Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little light on battery.  (Read 1724 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Little light on battery.
« on: 02 August 2018, 18:33:19 »

Hi all,is the little eye light on the battery accurate(ie green ok,black recharge,white change)The reason i ask is the car has been sitting for a while,and the indicator was white(replace). The voltage was 12.20 but the car started and i went to halfords and had it checked,they said its a good battery.I charged a spare battery(light was black)after a full charge got 12.66 but it was still black,i now have the original battery off the car and i am charging it.So my question is should the light go green again when fully charged,also the voltage on idle is 13.14 coming from the alternator that's not good is it. :-\ :-[ :( .Dean.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Little light on battery.
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2018, 18:47:52 »

There only crude indicators, sometimes little balls that roll over and get stuck.

So if the Voltage is correct, which it sounds like it is and the battery starts as it should just ignore the indicator on it.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2018, 19:03:41 »

It's a toy, for amusement only! At best, it checks the SG of the electrolyte in just on e cell of the battery - and sometimes lies.  :-X

Ron.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2018, 20:10:51 »

Thanks for that,i will just ignore it then.Incidentally the spare battery i charged last night was 12.66 its now 12.42,is it still ok.I seam to be having more problems with this car lately,what with the coolant leak and now battery.When i got back from sereks i knew i needed new plug leads,but i did not have the time to let him do them.I did not bank on the coolant leak,and as i am now unemployed(again)funds are tight.I was hoping for 12 months problem free(but i do own an omega) ;D.BTW is 13.14 from the alt good enough, i am also going to put some dye in the header tank.Hopefully its a hose or pipe but as others have said may be hard to spot.Thanks for the reply's always appreciated :y.Dean.   

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2018, 20:21:31 »

Our leisure battery was showing white charged it charger indicated full charge, battery still showing white , put it on tray in garage three days later turned green indicating full charge ! Not tried it in caravan yet but obviously not a reliable source.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2018, 03:19:58 »

Hi all,just a quick update on this.I took the original battery off the car(not the spare)and started to charge it at 6pm,the voltage was 11.98.At 2am the battery charger light went from red to green,i measured the voltage its 13.22.So i take it that's good :-\ Dean.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2018, 05:55:30 »

if its on charge the voltage should be around 15.2 volts (home charger 8 to 12 amp) and then leave the battery off charge for half an hour. then check should be 12.8 or 12.6. can be lower more lower its not hoolding its charge. on alternator charge should be around 14.2 to 14.5 volts 70 to 120 amps depending on alternator output. anything lower than 12.8 volts on alternator charge there is somthing wrong with battery or altinator or wiring or earth. so they would need to be checked. there can be a drop of voltage on the wiring of 0.2 to 0.5 volts anymore than this then the wiring is damaged. mine the wiring was damaged so put new earth wire in and a new alternator feed to the battery. 13.8 volts was the most before and it was all over the place on voltage. after adding the wirse its 14.5 volts and steady no waving about. dont remove old wiring just add to the original and add a fuse link with fuse from 70 amp depending on alternator out put. new earth added to the alternator bolt rear of the case. not the front as this will cause resistance. 

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2018, 18:30:25 »

if its on charge the voltage should be around 15.2 volts (home charger 8 to 12 amp) and then leave the battery off charge for half an hour. then check should be 12.8 or 12.6. can be lower more lower its not hoolding its charge. on alternator charge should be around 14.2 to 14.5 volts 70 to 120 amps depending on alternator output. anything lower than 12.8 volts on alternator charge there is somthing wrong with battery or altinator or wiring or earth. so they would need to be checked. there can be a drop of voltage on the wiring of 0.2 to 0.5 volts anymore than this then the wiring is damaged. mine the wiring was damaged so put new earth wire in and a new alternator feed to the battery. 13.8 volts was the most before and it was all over the place on voltage. after adding the wirse its 14.5 volts and steady no waving about. dont remove old wiring just add to the original and add a fuse link with fuse from 70 amp depending on alternator out put. new earth added to the alternator bolt rear of the case. not the front as this will cause resistance.
Hi Chazza12,thanks for that.But the wiring bit is way beyond my capability's,would not know where to start. :-[ Dean.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2018, 19:42:51 »

There is videos on YouTube they call it the 3 wire upgrade. You can do it that way or just the 2 way but 3 way is better. As covers better earthing. Bought the wires and copper ends all four under £15 and soldered the ends on and tie rapped them to wiring loom. My altanator had 2 out puts so could use that on out put to battery. Think it all took about an hour. Not really a hard job to do. If you watch a video it's quite easy to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.