Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest con....bbc news  (Read 4499 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Latest con....bbc news
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2018, 08:34:52 »

They don't. They think of a number and double it.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2018, 08:53:20 »

Interesting, what makes you say that about the air gap? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just not sure on why it’s needed.  :-\

To be fair, a header tank (positioned 1/3 of the way up the main tank or thereabouts) plus a one-way valve is all that’s needed, so no biggy.

I believe the WRAS regs require an air gap between the supply network and any non-potable water system to prevent any possibility of back-flow into the public supply network.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2018, 23:28:28 »

Interesting, what makes you say that about the air gap? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just not sure on why it’s needed.  :-\

To be fair, a header tank (positioned 1/3 of the way up the main tank or thereabouts) plus a one-way valve is all that’s needed, so no biggy.

I believe the WRAS regs require an air gap between the supply network and any non-potable water system to prevent any possibility of back-flow into the public supply network.

Interesting Kevin.

The 'fill' tap for the C/H system in my 9yr old property has two shut-off valves, but that doesn't offer an 'air-gap'.  I'm guessing the requirement for two of them is to reduce the risk of non-potable water returning to the 'clean' water system?

What about toilet cisters, hot water tanks etc?  Is all of this classed as potable water?  I know i've filled the kettle from a toilet cistern after a water outage, but it's not something I would 'want' to drink un-boiled (even though it would probably be perfectly safe).  Much less so the water from the closed C/H system.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2018, 07:30:53 »

Thanks Kevin, excellent point!!

BM:
I think in all standard situations where a ball cock type filler is used you do have an air gap as the water level should never reach the feed tap on the ball cock. What’s different in my suggested application is that the rain water would fully submerge the ball cock unit. So no air gap. In theory the tap shouldn’t open until there is an air gap in place. But whether this would satisfy WRAS I don’t know.  :-\.

As for central heating, all of the ones I’ve seen either have a ball cock and header tank or are the pressurised type. These have a fill loop that does link the CH to the mains, but you are instructed to remove the filler loop once you’re done filling it.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2018, 07:40:06 by jimmy944 »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2018, 10:47:17 »

As for central heating, all of the ones I’ve seen either have a ball cock and header tank or are the pressurised type. These have a fill loop that does link the CH to the mains, but you are instructed to remove the filler loop once you’re done filling it.

Nobody does that though.  :-X

And it's not an issue anyway, as the mains pressure is much higher that the the 1 Bar or so in a central heating system.  ;)  Until a digger breaks the main outside your house!  :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2018, 10:59:31 »

Shhhh !   :-X

the water police may read this  ;)

most filling loops consist of a double check valve and 2 isolation valves ,

in reality , you will spend far more on infrastructure (pumps,tanks etc ) than you will ever save on water bills  ::)

I keep koi carp ,which insist on good water quality ,
pumps,filters and the electricity to run them cost ££££
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.