Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit negotiations  (Read 69022 times)

STEMO

Re: Brexit negotiations
« Reply #570 on: 09 December 2018, 20:48:46 »

Anyway there is some truth in the EU bendy banana story, as there are EU regulations that control the production and standards of fruit to be sold in the EU and Commission Regulation 2257/94 states that bananas must be "free from malformation or abnormal curvature."   :P

I'm sure that pre-1973 there were British regulations that did much the same thing, and post 29th March 2019 the regulation will endure, albeit converted to a UK regulation.  ;)
Oh dear. The EU want to ban my knob.  :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 09 December 2018, 21:40:43 »

Anyway there is some truth in the EU bendy banana story, as there are EU regulations that control the production and standards of fruit to be sold in the EU and Commission Regulation 2257/94 states that bananas must be "free from malformation or abnormal curvature."   :P

I'm sure that pre-1973 there were British regulations that did much the same thing, and post 29th March 2019 the regulation will endure, albeit converted to a UK regulation.  ;)
Oh dear. The EU want to ban my knob.  :(

EU Commission Regulation 605/2010 covers cheese.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 09 December 2018, 21:58:21 »

One thing's for sure we all know a lot more about the EU than we did two and a half years ago.  ::)
I think (thick) joe public aren't. They believe what the BBC/Sky/Daily Fail/Guardian (included for fairnest) etc tell them.

I believe that is why individual views are so entrenched, and differing views must be wrong.

That's why the EU will roll over and give us the crown jewels, and conversely, project doom will happen.  Obviously, reality sits in the middle somewhere.

That's a gross underestimation regarding the perceptive ability of the voting public.

You've never had to deal with the general public in any way whatsoever have you?

I envy you :-\

One could say that that displays another element of nescience on your behalf ...... ;)

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 10 December 2018, 11:31:16 »

- EU and Commission Regulation 2257/94 states that bananas must be "free from malformation or abnormal curvature."
That is not true.

The original UK publicity was a joke article in, I think, the Daily Mail and unfortunately people did not realise they were being taken for a ride.  Boris Johnson trotted it out repeatedly as one of his campaign lies.

The Directive is a classification scheme which classifies bananas as falling into one of three different "quality classes", much the same as eggs are classified as small, medium and large.  Apples are classified as Extra, Grade I and Grade II. 

The reason for the classification regulations is that a grocer usually buys fruit blind, without seeing it, and therefore needs to know what he is getting.  Previously, there were many different grades used by the different producing countries and the traders asked the EU to bring some clarity by defining common EU standards.  Once a fruit has landed in the EU it "loses" it producing country's classification and is classified into one of the three EU classifications. 

Banana classifications have the same name as apple classifications, namely Extra, Class I and Class II.  Extra are the highest quality bananas and only these have tight limits on their shape.  The two lower quality grades are Class 1 and Class II and both are permitted to deviate from the shape norms. 

It all sounds eminently sensible to me.  Customers are very picky and will reject malformed or tiny bananas.  Were I to be a grocer I would want to know the quality of what I was buying and paying for, and not pay premium prices for poor quality fruit.

STEMO

« Reply #574 on: 10 December 2018, 11:49:43 »

Laura Kuenssberg is reporting that the vote has been pulled. Nothing official yet.

STEMO

« Reply #575 on: 10 December 2018, 11:52:18 »

And, I guess, you've all heard that the ECJ has ruled that we can cancel article 50 and all go back to being nice Europeans, and the other members can do sweet FA to stop us.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 10 December 2018, 11:53:20 »

Laura Kuenssberg is reporting that the vote has been pulled. Nothing official yet.

If true it shows the government has no confidence in it....

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 10 December 2018, 11:53:54 »

- EU and Commission Regulation 2257/94 states that bananas must be "free from malformation or abnormal curvature."
That is not true.

The original UK publicity was a joke article in, I think, the Daily Mail and unfortunately people did not realise they were being taken for a ride.  Boris Johnson trotted it out repeatedly as one of his campaign lies.

The Directive is a classification scheme which classifies bananas as falling into one of three different "quality classes", much the same as eggs are classified as small, medium and large.  Apples are classified as Extra, Grade I and Grade II. 

The reason for the classification regulations is that a grocer usually buys fruit blind, without seeing it, and therefore needs to know what he is getting.  Previously, there were many different grades used by the different producing countries and the traders asked the EU to bring some clarity by defining common EU standards.  Once a fruit has landed in the EU it "loses" it producing country's classification and is classified into one of the three EU classifications. 

Banana classifications have the same name as apple classifications, namely Extra, Class I and Class II.  Extra are the highest quality bananas and only these have tight limits on their shape.  The two lower quality grades are Class 1 and Class II and both are permitted to deviate from the shape norms. 

It all sounds eminently sensible to me.  Customers are very picky and will reject malformed or tiny bananas.  Were I to be a grocer I would want to know the quality of what I was buying and paying for, and not pay premium prices for poor quality fruit.

Does that not seem to suggest that they have to be free from malformation or abnormal curvature ?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 10 December 2018, 11:54:03 »

And, I guess, you've all heard that the ECJ has ruled that we can cancel article 50 and all go back to being nice Europeans, and the other members can do sweet FA to stop us.

Could be heading this way.

STEMO

« Reply #579 on: 10 December 2018, 11:56:57 »

If true it shows the government has no confidence in it....
No confidence? TM was on a hiding to nothing and she certainly knew that. This is either part of a grand plan or a monumental f*uck up. Answers on a postcard, please.

STEMO

« Reply #580 on: 10 December 2018, 12:01:34 »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: 10 December 2018, 12:12:37 »

That is not true.

It is true and the link below from the EU parliament proves this, but what you write is also largely correct.  :y

I did say in my post that it was part of EU regulations governing standards of fruit.  ::)

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/media/euromyths/bendybananas.html
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: 10 December 2018, 12:14:27 »

I'm searching for somewhere to live:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/23/cnngo.great.places.recluse/index.html

I believe North Korea is welcoming scousers at the moment. The crime rate is too low and needs bringing into line with the west.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: 10 December 2018, 13:52:45 »

I suspect we could well be watching a put up job. She comes back with her one and only deal, everyone screams about how shite it is etc. She goes back and gains some small concessions and comes back triumphant and enough MP,s fall into line.
We shall see.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #584 on: 10 December 2018, 15:28:40 »

I suspect we could well be watching a put up job. She comes back with her one and only deal, everyone screams about how shite it is etc. She goes back and gains some small concessions and comes back triumphant and enough MP,s fall into line.
We shall see.

Might have hit the nail right on the head there.🎄🎄🎄
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.