Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NI rebate.  (Read 1502 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
NI rebate.
« on: 08 May 2018, 18:51:10 »

Hi all,i was talking to a mate today about tax rebates.As i have just had one and the wife is due one soon,he said he thinks you can claim NI back as well.Some thing to do with your pay being under the earnings thresh hold,i have done a bit of digging but can't get a definitive answer.I am going to ring the HMRC but just asking if anyone on here has done this.Dean.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: NI rebate.
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2018, 20:24:26 »

Hi all,i was talking to a mate today about tax rebates.As i have just had one and the wife is due one soon,he said he thinks you can claim NI back as well.Some thing to do with your pay being under the earnings thresh hold,i have done a bit of digging but can't get a definitive answer.I am going to ring the HMRC but just asking if anyone on here has done this.Dean.

It's difficult to reclaim it once it's been paid, but if your weekly earnings are below the lower earnings limit (£116 p/w) or Primary threshold  (£162 p/w) then you shouldn't have paid it (or had it deducted) in the first place. For 'normal employees' it's calculated weekly, not monthly or yearly.

If you earn between the LEL and the PT then you are credited with paying NI (for state pension entitlement etc) even if you didn't actually pay any NI.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2018, 20:39:41 »

Your pissing in the wind Moggy when it comes to claiming NI back  :(

A couple of years ago, I found myself on the books (paye) of 2 companies with both jobs classed as "zero hour" jobs  :(

As it worked out, I was in affect only in a position to work with one of them so tried to get the other one struck off.
I tried and tried again and again to sort out my temp tax code until I was blue in the face then had the mad idea of leaving it and collecting a nice rebate in july just in time for my holidays  :y

I did realise that I was also paying far too much NI too but I was led to believe that it would go towards some of the years I hadn't payed a full year.

When I finally got he muppets at HMRC to sort out my tax code properly, I asked to have this sorted out but was told that I had to speak to the DWP.

I did that only to be politely told that it was tough shit and I can whistle  >:( >:(

The moral of the story is ..................  YES, sometimes the tax man plays fair but the DWP are lying bastewards and unless you know every rule they have inside out, you are oppsed because if they do get the chance to rape yeh arse, they will  >:(

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2018, 23:16:35 »

It's actually quite difficult to overpay NI. It's nothing to do with HMRC or Tax codes, and is deducted by your employer (payroll) based on the amount they pay you per week. Note - per week, not per month or per year.

You could work one day a week for 7 different employers, and each could pay you £162 p/w, so your total take home would be £1134 per week, or almost £59K p/a. But you would pay zero NI, because each employer would be paying you less than the Primary threshold. NI is per job per week. Tax is all jobs per year, so you would pay 20% and 40% income tax on the 59K income.

Someone else might work (say) 1 week on - 3 weeks off. Suppose they were paid £648 for week one and nothing in weeks 2 3 and 4. The employer would have to deduct NI from the week 1 payment even though the zero earnings in weeks 2-4 meant that the average weekly income was less than the primary threshold. NI doesn't deal with averages - it's strictly per week.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2018, 05:50:45 »

Thank you, Malcolm, these things are good to know  :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2018, 08:01:01 »

Don't know anything about NI rebates all I know is I do my tax return and HMRC tells me how much NI I have to pay-both class 2 and class 4 contributions.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2018, 08:23:19 »

It's actually quite difficult to overpay NI. It's nothing to do with HMRC or Tax codes, and is deducted by your employer (payroll) based on the amount they pay you per week. Note - per week, not per month or per year.

You could work one day a week for 7 different employers, and each could pay you £162 p/w, so your total take home would be £1134 per week, or almost £59K p/a. But you would pay zero NI, because each employer would be paying you less than the Primary threshold. NI is per job per week. Tax is all jobs per year, so you would pay 20% and 40% income tax on the 59K income.

Someone else might work (say) 1 week on - 3 weeks off. Suppose they were paid £648 for week one and nothing in weeks 2 3 and 4. The employer would have to deduct NI from the week 1 payment even though the zero earnings in weeks 2-4 meant that the average weekly income was less than the primary threshold. NI doesn't deal with averages - it's strictly per week.

Not got the numbers to hand but it came to a few hundred quid  :(
It would seem that some tinker in authority has been telling porkies to me then sitting back and thinking, PROVE IT  >:( >:(

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2018, 09:40:32 »

Don't know anything about NI rebates all I know is I do my tax return and HMRC tells me how much NI I have to pay-both class 2 and class 4 contributions.

Class 2 and 4 are for Self Employed. Moggy and tiger_gonads are talking about PAYE so are paying Class 1 which is deducted at source by their employer.

Not got the numbers to hand but it came to a few hundred quid  :(
It would seem that some tinker in authority has been telling porkies to me then sitting back and thinking, PROVE IT  >:( >:(

Well, without the numbers, none of us can explain it to you or check the figures. However, 99.9% of the time people query Class 1 NI contributions it turns out that the amounts paid are correct, so the "tinker in authority" is usually right. On the other hand, tax is almost always wrong which is why it's relatively easy to sort out after the event.

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2018, 10:52:51 »

On the other hand, tax is almost always wrong which is why it's relatively easy to sort out after the event.

Ain't that the truth.

Never seems to work out in my favour, though ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.