Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Overheating and Hesitance issue! Need Help!  (Read 3793 times)

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
Omega Overheating and Hesitance issue! Need Help!
« on: 31 August 2018, 18:47:44 »

Hello Omega owners People!  :) , i hope you are all doing fine!

My Car Model is Opel Omega 2003 , 2.2 Petrol , Automatic Transmission

i need your help in this issue , because its really driving me nuts! , i spent so much time with my mechanic changing and trying to figure things out and still didn't, so my issue is as follows

it started when summer has started , i used to drive the car on some long uphill and one day i noticed the car to hesitate alot on the curve , and the engine overheated alot and it was moving sooo slow , while i can hear the transmission go to lower gear , in fact i did try to do it my self you can hear high RPM from the engine but the car was moving seriously like a Turtle barely any power to it , and it overheated , i started by changing my radiator and water pump and thermostat to see if this fix the issue , i drive it again it ran okay , but again after some time i go in the same exact uphill , and the issue happened again the same way it did before over heat + hesitant so much , it blew my head gasket , i went to my mechanic and he replaced and resurfaced the cylinder head and did what is needed for it , after doing all that , he did some trick to make my fans run on high all the time , i noticed that the problem went away while the car is cool it runs perfectly good , and on that uphill it went great , after couple weeks it happened again , so my mechanic decided to change the transmission for me and he did , now still dealing with the same issue and i have honestly no clue what is going on, i will list the things he tried and changed , any ideas would be really great

he changed the following:

- Mass air flow sensor
- Thermostat
- Radiator
- Radiator Cap
- Water pump
- Timing Belt and Pulley
- Transmission
- Resurfaced and rebuilt Cylinder Walls and Cylinder Head
- Changed the Fuel injection Rail
- Cleaned the Throttle Body system
- Spark Plugs changed 2 times

i am now so confused on what the issue could be , anyone had similar issue can help about it , i would really appreciate it , i already spent alot of money on this and nothing yet , keep in mind that in my place where i live things are really expensive

Thanks alot!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Overheating and Hesitance issue! Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2018, 11:05:12 »

It needs proper diags, not random part changing, which is what appears to have happened.

Does the EML come on?
What is the LTFT?
What is the MAF reading?
Does it feel like its misfiring?
Remove and photograph the coil pack, and post a picture here
Are the plug wells full of oil?
Grumpy old man

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2018, 12:35:56 »

My knowledge of 4 pots is very limited , and totally agree with TB's reply , but noticed there is no Cam Sensor on

the list of parts replaced. . . . isn't the cam sensor the most troublesome issue on the 4 cylinder models ?

Not sure it has been related to this sort of issue though  :-\ :-\ :-\

British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2018, 13:06:16 »

I agree with TB
Live data needed
no mention of the ecu coolant temp sensor being checked (a very common fault)
then there is the rad fan speed resistors
reading the fault coded in ecu AND coolant control module would be a good idea and live data to see what is going on
I'd hazard a guess at CTS ,but guessing and replacing stuff is a slippery slide  :P
"he did some trick to make my fans run on high all the time"
 disconnecting the coolant temp sensor (2 wire) puts the fans on high speed as a safety measure  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2018, 18:26:54 »

My knowledge of 4 pots is very limited , and totally agree with TB's reply , but noticed there is no Cam Sensor on

the list of parts replaced. . . . isn't the cam sensor the most troublesome issue on the 4 cylinder models ?

Not sure it has been related to this sort of issue though  :-\ :-\ :-\
No mention of gearbox codes and wouldn't cause the overheating issues ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2018, 21:59:38 »

It needs proper diags, not random part changing, which is what appears to have happened.

Does the EML come on?
What is the LTFT?
What is the MAF reading?
Does it feel like its misfiring?
Remove and photograph the coil pack, and post a picture here
Are the plug wells full of oil?

Thanks for your reply , i totally agree with you , but since i had no trouble codes to mention and actually i am not having any trouble codes made me go crazy about that , answering you questions the EML light didnt come on at all , the LTFT i have no readings about it , MAF reading as far as my mechanic said wasn't what it needed to be so he replaced it with one for free , just to check it out and turned to be okay i am sorry i dont have the numbers , and it didn't misfire at all engine seems to be working pretty well , the plug wells are not full of oil i already did a gasket replacement before long time ago and they are dry!

UPDATE i need to do now on my Case , today i went back and my mechanic suspected i could have an Exhaust issue , some part of my exhaust not sure what its called , it looks like a small muffler was broke inside and have metal rings with super tiny holes , that obviously didn't allow the Exhaust Gases to escape normally and made the engine stall and choke it with the exhaust gases which caused the extra overheating issue and lack of power , as soon as i took off that part (which i leave a photo for in my original post) , the Car drove like a dream instantly , i couldnt believe that to be honest! , it accelerated just perfectly fine without any hesitation and the temperature seems okay

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2018, 22:14:35 »

Here is an Update on my Case , i couldn't edit my main topic and add the update to it

I Went back to the mechanic and he suspected it could be an exhaust issue , i went to an exhaust shop and he removed a part that looks like a muffler here is a photo for it:

after removing this part , i noticed an instant power gain , the car drove after it like a DREAM! , i couldn't believe what just happened! , it accelerated perfectly normal, i am now trying to understand , if that was for sure causing all the trouble i had before i replace anything , the engine overheating and poor acceleration and power

maybe this is a good idea to be in common issues sub-forum , it may help someone who had same exact issue as mine and never found a solution after changing all the things that i just changed , so if u see it is helpful please move it to the place where it needs to be so it helps someone else who could have a similar issue

Regards
« Last Edit: 01 September 2018, 22:17:01 by abokayed »

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2018, 00:01:26 »

When was the fuel filter last changed. As that might be one problem. Over heating check the thermos resister under the battery tray. They can work standing and then driving they fail. Check the fan works unplug the thermal switch on the radiator and on the wiring plug connect the pins and see if the fan comes on in both speeds. As for engine slowing down it could be the manifold leaking they do tend to get a crack between position 2 and 3. Could also be the tank vapure line damaged or has a slight leak. Could also be a vacuum line leak. Or a vacuumed difrm leaking on the egr or other boxes on the lines. Would need a vcume line tester pun and connect to a vaccine line and run engine to see if it’s fluctuating.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2018, 00:20:54 »

When was the fuel filter last changed. As that might be one problem. Over heating check the thermos resister under the battery tray. They can work standing and then driving they fail. Check the fan works unplug the thermal switch on the radiator and on the wiring plug connect the pins and see if the fan comes on in both speeds. As for engine slowing down it could be the manifold leaking they do tend to get a crack between position 2 and 3. Could also be the tank vapure line damaged or has a slight leak. Could also be a vacuum line leak. Or a vacuumed difrm leaking on the egr or other boxes on the lines. Would need a vcume line tester pun and connect to a vaccine line and run engine to see if it’s fluctuating.
Blocked cat apparently  ;)
Here is an Update on my Case , i couldn't edit my main topic and add the update to it

I Went back to the mechanic and he suspected it could be an exhaust issue , i went to an exhaust shop and he removed a part that looks like a muffler here is a photo for it:

after removing this part , i noticed an instant power gain , the car drove after it like a DREAM! , i couldn't believe what just happened! , it accelerated perfectly normal, i am now trying to understand , if that was for sure causing all the trouble i had before i replace anything , the engine overheating and poor acceleration and power

maybe this is a good idea to be in common issues sub-forum , it may help someone who had same exact issue as mine and never found a solution after changing all the things that i just changed , so if u see it is helpful please move it to the place where it needs to be so it helps someone else who could have a similar issue

Regards
Hopefully that's the end of the problem ;)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2018, 01:32:55 »

have to say if thats the cat its very small. mines about a foot long and nearly as wide. must be a baffle or something.  ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2018, 03:01:33 »

have to say if thats the cat its very small. mines about a foot long and nearly as wide. must be a baffle or something.  ???
Op is in Syria... ::)

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2018, 07:51:42 »

The 2.2 has a pre cat which that one is near the exhaust manifold and a main cat further down

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2018, 14:34:19 »

First of all thanks for ur information above for the engine hesitation issue , ill note that for future reference  :) , and yes it turned out ot be this thing which im not sure what its called a muffler or some bad low quality type of it, caused all the exhaust gasses to get stuck in the system and kill my power from engine and could possibly caused the engine extra overheating issue

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2018, 14:36:46 »

Blocked cat apparently  ;)

maybe this is a good idea to be in common issues sub-forum , it may help someone who had same exact issue as mine and never found a solution after changing all the things that i just changed , so if u see it is helpful please move it to the place where it needs to be so it helps someone else who  could have a similar issue

Regards
Hopefully that's the end of the problem ;)

I hope that too , seems to be because as soon as i removed that muffler thing oi notice an instant change in the car performance , without doing anything else , so i can say yes , it needs further driving and testing but for now seems working perfectly good

Thanks alot :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2018, 16:09:56 »

Crap fuel probably killed it and once blocked, it quickly builds back pressure leading to all  the other issues...

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 September 2018, 19:17:35 »

How did the mechanic fix it? Looks like he cut the pre-cat out with an acetylene torch. But did he weld in a new pre-cat or just weld in a piece of pipe to bridge the gap? Or did he install a new down-pipe and cat from the manifold?

AIUI the pre-cat is part of the Euro 4 emissions compliance. Most Omegas are Euro 3, however 2.2 16V MY2003s are Euro 4. Not entirely sure how it works but the intent is to light-up the main cat(s) faster. Presumably by the pre-cat heating up quickly (due to proximity to the exhaust manifold) and burning off excess hydrocarbons in the rich(er) cold start mixture, such that the downstream exhaust gas is hotter.

Certainly my 2003 2.2 heats up significantly quicker than the 2.5 V6 with (working) secondary air injection into the exhaust manifolds.

For the purposes of any official testing my guess is that it won't matter if the pre-cat is missing so long as the engine and exhaust is warmed up before the test. Not sure about the UK however?

Anyway glad to hear it's working.

« Last Edit: 02 September 2018, 19:21:45 by Enceladus »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2018, 17:34:33 »

If the cat failed on a 2.2, I suspect that is a symptom, not the cause.

Get the live data readings.

And personally, I think your mechanic is inept, sorry.
Grumpy old man

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2018, 11:56:25 »

Crap fuel probably killed it and once blocked, it quickly builds back pressure leading to all  the other issues...

Yes That could be a good reason , i also cleaned the fuel injectors Yesterday to make sure the system is clean and put some fuel cleaner inside my tank

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2018, 12:04:29 »

How did the mechanic fix it? Looks like he cut the pre-cat out with an acetylene torch. But did he weld in a new pre-cat or just weld in a piece of pipe to bridge the gap? Or did he install a new down-pipe and cat from the manifold?

AIUI the pre-cat is part of the Euro 4 emissions compliance. Most Omegas are Euro 3, however 2.2 16V MY2003s are Euro 4. Not entirely sure how it works but the intent is to light-up the main cat(s) faster. Presumably by the pre-cat heating up quickly (due to proximity to the exhaust manifold) and burning off excess hydrocarbons in the rich(er) cold start mixture, such that the downstream exhaust gas is hotter.

Certainly my 2003 2.2 heats up significantly quicker than the 2.5 V6 with (working) secondary air injection into the exhaust manifolds.

For the purposes of any official testing my guess is that it won't matter if the pre-cat is missing so long as the engine and exhaust is warmed up before the test. Not sure about the UK however?

Anyway glad to hear it's working.

Thank you for the valuable information  :) , what he did is cut that cat and replace it with a straight pipe , im not sure its really a Catalytic Converter , because it doesnt seem to have any kind of stages or anything similar to a real CAT it is just a piece of pipe that have some round metal rings that have small holes in them , i think the previous owner took it to some cheap exhaust shop to replace some parts and this is what they came with

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2018, 12:06:55 »

If the cat failed on a 2.2, I suspect that is a symptom, not the cause.

Get the live data readings.

And personally, I think your mechanic is inept, sorry.

i may agree with you that it is a symptom , but in the first place that wasn't even a Cat , it doesnt seem to be one , it is just a round looking pipe with metal rings inside it with holes in them , and they were broken and making a ringing noise , i think the previous owner took it to some cheap exhaust shop with uneducated staff that replaced the wrong parts in wrong places.

about the live readings what kind of data is needed to tell about my issue , can you please guide me to them

Thanks!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 September 2018, 19:21:59 »

Start with the LTFT.
Grumpy old man

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2018, 18:25:59 »

Start with the LTFT.

i watched some youtube videos to understand the long term and short term fuel trims , so now i can do this diagnosis my self i have my own Bluedriver OBD , ill go test them and see what i come out with , noting that the car now is working perfectly and strong

Thanks for your Guideline!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.