Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: one for the (ex)boys in blue...  (Read 1962 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: one for the (ex)boys in blue...
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2011, 15:33:42 »

Street lights in urban areas mean 30mph, else has to have signage every 250 (?) yards, else its NSL ?

Pretty much...

Highway Code again, for simplicity.
You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table above). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.

[Law RTRA sects 81, 86, 89 & sch 6]
again, my highlight.   :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2011, 16:04:49 »

Although it doesn't get Tony off the hook, double white lines don't actually mean 'no overtaking'. Rule 129 http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306  ;)

Guess that you would need to prove that the car on the inside was either stationary or road maintenance vehicle at less than 10 mph...

.. and, that being the case, why you considered it safe to pass it at 48MPH. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2011, 16:35:33 »

In addition to the above, logic dictates that the speed limit applying to the public road being driven on (of which the driver is obliged to be aware) must also apply to any public road leading from this, unless otherwise indicated.

Un-adopted, unmade or private roads can provide a complicating factor - but it can quite reasonably argued that any driver should be aware of the speed limit on the public road he/she joins, from any of those places, as it is more than reasonable to expect that he/she used the public road to access those places in the first instance and, therefore, must have been aware of any limit (if not, I would suggest there may be a case to be answered for driving without due care and attention if such an admission was made).

« Last Edit: 05 May 2011, 16:49:39 by Zulu77 »

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2011, 16:59:11 »

just pay up and take it on the chin - you were going too fast to adequately slow down behind the hazard, you overtook on a dangerous stretch of road (hence the double white lines) swallow the medicine and move on.

and i've been done speeding - its always stupid, i got a parking ticket the other day returning a video too £30 because i was too lazy/tight to park across the road in a pay and display  :(
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2011, 19:37:01 »

my highlight.  :)

I know, I read it  ;) , but I also knew what I was posting  :y. My point was that people think that double white lines automatically mean ....... 'no overtaking'. In effect it does, but that's not what duble white lines mean.  :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 May 2011, 20:11:42 »

I know, I read it  ;) , but I also knew what I was posting  :y. My point was that people think that double white lines automatically mean ....... 'no overtaking'. In effect it does, but that's not what duble white lines mean.  :y

Didn't doubt what you read and correctly understood, however your post was sparse on detail and the link you quoted gave an error page....   :y 

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 May 2011, 20:40:26 »

:-?  Accelerating to avoid ploughing into a car that has 'panic braked' ?

As for the photo not showing the other vehicle, most show both sides of the road, and they'll probably be able to ascertain the other vehicles speed.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2011, 20:53:28 »

sorry to say over the solids you have no chance take it on the chin and remember next time not to follow so close ;D (runs for cover)
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2011, 21:05:33 »

Didn't doubt what you read and correctly understood, however your post was sparse on detail and the link you quoted gave an error page....   :y 

I was rushed ................ supposed to be working  ::) ::) ::) ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 05 May 2011, 22:29:04 »

Right. All your comments are valid and quite correct. One for the chin me thinks. :-[ Ta very much :y.
Nip is on its way back all signed and correctly filled in. :y
In no particular order:

1. The road is a fast A road, some twisties, some straights, some flowing double bends.
2. The camera sits about 1/3 of the way along a 500yd straight down hill stretch.
3. The camera distance marks coincide with the start of the double white lines.
4. That stretch of road is through a small hamlet, perhaps 15 houses and a hotel.
5. I was on way to pick up at the hotel, which is 100yds past the camera.
6. The car that I was following, I might have been behind for 5 miles, it might have been doing approx 20 mph when I couldn't pass it and up to 70 when I could have. As we approached the camera site, they may have braked hard from 30. I might have got pqssed off and gone round them, then turned right. Common sense would have suggested  ignoring them and following at a distance, human nature over ruled common sense and here we are...
7. The momentum of a two ton car, coupled with a reasonably steep hill did me no favours.
8. The missing sign is at the other end of the site, all the repeaters are present and correct.
9. Using the highway code distances as a guide could I should I have been able to slow enough to make the right turn from that speed? Rhetorical and hypothetical question that needs no answer.

Long and short of it, there's a fixed penalty with, quite rightly, my name on it. :-[ :-X[

sorry to say over the solids you have no chance take it on the chin and remember next time not to follow so close  (runs for cover)
Cover not needed.

Lesson being pay enough attention to what is going on around you, whilst not actually getting caught up in it.

:y

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.