Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Roadside repairs  (Read 8874 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Roadside repairs
« Reply #45 on: 10 December 2018, 18:45:25 »

The price of fish.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11 December 2018, 09:19:26 »

Because there aren’t many mechanics these days, just fitters.  ::)

And they're expected to diagnose and repair increasingly complex systems too - carburettors and distributor ignitions are simple and so are their faults. That is not true of modern inter-connected electronics
Fully managed engine systems are easy as well. Probably more so than carbs and dizzy timing.  Its a different type of skill though, one that many old school cant deal with.

Indeed. And the real reason "old school" mechanics could diagnose and repair carbs and dizzys is that they took time to understand how they work and were thus able to work through a sensible problem solving procedure from symptoms to cure, trying things to reinforce their findings along the way.

Managed systems are just as simple in their operation, but these days they can't be @rsed to get on top of their game, so just replace parts at random. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 11 December 2018, 10:04:43 »

Because there aren’t many mechanics these days, just fitters.  ::)

And they're expected to diagnose and repair increasingly complex systems too - carburettors and distributor ignitions are simple and so are their faults. That is not true of modern inter-connected electronics
Fully managed engine systems are easy as well. Probably more so than carbs and dizzy timing.  Its a different type of skill though, one that many old school cant deal with.

Indeed. And the real reason "old school" mechanics could diagnose and repair carbs and dizzys is that they took time to understand how they work and were thus able to work through a sensible problem solving procedure from symptoms to cure, trying things to reinforce their findings along the way.

Managed systems are just as simple in their operation, but these days they can't be @rsed to get on top of their game, so just replace parts at random. >:(

Agreed, Kevin. Back in my field service days (a lifetime ago!) we used to call such people "panel jockeys", who replaced circuit boards until the equipment worked, and brought the faulty boards back to the workshop for us cleverer types to repair properly!

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 December 2018, 10:51:30 »

And one reason for this is that we now live in a throwaway society, such that it is cheaper to replace a mass produced part than pay the labour costs for troubleshooting. ??? :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11 December 2018, 15:32:34 »

And one reason for this is that we now live in a throwaway society, such that it is cheaper to replace a mass produced part than pay the labour costs for troubleshooting. ??? :y

.. but that only works if you can identify the correct part to replace!

Although with the electronics to which Bigron eludes, most of it is now so densely integrated that it's impossible to fault find and rework at the component level at a customer premises, if at all.

At the same time, it has got much cheaper (for the manufacturer if not for the end user!), making hours spent fault finding less worthwhile.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 12 December 2018, 00:18:06 »

I still have a small spanner on my key ring that fits the mixture adjusting nut on the bottom of SU carbs.

Last needed it on my 1976 Triumph 2500S........along with the trusty colourtune. :y

I could only get it to run smoothly when the engine was running 'rich' which gave 13 MPG. :-\

Still own a Carmine Red 1976 Triumph 2500S which I bought in 1998. Great car, and still rust free (I did a lot of rust preventative measures when I got it). I get about 24mpg on average - it runs sweet as a 'nut'! A bit less whilst towing, but as long as it is running well, the mpg is not worth worrying about! Get plenty of 👍 when out and about from other 'knowledgable' motorists...
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

2boxerdogs

« Reply #51 on: 12 December 2018, 10:50:20 »

I still have a small spanner on my key ring that fits the mixture adjusting nut on the bottom of SU carbs.

Last needed it on my 1976 Triumph 2500S........along with the trusty colourtune. :y

I could only get it to run smoothly when the engine was running 'rich' which gave 13 MPG. :-\

Still own a Carmine Red 1976 Triumph 2500S which I bought in 1998. Great car, and still rust free (I did a lot of rust preventative measures when I got it). I get about 24mpg on average - it runs sweet as a 'nut'! A bit less whilst towing, but as long as it is running well, the mpg is not worth worrying about! Get plenty of 👍 when out and about from other 'knowledgable' motorists...

Watch a lot of the American motoring programmes on Sky they seem to me to appreciate the older cars more than we do in the UK there seems to be a lot of "snoberry" about having the latest registration plate , on chasing classic cars yesterday there was 69 Mercedes 280 se cabriolet which sold for over 200,000 dollars, I would give my right arm to own one of those, that type of front grille on that model is a piece of art + the stacked headlights are superb.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2018, 11:07:09 by Tilbo »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 12 December 2018, 11:33:36 »

My 1976 2500S was finished in a fetching shade of jasmine yellow and looked very smart with standard fit 'Stag wheels'.

Being a long stroke OHV unit designed by Brunel  ::) it was not fond of high revs, but had good low speed torque with overdrive fitted on second, third and top.

It was about 6 years old when I first owned it. The tin worm had already eaten through the sills and the floor under the back seat. :-X

PAS as standard which was not common on cars built in 1976. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 12 December 2018, 13:04:40 »

My 1976 2500S was finished in a fetching shade of jasmine yellow and looked very smart with standard fit 'Stag wheels'.

Being a long stroke OHV unit designed by Brunel  ::) it was not fond of high revs, but had good low speed torque with overdrive fitted on second, third and top.

It was about 6 years old when I first owned it. The tin worm had already eaten through the sills and the floor under the back seat. :-X

Good job it wasn't as "popular with the ladies" as Tigger's Marina, or you'd have gone through that! ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 12 December 2018, 13:08:32 »

Good job it wasn't as "popular with the ladies" as Tigger's Marina, or you'd have gone through that! ;D

I suppose something exotic and Italian would be needed to surpass the sexual vibes given off by a Marina 1.8TC..........something like a Morris Ital perhaps. ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 12 December 2018, 13:13:15 »

Weren't they penned by an Italian  :-\

Not that counts for anything when they were that badly built...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 12 December 2018, 17:16:33 »

Weren't they penned by an Italian :-\

Not that counts for anything when they were that badly built...  ::)

Designed by Michelotti.

Triumph 2000s weren't badly built. The only one of their contemporaries that didn't start rusting away as soon as it was delivered were Volvo 144s.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 12 December 2018, 18:46:52 »

Back in the seventies the 'rozzers' were fond of the Triumph 2.5 PI along with the Rover 3500V8 (the same body as the 2000/2200)

Back in my youth I was chased by both. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 12 December 2018, 18:53:27 »

I was chased by armoured, albeit turbocharged, Land Rovers. They didn't stand a chance, even against my 1159 HB Viva. ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 13 December 2018, 09:40:00 »

Back in the seventies the 'rozzers' were fond of the Triumph 2.5 PI along with the Rover 3500V8 (the same body as the 2000/2200)

Back in my youth I was chased by both. :)

P6,nice :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.