Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Situation with neighbour. Help please  (Read 3694 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Situation with neighbour. Help please
« on: 01 June 2018, 14:15:09 »

Hi guys. Hope you're all well.

Looking for a bit of advice if possible.

Ok, so mum and dad have a fence at the bottom of their garden. One of the posts was rotting so dad arranged to have it replaced as the fence on this side is their responsibility. Fair enough.

The chap turned up, put his new post on the floor and proceeded to dig the hole. The back way neighbours watched him dig the hole. Only after this did they complain that they didn't like the fence post  ???

So dad sent the fence man away. The back way neighbour then stormed round going mental that they want the situ sorting??? A bit ironic as she was the one who turned the bloke who came to fix it away   ;D I'm very unhappy about the way she spoke to them. Mum and dad are getting on and they really don't need the hassle.

Anyways the nightmare neighbours are now on holiday and I'm waiting for them to get back so I can go round and have some strong words!!!

Anyway I like to get my facts right...

Am I right in thinking that as my dad is responsible for the fence he is the one to choose what type of fence panel and / or fence post is chosen?

I haven't seen it and I hope I'm not being thick when I say this but a fence post is a bloody fence post lol

Anyways I shall be telling them that we either fit the bloody fence post or she can get a solicitor to correspond with mum and dad and that I'm now dealing with it and if they contact my mum and dad I'm going to get the police on them for harassment!

Rant over.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly received. Cheers boys  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Situation with neighbour. Help please
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2018, 14:26:45 »

Do a search here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

See if you can find a title plan that lists/marks the boundary to your parents place, is there another fence that the other side have?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2018, 14:36:40 »

Do a search here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

See if you can find a title plan that lists/marks the boundary to your parents place, is there another fence that the other side have?

Thanks Tunnie.

I will take a look. However their "concern" is with the aesthetics of the post itself. As said ma n pa are happy to fit it and were shocked when they stormed round saying they weren't happy with the post.

Honestly mate life is too short for this shit  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2018, 14:38:35 »

I'm ready to be proved wrong, but my understanding is that there's no legal requirement to have a fence at all. Boundary marking, if really needed, can be achieved by setting small posts (think broomhandles) at the boundary.

Ron.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2018, 14:42:10 »

You don't need a fence, but if you do, it needs to be on your land. The neighbour only has a right to complain if it moves or is suddenly taller and blocks light or the view.

Get the fence post installed and write a choice comment on the side facing them, or paint it pink and yellow stripes. If they paint it, it's criminal damage.

EDIT Don't go around there, write a letter with proof of delivery and make sure your folks have legal cover on the home insurance. ;)

The law won't want to get involved and everything will push you down the 'sort it like adults' route.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2018, 14:44:32 »

Thanks guys. My understanding is the fence is on their land  :y

I'll check if there was any extra height issues with the fence post. But I don't think so...just a standard post lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2018, 14:49:31 »

Ye olde boundary issue problem  again  :D

Best way to sort this is not to get angry , OR threaten solicitors etc

many boundarys are not marked on deeds , after so long, even if a boundary was marked ,where or what datum  do you measure from to confirm,

if it is your family's fence ,you can put a post  of your choice in ,provided it is safe (so no barb wire,electric fences etc )

if you pop and see the fairies at the bottom of the garden and ask politely what issue they have with the post you did intend to fit , keep calm ,no threats or swearing , I'm sure by now they will have thought about how silly they have been ,unless they are total knobs

solicitors will just line their pockets with your cash and not resolve anything / probably make things worse

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2018, 14:55:58 »

Thanks Dave.

Is there any legislation online (maybe there will be in Tunnies link when I look) that specifically says that they can choose what fence / post they want?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2018, 15:07:03 »

Thanks Dave.

Is there any legislation online (maybe there will be in Tunnies link when I look) that specifically says that they can choose what fence / post they want?
not if it's your fence ,on your land (unless you increased the height ,blocking light etc or it poses a danger to them or other issue)
which is why it is good to have a polite conversation with them  ;)
if they don't like the look of it ,they can go to the expense of erecting their own fence ,on their own land  :y

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2018, 17:32:46 »

Always Chose the ugliest Concrete Post and soil boards and the cheapest panels to slot in.  That way you get 15 years before the panels fall out and it takes 5 mins to replace them. That should be the law.

We had a boundary dispute over a diagonal boundary which lasted all of 5 seconds, after I got out a copy of my deeds which showed the boundary with a red felt tip was about 2 foot wide, and pointed out that if we drew a line through the centre of the felt tip, I did indeed have 2 square foot of their land, but they had 3 square foot of mine, and I'd be chopping my new tree down once it was inside my new fence. The 2 square foot was in fact a 12 foot by 8 inch triangle behind their garage. And my 3 square foot was a 2 foot by 6 foot triangle in useable space behind my garage, which would fit a compost heap in nicely.

Not heard a peep about it in 10 years.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2018, 19:16:37 »

This is perhaps too late, but I have learned the hard way from past experience with let properties :-[, that if any work is required on a boundary fence/wall, regardless of ownership, a discussion with neighbours before work commences can avoid a lot of bother, which tends to escalate if not nipped in the bud.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2018, 00:06:03 »

People will take liberties if they are not aware of boundaries. Had a problem with a young neighbour years ago, who decided he was going to plant shrubs down the side of my drive. I said 'Oh no you are not'. 'Its my lawn', he said. This is why the problem arose...because we are open plan frontages, and although it looks like his lawn, my boundary ran in a straight line from the corner of his house to the pavement. This meant a 3 foot strip of lawn belonged to me. Luckily I had the drawings to prove my freehold.
The only reason he wanted to plant stuff was because when I worked on the side of the car, I used to lay a wheel on the grass and sit on it. So I made sure I kept those papers here, and indeed many years later, my new neighbour said he was going to remove the adjoining rear fence and put a new one up, I showed him my paperwork, and said you can put a fence up, but you leave mine as it is, and put yours on your property. I explained that any fence erected on the original boundary, no matter who by, was my responsibility to repair if it fell down. They did erect a 6' fence on their property, and a few years later, it fell down. Again, the next new neighbours asked me if I was going to repair or replace it, as it was leaning into their lawn, and that fence was my responsibility. I again showed the paperwork, and said if he looked over the fence, he would see the original 3' ranch fence on my property. Problems all solved without any fuss or ill feeling (except for the first young snotty upstart who had his nose put out of joint)
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2018, 02:13:47 »

Never forget that humans like all primates are aggressive territorial animals. From their prospective you have (rightly but in their view wrongly) intruded / encroached without their permission on their territorially boundary and are making an alarming change to their territory.

I've had similar problems with a newish neighbour, where they made complaints to the council where by boundary shrubs are cut back to about 7' rather than the regulation 6' where she is trying to assert control. When I get a regular note through the door with a new complaint, I just go round there and talk to her over possible action with agreeing platitudes and mostly do very little, but it keeps her happy. :) :) :)

Good relationships are all about good communication and I would suggest going rounding and talking to your neighbours 'cap in hand' to defuse the situation, it costs nothing & will make a world of difference. As soon as you involve them in helping you make fencing choices they will IME 'buy in' and it will be 'their fence' and the problem will be solved. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2018, 08:54:21 »

I'm guessing that the neighbours are old, and couldn't find anything else to moan about on that day.

Whilst they are away is the ideal opportunity to replace the post.
Grumpy old man

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2018, 13:16:07 »

I'm guessing a gallon of petrol through their letter box is inappropriate ?  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.