Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unplanned waterfall in my house.  (Read 1328 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Unplanned waterfall in my house.
« on: 08 October 2018, 19:32:16 »

The central heating overflow tank has been overflowing and disturbing me at night in these high winds where the water can be blown onto the ensuite shower window and window sill. I ordered a new ball valve up last week and fitted it yesterday. As the house is 41 years old and this is the first time it has been replaced I thought it might be awkward to do, but it all went very smoothly. Turned the water back on checked to make sure there were no leaks from the tank joints or adjacent cold water tank, another job, jobbed. :y So I thought. :-[

During the night when I went to the toilet I stepped on a wet bit of carpet and found water running down the wall and on the inside of the builtin wardrobe door frame. Put a bucket underneath to catch the water, went up into the loft checked all the joints, that the expansion tank and main cold tank were dry and couldn't see any other leaks, with the raised boards the tanks are on being bone dry, so I left it until this morning.

Again checked everything and then went to the awkward to reach part where all the pipes go under the floor to the airing cupboard. I could then feel wet rockwool insulation, so pulled this away and could see water dripping from the main outlet pipe from the main cold water tank. Traced this along with my hand and couldn't find a leak but did notice some corrosion on a pipe resting on this pipe. Run my finger along the corrosion felt a lump of pipe fall away and saw a big jet of water. Rushed down starts turned the cold water off grabbed a bucket and a bailer, turn on the cloakroom washbasin taps and bathroom taps as I went upstairs rapidly, confirmed my bedroom now had an unplanned waterfall feature through the ceiling and got back into the attic with my bucket and bailer rapidly. Traced the leaking pipe back and found it was the central heating internal expansion overflow pipe. The expansion tank was still about half full, so I was able to bail about 2/3 of a bucket of water out of it.

Where the pipe is so awkward to get to I decided to cut it several inches below the leak and replace the section of pipe. On inspection the pipe has a double fatigue fracture in it with further metal corrosion problems around what was a 7x5mm hole. :o, This fracture could have let go at anytime, so it could have been much worse if that had happened during the night or when I wasn't at home.

I've used a soldered joint for joining the new top section to the existing pipe as I could do that in my garage and a compression joint for the other one as it saved me partially draining the central heating system and also because the joint is in the vicinity of the plastic cold water tank, plastic overflow pipe, and a couple of roof joists. Water back on, the pipe is dry as a bone, so just got to wait for the ceilings and carpets to dry and I will then replace, re-artex and repaint as necessary.

The corrosion on the pipe suggests it has been weeping slightly for sometime and me disturbing it, replacing the ball valve, making the leak worse. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

Re: Unplanned waterfall in my house.
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2018, 19:38:51 »

I have the perfect tool for jobs like this. A telephone.  :)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2018, 19:41:14 »

Why? Is it waterproof and does it float? :P
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2018, 19:57:36 »

Yes....you can call a professional 'shower mender' who is also an expert in drains, guttering, roofs, chimney's, gardening, driveways and anything else you can think of.  :)

Or......do it yourself.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2018, 20:47:48 »

Ah plumbing. Our least favourite job.

My mum and dads bathroom sink taps were leaking so thought I would replace them with modern lever jobs. Suffice to say it was a git of a job.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2018, 20:58:51 »

Yes....you can call a professional 'shower mender' who is also an expert in drains, guttering, roofs, chimney's, gardening, driveways and anything else you can think of.  :)

Or......do it yourself.
I have an insurance policy that covers the plumbing bit.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2018, 20:59:48 »

Ah plumbing. Our least favourite job.

My mum and dads bathroom sink taps were leaking so thought I would replace them with modern lever jobs. Suffice to say it was a git of a job.
Tap glands are quite a simple job. Well, I thought so.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2018, 21:13:31 »

Or......do it yourself.
I have an insurance policy that covers the plumbing bit.
Quite, and also the subsequent repairs  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2018, 22:49:39 »

Always do my own plumbing, then I know how well (or badly ::)) it has been done. :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2018, 23:54:23 »

Had my usual plumber round last week to fit bath and basin taps and also new monobloc in the kitchen. 50 quid he said, (i supplied the taps). Gave him an extra tenner, job jobbed. :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.