Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Plumbing Timebomb  (Read 3789 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Plumbing Timebomb
« on: 26 May 2018, 11:52:42 »

Talking of plumbing.....  :)

Plastic pushfit plumbing is becoming more and more common and for good reason.  It's quick and easy to fit, the pipes can be easily bent around corners, it can be added to existing copper systems, and you don't need any arcane skills worthy of a alchemist to put it together.  :y

As a relatively new technology however I wonder how long these systems will remain watertight, as most rely on rubber O rings to make the seal and as current and ex Omega owners we all know how O rings fail.  ::)  Most manufacturers say their products are guaranteed for 20 years. Good luck with that in 19 years if you have a catastrophic leak then, especially if you DIY'ed!  :-X  :-\

Given the breadth and depth of OOF knowledge, I'm wondering what the general opinion of plastic plumbing is?  ??? 

I know one thing.  If I buy a house in the future, I'll want to know if it has plastic plumbing and if so when it was fitted.  As when you think about it 20 years is a relatively short time in the life of a house and there are plenty of places around the country still using plumbing that would be getting on for a century!  ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbing Timebomb
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2018, 11:55:47 »

Istr Fuse 19 mentioning recently its good for around 10 years, then the O rings start to leak.
I had a new shower plumbed in last month and they used plastic, so I can expect to need a new kitchen ceiling in 10 years time.
I may well be dead by then, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2018, 12:00:40 »

Istr Fuse 19 mentioning recently its good for around 10 years, then the O rings start to leak.
I had a new shower plumbed in last month and they used plastic, so I can expect to need a new kitchen ceiling in 10 years time.
I may well be dead by then, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  ;D

Almost certainly I would think.

You and STMO will probably drop off the perch on the same day. You'll meet him at the gates of.... ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2018, 12:13:16 »

Funnily enough I am just boxing in some push fit joints in a new bathroom.  All the rest in the house are accessible.

I have been using them here for 14 years now without a problem. I do accept that they may well leak in time at the o joints but as said I will be dead by then or in a care home.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2018, 12:21:05 »

Yep.....I used them about 14 years ago also. No leaks. :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2018, 12:23:28 »

I wasn't keen when they first came out ,but branded polly ,fitted correctly with stiffeners ,clips ,etc seem to be good so far.
polly is good on long domestic  hot water runs   ,which copper would zap all the warmth from in the past
the only leaks / o ring fails I've seen so far have been down to poor fitting (rough pipe ends, no insert into compression fittings, or pipes pulled /not supported .
you may miss out on drinking so much lead ,copper sulfate etc though  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2018, 12:24:11 »

Funnily enough I am just boxing in some push fit joints in a new bathroom.  All the rest in the house are accessible.

I have been using them here for 14 years now without a problem. I do accept that they may well leak in time at the o joints but as said I will be dead by then or in a care home, sat by the sunny window, with a bit of potato stuck to my chin.

Sounds a bit bleak.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2018, 12:45:46 »

;D ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2018, 12:58:11 »

We get problems at work with them due to fluctuating water pressure , the pressure drops and "relaxes" the joints , the pressure goes back to normal and bingo - a leak

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2018, 13:05:44 »

An even bigger problem is electrical safety if you start mixing plastic and copper, i only use copper and copper joints on my old system but you could kill someone if you start mixing it up.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2018, 13:14:16 »

An even bigger problem is electrical safety if you start mixing plastic and copper, i only use copper and copper joints on my old system but you could kill someone if you start mixing it up.
not if you have a dual RCD 17th ed consumer unit and comply with current regs
(which we all do )  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2018, 13:23:29 »

Not!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2018, 13:34:25 »

As I have said before, I have never nor would never use them especially after being given advise not to do so from two professional plumbers.

I must say also I love plumbing with copper and forming the joints, so a Lego type system that can "pop" at anytime due to pressure fluctuations and age does not impress me.  The effects on  electrical earthing is another factor that puts me off.

Why give yourself a chance of collapsing ceilings and damaged walls when using push-fits when you could do everything very securely with standard copper fittings? ???

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2018, 13:39:50 »

Not!  ;D

SHOCKING  :o reporting you to the nic eic and electric police   ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2018, 13:43:32 »

Ihave a friend who used to be a kitchen fitter before he retired. He sings the praises of plastic plumbing because they get the job finished quickly and then home early! They last the guarantee period out (kitchen, not plumbing) so he is safe for a few months..... 8)

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.