Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Air Con question  (Read 4159 times)

Omega Nige

• Oxfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
Another Air Con question
« on: 29 May 2018, 10:37:25 »

I'm looking at topping up the air con but my compressor clutch is not engaging. Before I delve into it will low gas pressure disable the compressor so I will need to top up the gas to get it to run?

Thanks  :)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Re: Another Air Con question
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2018, 10:50:44 »

I'm looking at topping up the air con but my compressor clutch is not engaging. Before I delve into it will low gas pressure disable the compressor so I will need to top up the gas to get it to run?

Had a similar situation with a previous omega of mine . A/C was not working & compressor was not engaging  . . .took it to my usual garage/MOT man. Gas pressure was zero.  He done a full vac & refill etc. & A/C then worked fine . BUT only lasted for a few weeks before it started to not get fully cold & eventually packed up again , so obviously a leak . A/C systems deteriorate when faulty & not used especially the seals.  When recharging they normally put in a dye that can be seen with a special light to locate leaks .  HTH 
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2018, 10:53:41 »

Yes.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2018, 12:47:52 »

One interesting thing to know before you top the system up is if the system is holding any pressure at all.

When I got mine the gas level had been allowed to drop, over time, to just below the point of letting the compressor kick in. I topped mine up and its been fine ever since.

If you go to Halfords then can check using a gauge what pressure is in the system. I wouldn't normally recommend them but its not hard to unscrew the cover and locate a gauge on a quick release port. It's free and at least it will give you a little more information.

Thanks

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2018, 12:48:45 »

Yes.  :y

This^^^^^
Also a little squirt of WD or similar into the pulley also helps.
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2018, 12:52:52 »

One interesting thing to know before you top the system up is if the system is holding any pressure at all.

When I got mine the gas level had been allowed to drop, over time, to just below the point of letting the compressor kick in. I topped mine up and its been fine ever since.

If you go to Halfords then can check using a gauge what pressure is in the system. I wouldn't normally recommend them but its not hard to unscrew the cover and locate a gauge on a quick release port. It's free and at least it will give you a little more information.

Thanks

Get it put onto a proper dalek, or use a set of hp/LP/fill gauges and vacuum pump. Halfords cans are a total waste of £40.  Considering some places charge £45 for a full hook-up on a dalek. Which will drain the system, and re-vacum it, a decent place will even pressure test with nitrogen.
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2018, 13:37:15 »

I think any decent AC place will pressure test the system before filling it up?
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2018, 14:05:56 »

Some places, just let the dalek do it, but that's a vacuum test, not a pressure test, if you ask, they say " machine does that sir" 
System needs to be purged, then, filled with nitrogen under pressure, to check for leaks, if no leaks then pulled down and gassed.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2018, 14:15:58 »

I'd hope so, or they are breaking the law. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2018, 14:21:56 »

I'd hope so, or they are breaking the law. ;)

Most of the large chains rely on the dalek, it emptys first, then induces a vacuum, which is held for time, as long as it holds, it will refill with gas and small amount of pag-oil and dye.. A pressure test is more revealing for small leaks.
Hoof'land storeman.

Omega Nige

• Oxfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2018, 14:48:36 »

I have checked and I have enough gas in the system but the compressor isn't engaging. Checked and cleaned the connector plug and socket. How can I check that the signal is being sent to energise it?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2018, 14:54:14 »

I have checked and I have enough gas in the system but the compressor isn't engaging. Checked and cleaned the connector plug and socket. How can I check that the signal is being sent to energise it?

Check eco is off, and check fuses. also turn temp to Lo..
Hoof'land storeman.

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2018, 17:25:29 »

Thanks

Get it put onto a proper dalek, or use a set of hp/LP/fill gauges and vacuum pump. Halfords cans are a total waste of £40.  Considering some places charge £45 for a full hook-up on a dalek. Which will drain the system, and re-vacum it, a decent place will even pressure test with nitrogen.

Note I said let them check the system pressure. Not fill it.

Talk about a massive over reaction to a very simple and free check. As most places that refill your aircon will charge you something even if the system can't be recharged.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2018, 17:58:54 »

The only viable way to check how much is in there is to suck it all out, and see what you have.

If you want to know if you have enough in there to activate the pressure switches, a multimeter if a free test, and more conclusive than a spotty yoof with a half-arsed gauge
Grumpy old man

Omega Nige

• Oxfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2018, 20:58:21 »

Switched off eco, set to low, fans on full, fuse ok. Still not switching in the compressor  :(. Any ideas?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.