Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake pedal creep.  (Read 4329 times)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pedal creep.
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2018, 19:27:04 »

Excellent. Thats good

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2018, 19:29:35 »

That's interesting and I have certainly learned something. I would have thought that a hose is a hose - until it burts, which is what yours seemed to be about to do!
Well diagnosed; you dodged a bullet there.....  :) :y

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2018, 19:37:02 »

To be fair, the MoT should pick that up... They pump the pedal and then hold it and check for swelling and seepage under pressure  :-\

That's to say they should ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2018, 19:50:58 »

The car went through it's annual test only last month and passed with no advisories. The brake efficiency was 70% iirc and after checking the old test results the figure was never more thn 78% so there was no faults in the system but the pedal just didn't feel "right" .
The pedal never actually went to the floor it just moved further than I was comfortable with although you could feel the brakes being applied as soon as the pedal was pressed and as I said it continued to go down until the hoses reached thir limit of expansion, which wouldn't have to be much to displace the amount of fluid in that percentage of MC travel ..
It was just one of those things that annoyed you and you knew that it could / should be better .
Anyway , one to remember ,and thanks again for all input.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2018, 09:45:45 »

Juat a little post script to this thread .

As I said earlier I was never convinced that the problem was being caused by the master cylinder as the pedal was firm when engine off.
So the problem, or symptom really , was being caused by expansion somewhere in the system when the additional servo assistance was being applied when engine running . The only items that would account for this would be the soft walls of the flexible hoses .
So this morning I fitted two new flexibles to the front brakes and the creep has been eliminated and a firm assisted pedal reinstated . The pedal is what I would describe as normal now ,ie the same as the other cars in the fleet. :y
I guess after 20 years there was just enough "give " to require more movement of fluid hence the pedal creep.
I've just ordered two rear flexibles to complete the system overhaul  .
Worth considering when these cars are as old now and not expensive either .
Don

How do you stop air getting into the system/ABS pump when changing the hoses? I have to replace 2 on my sons car.

Thanks

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 June 2018, 09:48:55 »

As I said earlier I was never convinced that the problem was being caused by the master cylinder as the pedal was firm when engine off.
So the problem, or symptom really , was being caused by expansion somewhere in the system when the additional servo assistance was being applied when engine running . The only items that would account for this would be the soft walls of the flexible hoses .
So this morning I fitted two new flexibles to the front brakes and the creep has been eliminated and a firm assisted pedal reinstated . The pedal is what I would describe as normal now ,ie the same as the other cars in the fleet. :y
I guess after 20 years there was just enough "give " to require more movement of fluid hence the pedal creep.
Don

How do you stop air getting into the system/ABS pump when changing the hoses? I have to replace 2 on my sons car.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much. Normal procedure is to bleed the system properly after fitting. :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 June 2018, 09:56:38 »

Don

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much. Normal procedure is to bleed the system properly after fitting. :y

Does that include activating the ABS pump?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2018, 10:08:06 »

no. air enters abs if you let reservoir empty. Then you need a tech2.
Grumpy old man

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2018, 11:15:17 »

To think I've been putting off the job because I was told by a mechanic years ago, that it would introduce air into the ABS pump if not done right and that would be expressive to put right. So I always let them do the job if needed.  :o

Now I know different. So keep the reservoir cap on and keep as much fluid in the pipe as possible with a bung or similar. Untill ready to change the hose over for the new one. :y

Thanks

« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 11:21:03 by Andy A »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2018, 11:43:32 »

Clamp the flexi, then undo the caliper side. Then undo the car side. Quickly refit the new pipe to the car side and tighten. Then clamp the new pipe, refit the caliper, reattach it and bleed the line through  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 June 2018, 11:54:18 »

To think I've been putting off the job because I was told by a mechanic years ago, that it would introduce air into the ABS pump if not done right and that would be expressive to put right. So I always let them do the job if needed.  :o

Now I know different. So keep the reservoir cap on and keep as much fluid in the pipe as possible with a bung or similar. Untill ready to change the hose over for the new one. :y

Thanks

The reservoir cap is vented, so it's best to place a bit of polythene over the top, then screw the cap down. This will prevent fluid draining out when you have open pipe ends. Clamping the flexi pipes is also a good idea, but, if you have to replace the flexi pipe, clearly you need to seal the reservoir cap too.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 June 2018, 16:39:41 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll get that sorted for him.  :y

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2018, 09:04:20 »

Sorry , just came back to this thread .
Advice and instructions given above are correct . get your self a brake nut spanner ,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Brake-Pipe-Spanner-Flare-Nut-Wrench-10-11-mm-31967-Braking-Tools/292261146625?epid=10017007915&hash=item440c1f3001:g:o5kAAOSwkl5Xe5Vv
Takes about 10 mins a side doing it the way DG suggests and do as KW says re the resevoir cap too. I fitted new copper sealing washers on caliper end but the original ones were serviceable . Eezi bleed the brakes after .
I have new rears to fit this weekend to complete the job.
Huge difference in pedal.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2018, 23:56:20 »

As noted on the omegas I’ve experienced none have had what you would call a “hard” pedal but I will double check any effect on hoses  when pedal pressed .as they do on mot test.thanks for the advice.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.