Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Rear wheel bearings?

(1/4) > >>

Jimbob:
So big blue has a noise that’s been going on a little bit.

It’s coming from the rear and sounds a bit like the brake pads are catching. Took them out cleaned up callipers and it remains.

It varies in noticeable ness with road surface and speed. Can also feel the ‘pulse’ through the handbrake. I can’t detect play, but I rarely can to be honest.

Blue is now at 172k and I think they are both original.

With the back of the car in the air with engine on and in drive it is noticable. Wheels don’t spin particularly freely if spin by hand so think there is resistance somewhere

Evident both side but passenger side is worst.

Thoughts? I was thinking brakes initially and could still be tempted to take the callipers off and give them a good clean but not very hopeful after the pad out clean didn’t do a lot

Thinking now to chuck it in for both wheel bearings. No way am I attempting it myself if it is that.

amba:
On my old Elite it was very evident when you applied more load to 1 side than the other ..either by steering at around 40/50mph or when turning at similar speed.

Agree with not whishing to attempt replacing yourself  ;)

LC0112G:
Which pads have you cleaned up? The pads in the rear calipers, or the handbrake shoes inside the drums?

I'd be replacing the handbrake shoes before attacking the bearings. The bearings make a rumbling sound IME. And yes, the bearings are a git to change.

Jimbob:
Normal pads. Shoes and disks all 2 years and 12000 miles old

Noise doesn’t change a lot with the handbrake on

Nick W:
With some basic tooling, rear wheel bearings are a simple job. £30 part and 2 hours in the street for your first one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version