Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust Gas Recirc,, is it needed  (Read 1317 times)

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
Exhaust Gas Recirc,, is it needed
« on: 26 July 2009, 22:08:20 »

3.0 ltr engine is going into a kit car  :)

I will probabally be having new manifolds made, with 3 into 1 pipes.

I would like to keep the intake trumpets and it looks like I have the room.

Is there any real benefit to keeping the exhaust gas side of the system?

Crudely marked  ::)

Martin

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Gas Recirc,, is it needed
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2009, 22:18:09 »

I wouldn't bother, personally. It's mainly an emissions feature, although it does have other benefits like slightly better cruise fuel economy. Not worth busting a gut to keep it I'd say.

What engine management are you planning to run? If you're ditching the OEM setup use a plenum from a 3.2 / 2.6 but with a cable throttle body and you'll neatly remove the EGR mounting and ICV. If you're staying with the OEM system you'll need the ICV, of course, and you'll need the EGR valve connected to avoid fault codes.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2009, 22:34:54 »

Planning on keeping the OEM setup.

I was thinking of blanking the EGR inlet and leaving it in situ to prevent the error code.

I believe that I will be OK on the emmissions as I plan to register as "of undeterminal age", therefore a "Q" plate.

"Q" plate is "visual emmissions only" on the test

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2009, 22:52:12 »

Be careful with the emissions. When I built mine you needed cat emissions if the age of the engine was after August 1995. If you were going for non-cat, you required written proof of the engine's age. As far as I can see, that hasn't changed with the IVA test.

However, EGR only marginally affects emissions during cruise, not at idle, which is where they test it.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2009, 22:53:10 »

Be careful with the emissions. When I built mine you needed cat emissions if the age of the engine was after August 1995. If you were going for non-cat, you required written proof of the engine's age. As far as I can see, that hasn't changed with the IVA test.

However, EGR only marginally affects emissions during cruise, not at idle, which is where they test it.

Kevin

Kev - I don't doubt you - but isn't it 1992?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2009, 23:07:05 »

Kevin

Kev - I don't doubt you - but isn't it 1992?

For production cars it was 1992. For cars registered via the SVA/IVA route it was 1995.  :y

Kevin

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2009, 23:16:21 »

Just read the IVA manual, It will be tested as manufactured in 1997, so it will be BET on their flow chart.

Glad I didn't sell the cats now
 :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2009, 09:47:29 »

Just read the IVA manual, It will be tested as manufactured in 1997, so it will be BET on their flow chart.

Glad I didn't sell the cats now
 :)

If you can find a pre-august 1995 lump that runs well enough to pass the test it might save you some headaches - you can always replace the engine after it's registered. Emissions rules stay with the car for life regardless of subsequent engine changes.

It used to be the case that if the car was subjected to a BET at SVA/IVA it was still regarded as "manufactured on or before 1972" at MOT time (as were all amateur built vehicles), meaning the cats could come straight off again.

Might be worth checking if the MOT rules have changed. I know they now sometimes list the emissions limits on the log book now, so presumably these override the MOT manual at MOT time..

When MOT computerisation first happened my local station tried for ages to correct the "date of first use" of my car from 1972 to 2000, then they tried to do a BET, which it failed, of course. ::)  ;D

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.