instantly. The Omega to me is a 'modern car' that is far better than most 80's cars, and far better than most 21st century, un-repairable un'reliable, ugly creations.

Chris.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2018, 18:29:19 »

On the subject of Carltons, I have owned my Diplomat since 1999 when it 89k, it now has 275k and has only been off the road since last summer due to a still un-diagnosed electrical issue. I used it every week at least two or three times up until then. It's a manual 2.0 in Spectral Blue with grey leather. I splashed out 2 grand on a repaint in 2012 as there were a few car park dents and a bit of rust on one front arch and the rear panel. Hoping to have it sorted in June.

Chris.
just re-reading the TOTALCARLTON thread about this  ;)
what are you planning ?

« Last Edit: 30 April 2018, 18:45:59 by dave the builder »

ChrisPee

• Kent
    • Omega Select estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2018, 19:44:15 »

If you mean the story of tracing the fault, I have three friends coming to mine (the day before the open day at the Vauxhall Heritage open day on June 10th) to try again. I've had 3 crankshaft sensors, cap rotor plugs leads air mass sensor idle control valve and coil replaced, it still refuses to run properly (It starts and idles though) I've taken the entire engine loom from my donor Carlton all the way from the ECU forward. If it's not that I'll be crying again. By the way, I realize I can't go on the for sale section on here yet, but if anyone needs anything for a Carlton 2.0 auto I'm happy to sell parts from it cheaply - I'd rather it help others than be scrapped. At the moment it is still very complete. The inner sills and n/s boot floor are very rotten so it would be a very involved rebuild, I've had Victors with less rust!  :-\

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2018, 20:34:41 »

If you mean the story of tracing the fault, I have three friends coming to mine (the day before the open day at the Vauxhall Heritage open day on June 10th) to try again. I've had 3 crankshaft sensors, cap rotor plugs leads air mass sensor idle control valve and coil replaced, it still refuses to run properly (It starts and idles though) I've taken the entire engine loom from my donor Carlton all the way from the ECU forward. If it's not that I'll be crying again. By the way, I realize I can't go on the for sale section on here yet, but if anyone needs anything for a Carlton 2.0 auto I'm happy to sell parts from it cheaply - I'd rather it help others than be scrapped. At the moment it is still very complete. The inner sills and n/s boot floor are very rotten so it would be a very involved rebuild, I've had Victors with less rust!  :-\
I've dragged the thread back up on totalcarlton, air flow meter (by the air filter or cts perhaps

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 June 2018, 21:54:16 »

Dragging up a dead thread - ChrisPee, if you are doing the VBOA this year, come and find me, be nice to have a chat  :y

Sadly can't offer anything constructive on the Carlton front, but it's always nice to chat to people who've run cars into v high miles and looked after them  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2018, 09:15:52 »

My CD had light rust on the front chassis rails, crossmember and spots on the left sill a couple of years ago, thankfully I was able to get the rust off and have the underneath reseated before the damage was too extreme.
She’s a keeper
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 June 2018, 20:45:14 »

My mates carlton 2litre gli started fine and idled but had no power .turned out it was low fuel pressure and/or flow due to blocked fuel filter ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 June 2018, 22:14:47 »

Failed FPR would do it or weak pump ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.