Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OIL SMELL THROUGH HEATERS  (Read 1101 times)

SILVER 1951

• london
    • omega 2.2i cd
    • View Profile
OIL SMELL THROUGH HEATERS
« on: 06 May 2018, 15:09:09 »

Having just bought my 2001 omega 2.2CD auto in the last few weeks i am very pleased with it engine is quite and pulls well however i have started to smell oil when i have the heating/blowers on i have checked all round the engine etc and can find no leaking from anywhere oil on the dipstick is clean i would be greatful if some one can give me some pointers on where to go next.  The car passed its mot last month with no adviseries dipstick is at the correct level turn of blowers and the smell goes.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: OIL SMELL THROUGH HEATERS
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2018, 15:26:31 »

Have you checked the scuttle drain? At the very bottom there should be a large rubber grommet, blind except for a flap of rubber, whose purpose is to allow rainwater to drain away (rather than fill the heater and front footwell with water!) and to relax back when the water has drained, to keep engine smells out of the cockpit.

Ron.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2018, 15:40:53 »

I would have another look around the camshaft cover and the oil breather pipes. The symptoms you describe are almost certainly oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold due to a failing cam cover seal. Doesn't take much.

There's a charcoal activated cabin air filter in the near side scuttle above the drain grommet. That's supposed to reduce smells from the engine bay. Might be worn out or not properly positioned.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2018, 17:10:30 »

There's a charcoal activated cabin air filter in the near side scuttle above the drain grommet. That's supposed to reduce smells from the engine bay. Might be worn out or not properly positioned.

There's a rubber seal along the plastic scuttle panel that seals off the engine bay. The cabin filter draws isn't supposed to draw air from the engine bay.

SILVER 1951

• london
    • omega 2.2i cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2018, 19:15:33 »

Found the problem stand in front of the car and look down the right hand side of the engine at the rear of the engine you can see i guess the side of the gearbox front plate oil is dripping on to that not far from that is a black pipe that goes down there i am hoping this is the problem will have to get the car up on the ramp and see could be the the leak is coming from the base of this pipe i am keeping my fingers crossed its nothing more serious than that I cannot get a workshop manual for this car and as i am not familiar with this engine it will need further investigation but thanks for your comments  :y :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2018, 19:18:13 »

Haynes Omega manual covers most of it :y

2.0 16v sections will tell you enough to be useful. Several guides on here too :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.