Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need to sack my mechanic.......  (Read 3456 times)

stuart30

I need to sack my mechanic.......
« on: 13 August 2006, 01:14:08 »

[size=12] I posted a while back regarding my wife's Hyundai Accent (no laughing ya buggers) and a possible head gasket failure.

Well after being quoted £300 to have it fixed...that's cash in the hand private work,the guy who originally serviced it just before suspect head gasket failure today had another look at it,the following is just unbelievable but sadly very very true.

Whilst having a coffee and a smoke we stood chatting about what to do with the wife's car....sell it as a non runner,have a mishap with a open petrol cap and a discarded cigi ect when matey boy said ""Have you had it running....does it get hot and over heat"" well of course i haven't thats far to bloomin' easy   so we start it up and leave it running,temp gauge gets to normal operating temp and stays there so matey boy checks rad and that's full...he then says ""There's nought wrong with head gasket boy....lets take it for a drive"".
So off we go...5 mins later thick white smoke covering both lanes and car starts spluttering,so we carry on 2 mins later car is running ok and no smoke..thinking thats odd we carry on few minutes later white smoke and spluttering back,that clears and we drive home....Its at this point he says lets get the oil drained and make sure its at correct level...so the oils dropped and he says (i kid you not) ""Theres ya problem some prat has put the wrong oil in ya engine,its bright bloomin' red,but i cant understand why the dipstick still shows over full.??"".

Its at this point i ask him what colour auto box oil is and he says ""oh no...now dont get pissed its an easy mistake..........."" It only turns out when he changed my engine oil and filter he had took the wrong blooming sump plug out,so the only engine  oil that dropped was via the oil filter....so the other oil was the bloody auto box oil....So my engine oil was basically one and a half times over full and my auto box had hardly any in it.

So engine oil drained (about 8 ltrs,4 of which spills over car park)....couple of bottles of auto box oil in and we go for a drive....engine is back to purring and slips through the gears just as it did when new and best of all NO white smoke.

So my poor wife has been deprived of driving her car due to us breaking down on route to the hospital for gemma"s IVF treatment because matey boy didn't have a clue what he was doing......me angry no.....Raging psychopath for 20 minutes before calming down maybe. ;D[/size]

Oh its for sale by the way.....Anyone want a slighty suspect Hyundai. ;D
« Last Edit: 13 August 2006, 01:16:09 by stuart30 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: I need to sack my mechanic.......
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2006, 06:55:51 »

" It only turns out when he changed my engine oil and filter he had took the wrong blooming sump plug out,so the only engine  oil that dropped was via the oil filter....so the other oil was the bloody auto box oil....So my engine oil was basically one and a half times over full and my auto box had hardly any in it. ......
So after he'd topped up with the new engine oil he obviously didn't use the dip stick to check the level!
Another reason for home servicing when ever possible cos then you'll know it's right! (unless you lose brake fluid!  ::) )

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2006, 07:35:24 »

That's terrible.  I hope he at least gave you a refund!

I assume the Hyundai is front wheel drive, so the gearbox and engine sump plugs are not as obvious as a rwd car, but not checking the level afterwards is just shocking.

Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2006, 07:44:23 »

From how i read it......he managed not only to take the wrong sump bolt off......but then added gearbox oil to the engine..... :o

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2006, 07:53:12 »

An undoubted idiot. Are you sure this guy is a mechanic and doesn't just know somebody who is one :question ::)

The daughter's boyfriend once tried topping up her gearbox oil, poured it down the wrong hole and tried to fill the bellhousing. :o
She brings her car to me now!

all goes to prove that some people should not be allowed near anything mechanical

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2006, 08:14:15 »

Totally unbelievable! But try and look on the bright side, your wifes got her car back and you haven't had to fork out for HG :)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2006, 09:18:10 »

bad news that one mate - i trust you wont be using him again   :(
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2006, 09:55:39 »

what kind of prized tit is this guy, fair enough anyone can make a mistake but this guy is supposed to be trade what would he have done with the HG put engine on backwards?
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

stuart30

« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2006, 20:25:00 »

From how i read it......he managed not only to take the wrong sump bolt off......but then added gearbox oil to the engine..... :o

No from what i can make out (didnt take it all in as i was a tad annoyed  ;D) he took off the gearbox plug thinking it was the oil plug...then took off oil filter,then whacked in the engine oil believing the engine was drained.

So the gear box would have been nearly empty and the engine seriously over full.....still the wifes happy her car has magicly been fixed.

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2006, 20:33:34 »

No from what i can make out (didnt take it all in as i was a tad annoyed  ;D) he took off the gearbox plug thinking it was the oil plug...then took off oil filter,then whacked in the engine oil believing the engine was drained.

What a muppet :exclamation Think you should go round and beat him with a verrry big stick  ::)
« Last Edit: 13 August 2006, 20:33:53 by salty »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2006, 20:55:45 »

Ow, from how I read it he had put ATF in the engine....in which case it would want flushing....

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2006, 21:05:56 »

Could have been worse.....sounds so incompetent he might have put water in...

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2006, 21:09:08 »

engine flush....thats a good point actually, either take it somewhere that know how do deal with cars or better do another oil change youself possibly with some form of engine detergant/cleaner product.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2006, 21:09:38 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2006, 21:33:16 »

I think we may have a contender for the Ronald McBurger NUMPTY OF THE YEAR trophy. No names to mentioned of course, but I think you all know who I mean........... [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=embarassed.gif]

stuart30

« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2006, 00:48:54 »

Im having both the auto oil and engine oil drained and replaced (does 7 liters sound alot for the auto box) next week....im going to humiliate myself and drive it for a few days to make sure it runs OK then its going in auto trader. :)

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2006, 09:38:39 »

I used to know an old boy who had a Jag. He told me that he had recently flushed out the engine by dumping the oil, and filling it back up with parafine before taking it for a drive!!!!!  He did refill it with oil after, I'm amazed that he didn't explode!

Can anyone beat this?
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.